Incase Sonic
Apr 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #31 of 134
Got mine in today and I'm listening to them as I type.  It'll take time to give a true assessment but so far so good.  I must say these cans may be the most comfortable headphone in my collection.

The only downside that I've noticed so far is that during my second listen today I added my E11 and when turned up really high on certain songs the right diaphragm distorted a bit.  For the price, definitely a keeper.

happy listening

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #32 of 134
I really have to get around to posting my impressions here about these cans.  I still really like them.  And yeah- nothing really surpasses them in comfort.  The sound sig is definitely a 'V' and the bass is much bigger than I initially described.  It must've been the loud environment that was covering that up in the store.  But the highs, although on the bright side, are quite sweet and I don't get fatigued listening to them despite that.  I think these cans are quite the sleeper deal out there- especially at the price they've been going for lately on Incase.com, Living Social, and Woot.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #33 of 134
I would love to see further impressions. Seems the general concensus (in the reviews I have read) is that they have screeching highs

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #34 of 134

Quote:
I would love to see further impressions. Seems the general concensus (in the reviews I have read) is that they have screeching highs

"screeching"??? no, not to my ears...not even close.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 134
Perhaps "screeching" is too strong a word. Seemed that the treble became irritating esp. at higher volumes, harsh and metallic characteristic.

Perhaps you could compare the Sonics to your other headphones of experience.

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #36 of 134
Has anyone auditioned the little brother to these cans? The Reflex. Just curious how they compare as they share the same driver. What types of music do the Sonics like? Are they worth the money or are they more audio jewelry like Beats and the like.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #37 of 134

Quote:
Has anyone auditioned the little brother to these cans? The Reflex. Just curious how they compare as they share the same driver. What types of music do the Sonics like? Are they worth the money or are they more audio jewelry like Beats and the like.

IMO, they are worth it if you can find them for a serious discount. I paid $76 for my sonics.
They can handle all music except some dub step/drum and bass...with extreme drops.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #39 of 134
I picked up a pair of the Reflex for 49 bux as I had a store credit at Urban Outfitters, I thought what the hell. I am listening to them as I type and am pleasantly surprised. Bear with me as this is my first review.

1. Drive type = Diaphram
  2. Driver size = 40mm
  3. Frequency Response = 20Hz - 20KHz
  4. Impedence = 32± 15% @ 1KHz
  5. Sound Pressure Level = 97± 3dB @ 1KHz
  6. THD = Max 5%
  7. Number of Drivers = 2
  8. Number of microphones = 1

The packaging is clean and minimalist, which I like. Inside the headphones are nestled in a piece of dense foam and held in place with twist ties. There is an instruction manual and that's it, no bags, no extra cords, just the headphones. Nice. 

Once out of the box the headphones are sleek looking, the inside of the headband is covered in the same soft, plush material that covers the pads. The outside of the headband is covered in a matte vinyl. The cups slide up and down in slots in the band and should accommodate most head sizes. Clamping force is a bit tight, but not unreasonable. The soft cups make up for it.The mesh covering the drivers on my black pair is lime green, which really jumps out at you when compared to the black of the rest of the phone. The cable terminates out of the left cup, and is quite thick with a rubber coating. The gold plated 1/8" jack is at a 90 degree, some may prefer this, some may not. I prefer a straight plug, but I digress. Enough with esthetics, on to the sound.

I always try out my new headphones with my eyepod first, them run them off my Fiio E11. I feel doing this gives me a baseline; if the phones sound decent out of the eyepod alone they will probably sound better or will be better controlled with my amp. The Reflex's are advertised as "Made for iPod" and at 32 ohms they should be easy to drive. They are easy to drive and sound decent out of an eyepod. I put them through the usual paces with some Pink Floyd, old Metallica, NIN for some bass, Slayer, Tom Waits. Although I had to have the volume at 90% on my eyepod they sounded pretty decent. The highs were a bit bright, the mids were fairly forward, a touch recessed but there none the less, the bass was tight if a little light. All in all these phones sounded really good for the money. So I thought they would probably sound even better with a little more juice. Yep I was right. The Fiio brought out the mids even more, highs were better but could get a little out of hand if things got too busy, never sibilant or harsh though. The bass came out of hiding with the amp, not sub bass, but good mid bass and filled out the bottom end and tightened things up a lot.

Overall I must say to my ears these phones are fun, they like energetic music, guitars especially. Gradoesque? Perhaps. It's been a while since I listened to a set of Grados. The Reflexes can be a bit fatiguing given their forward nature but all in all a pretty decent phone for the money. 

Hope that helps if anyone was curious. Sorry if my 'review' was too long, too short, not technical enough. I will get better at this as we go along.

Cheers,
Dan

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #40 of 134

Quote:

I always try out my new headphones with my eyepod first, them run them off my Fiio E11. I feel doing this gives me a baseline; if the phones sound decent out of the eyepod alone they will probably sound better or will be better controlled with my amp. The Reflex's are advertised as "Made for iPod" and at 32 ohms they should be easy to drive. They are easy to drive and sound decent out of an eyepod. I put them through the usual paces with some Pink Floyd, old Metallica, NIN for some bass, Slayer, Tom Waits. Although I had to have the volume at 90% on my eyepod they sounded pretty decent. The highs were a bit bright, the mids were fairly forward, a touch recessed but there none the less, the bass was tight if a little light. All in all these phones sounded really good for the money. So I thought they would probably sound even better with a little more juice. Yep I was right. The Fiio brought out the mids even more, highs were better but could get a little out of hand if things got too busy, never sibilant or harsh though. The bass came out of hiding with the amp, not sub bass, but good mid bass and filled out the bottom end and tightened things up a lot.

Sounds a LOT like the Sonics- perhaps the same sound sig.  The only difference between your description and my Sonics would be the bass; although it sounds like they might be similar in character there too.  At half the price, I'd probably actually like the Reflex more.  The Sonics have no shortage of bass- a bit too much for my tastes.  It doesn't go terribly low and it's not all that clean.  But it's does the job.  All things considered they do a lot more right than wrong and they are much more refined than the Beets.  It's too bad that Monster, Bose and B&W are the only ones on display at the Apple stores.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #42 of 134

Quote:
These seem to be really interesting and have some cool looks as well.  I sure want one.  Are these, in any way possible, comparable to the HD25?

Not sure, having not listened to the HD25s.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 134
Apr 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #45 of 134
I own the HD25-1 II, and I have the Sonics on the way. I'll give a brief opinion of the two after a few days listening to them. I'm also going to compare them to my Creative Aurvana Live HP's, as these are really rebranded Denon's (same Foster drivers - mine modded with foam inside the ear cup).

And I paid $99 on Amazon,...I missed the WooT deal,...darn it! Still, decent price for a mid-fi HP with (supposedly) great SQ. I can't wait!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back