In my case, if my college GPA drops, will it matter?
Dec 12, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I'm hoping for someday, but right now my concern is just finding work at all. (I'm in Massachusetts, btw)

Question: Would it be better to look for an internship after graduation, or to look for a job? Can/should I do both?

I'm only a sophomore so maybe the more experienced grads can help you here but if you can, I'd try get an internship now, while you're still in school. A lot of schools will try to set you up with one during your senior year so maybe ask around? I'm not at a tier one or anything but even at my school, the internship really sets you up for a career within that company or at least, somewhere in the industry.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #32 of 76
I tried talking to my internship coordinator weeks ago, but the guy is quite... impossible. He sent me a vague guideline about how credit internships work, but refuses to answer simple (vital) questions. I've also become disheartened, the only decent internships want full-timers with qualifications I don't have.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A) I go to a small no-name commuter college
B) I'm a business major
C) I have no relevant work experience or connections
D) I don't plan on going to grad school within the next couple years, if ever (lack of money and I'm not sure I can handle it without serious time in the workforce)
E) I'm pretty sure I'll die in some random accident right after graduation

I have a 3.8 GPA, and from the look of things, it'll probably be a 3.5-3.7 before I graduate. Will it hurt me if I'm looking for employment or trying to apply for grad school down the road? Cause I'm pretty much screwed as it is.

Well... if looking for a job selling yourself will matter more.

For grad school it is a combination of gpa, luck, e-mail'ing potential supervisors, TOEFL/GRE scores and statement of purpose.

You mention that it is because of hard classes, if the average drops and your average too then it's normal. And if your gpa is high after 2.5 years it will be hard to drop it more than 0.05 unless you do terrible.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #34 of 76
Since you're not planning on going to grad school, it will make no difference at all. Aside from personal pride, there will be no difference if you have a 2.0 or 4.0; a degree is a degree.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by pimfram /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you're not planning on going to grad school, it will make no difference at all. Aside from personal pride, there will be no difference if you have a 2.0 or 4.0; a degree is a degree.

Actually, some of the job/internship listings on my school's career site had minimum GPA requirements, usually 2.5 or 3.0.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40% does not go towards alcohol consumption or a wii. It goes towards other stimulating activities. Plus you have the fact that I simply do not agree with what I'm being taught. I'd rather be learning pratical stuff from a successful investor than my lecturers who huge their linear models and their "low risk" strategies.

I'm still learning after over 20 years. I was a Wall Street options trader on the AMEX and Philly Exchange many years ago. I started as a clerk and was a floor trader. If I didn't put 100% of my effort throughout college, I wouldn't of had the opportunity to begin with.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #37 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40% does not go towards alcohol consumption or a wii. It goes towards other stimulating activities. Plus you have the fact that I simply do not agree with what I'm being taught. I'd rather be learning pratical stuff from a successful investor than my lecturers who huge their linear models and their "low risk" strategies.

Oh yeah, when choosing an intern or trainee, I only would choose those that put forth 100% effort at everything. Not when they felt they wanted to.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #38 of 76
I'm 37 now and I cannot remember a single interview where I was asked about my GPA. No one cares much, unless you're applying for a graduate program. Even then, if you get high marks on a standardized test (GMAT, LSAT, etc.) they'll overlook grades. That certainly helped me.

When looking for a job, they mostly look for qualifications, experience and whether you come across as a good fit. They'd much rather have someone personable with a 3.5 than a jerk with a 4.0.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 37 now and I cannot remember a single interview where I was asked about my GPA. No one cares much, unless you're applying for a graduate program. Even then, if you get high marks on a standardized test (GMAT, LSAT, etc.) they'll overlook grades. That certainly helped me.

When looking for a job, they mostly look for qualifications, experience and whether you come across as a good fit. They'd much rather have someone personable with a 3.5 than an ****** with a 4.0.

When you are just graduating from college with no experience, no qualification, just 22yrs old, grades are one of the most important metrics by which you can be measured. Depending on what profession you are going into, grades may get weighted differently, however.

BTW, the job market in 2009 is a lot different from the job market in 1994.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

When looking for a job, they mostly look for qualifications, experience and whether you come across as a good fit. They'd much rather have someone personable with a 3.5 than a jerk with a 4.0.

I refuse to not put forth my best effort just so I don't look like a 'weenie'.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

I don't know about that... it strongly depends on your field. I don't know about business, but I know that in engineering, your GPA is a strong factor on how well you will perform. Then again, engineers aren't known to be personable :p.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #42 of 76
Hey Kirosia,
I'm also attending a B-school in Ma and I have to say that even though the job market is looking up, the finance industry still has one of the highest unemployment rates. With that in mind, I would say to not take any chances and put as much effort as you can in keeping up your grades without killing yourself. A GPA in the 3.7-3.8 range will look very good on your resume. I also agree with chesebert, in that, when you are fresh out of college with no experience, your GPA is going to be the metric that has to stand out.

I also know where you're coming from, senioritis is very difficult to cure.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that... it strongly depends on your field. I don't know about business, but I know that in engineering, your GPA is a strong factor on how well you will perform. Then again, engineers aren't known to be personable :p.

GPA and degree are important in engineering, but so are experience and people skills. It's a common misconception that engineers just sit in a cubicle all day crunching numbers or running finite element analyses. Having the technical know-how is important, but the ability to effectively communicate ideas with customers, bosses, and other engineers is critical. Being personable, maybe not, but good engineers certainly need people skills.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwell2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GPA and degree are important in engineering, but so are experience and people skills.

In my experience with engineering, the only time GPA is actually relevant is when you try to get your first job. At this time, it might be a deciding factor but once you've been practicing for a bit, future employers are only interested in what you've done and GPA flies out the window.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

I'm 37 now and I cannot remember a single interview where I was asked about my GPA.

I've done about 35 interviews in the last two years, and I've been asked about my GPA/grades on at least 10 of them (both positive and negative comments). One interviewer even asked if I was a high school valedictorian.

Quote:

friends do not let friends go to law school.

I am not even half joking either.

Sorry you aren't happy about things. At the same time, could the sentiment be at least in some part due to the fact that we are in the middle of finals right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back