In-Need for the best universal IEM availabe
May 7, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #46 of 49
$380 is a bit pricey for the IE8.  They typically go on sale for $240 from time to time, and you should be able to snag a used pair in the low $200 range.  I think I bought mine some time back for $230 from another member, and that was before the $240 sales started popping up.  There isn't much point paying retail if you don't have to.  Plus a used pair means it's already burned in, and that can be a moderate process, also requiring an amp to do well.  They are pretty efficient and sound good off low power, but they will take a lot of wattage and in part makes burning in fully an issue without a good amp to really push them.  I bought a pair that had 50 hours on them, and they were not fully burned in.  It's something to think about.

May 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #47 of 49

Quote:
Thats what I'm interested also how well the 1964-D,T and Q and Kozees Dual driver custom compare to the W4's and IE8's.

The duals apparently have quite strong bass slam, not intrusive mid bass, but when it calls for it, apparently it's plenty sufficient.

IMHO if you're thinking of customs, have a look at the Unique Melody Merlin, for $780, and UM has a rep in Aus so it'd be much easier to deal with them, you get a quad driver with a dynamic on top of that. Btw new SM3 v2 are coming out, should be able to get 15% off them.

May 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #48 of 49
Are the Merlin's pretty good?  That's a lot of money for me to drop on customs that have to be shipped from overseas, so I'd like to be absolutely sure they're worthwhile before I drop that kind of cash.  Any place in the US to hear them (DC area)?

May 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #49 of 49

Yeah but spending that much I rather put another $100 in and get the UE Reference Customs.
Quote:
The duals apparently have quite strong bass slam, not intrusive mid bass, but when it calls for it, apparently it's plenty sufficient.

IMHO if you're thinking of customs, have a look at the Unique Melody Merlin, for $780, and UM has a rep in Aus so it'd be much easier to deal with them, you get a quad driver with a dynamic on top of that. Btw new SM3 v2 are coming out, should be able to get 15% off them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back