In my case, if my college GPA drops, will it matter?
Dec 11, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 76
Quote:

Are you looking for justification for not putting forth your best effort? At the end of the day, you're the only one looking at yourself in the mirror.

No, I know why I'm not at my best. It's strange, my mind prevents me from making certain choices if they cross some arbitrary barrier. And I'm bat**** insane.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I know why I'm not at my best. It's strange, my mind prevents me from making certain choices if they cross some arbitrary barrier. And I'm bat**** insane.

I've stated my opinion. Obviously there are others that differ from mine. Pick one that fits yours and I'm sure that'll work for you. Ask enough people and you'll hear what you want to hear. But if anyone thinks I'm going to say that giving 60% effort for your higher education is okay because it's stressful to give it your all needs to grow up or you're just accepting mediocrity. If you want to use that extra 40% to get drunk or play your wii then you need to adjust your priorities. Please don't say you don't have a wii. You know what I'm talking about.

Ross

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 76
I think you're taking my words a bit too offensively, as they aren't meant to be. Also, a little overboard with the blind accusations. The reason why I don't push myself isn't just because of stress, in fact I actually thrive off of it. It's more my mindset, which in itself is too complicated and well, strange, to get into. It's actually taken me years to even get to the point I'm at now, and I don't plan on stopping my growth.

Also, I rarely drink (you know those mini-bottles of liquor? I'll buy one and it will last me a few months at least) nor do I spend all my free time fondling my Italian plumber.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 76
There are a lot of things that one gains from College, and I would argue many of them are just as important as grades. Ten years on, I would be hard pressed to tell you much of what I learned or remembered from classes. However the social skills I defined in a University atmosphere, well I rely on those everyday.

And I am by no means saying slack off. But a successful, well rounded College Education includes more than grades.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot of things that one gains from College, and I would argue many of them are just as important as grades. Ten years on, I would be hard pressed to tell you much of what I learned or remembered from classes. However the social skills I defined in a University atmosphere, well I rely on those everyday.

And I am by no means saying slack off. But a successful, well rounded College Education includes more than grades.

I don't think I've made myself clear. I'm sorry. I'm not really talking about grades, per se. I'm talking about the effort someone puts into things in life. Choosing to not perform one's best. Accepting to be average by choice. Throughout all our lives we will be asked to decide on a path. We all will decide to either take the easy route or the more difficult one. Which one will be best for you?

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

I'm talking about the effort someone puts into things in life. Choosing to not perform one's best. Accepting to be average by choice. Throughout all our lives we will be asked to decide on a path. We all will decide to either take the easy route or the more difficult one. Which one will be best for you?

The circumstances vary by each individual, just because someone doesn't do their penultimate best, doesn't necessarily they choose to. In my case, I can't. I'm just not at the point where I can both mentally and physically push myself to that extent. I just don't have the motivation, the strength, the whole mindset needed.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

The circumstances vary by each individual, just because someone doesn't do their penultimate best, doesn't necessarily they choose to. In my case, I can't. I'm just not at the point where I can both mentally and physically push myself to that extent. I just don't have the motivation, the strength, the whole mindset needed.

That, it'self, is a choice.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 76
That, it'self, is a pretty cruddy answer. There are often powerful factors leading to and surrounding the choices certain people can make or have. As I mentioned, I'm currently in the processing of improving myself, but I'm just not there yet. And this thread is about the realistic consequences of having my GPA drop a few points, not to justify sub-optimal effort on anyone's part.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #24 of 76
It only really matters if you want to go to law school. Law schools obsess about GPA.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #25 of 76
Quote:

A) I go to a small no-name commuter college
B) I'm a business major
C) I have no relevant work experience or connections
D) I don't plan on going to grad school within the next couple years, if ever (lack of money and I'm not sure I can handle it without serious time in the workforce)
E) I'm pretty sure I'll die in some random accident right after graduation

I have a 3.8 GPA, and from the look of things, it'll probably be a 3.5-3.7 before I graduate. Will it hurt me if I'm looking for employment or trying to apply for grad school down the road? Cause I'm pretty much screwed as it is.

small no-name commuter college means no real opportunity to get a good job. I define good BBA job as a job in one of the major accounting firms, IBs, PE funds, Management consulting firms (extrmeely boring and mindless, but I digress), or Fortune 25 companies.

grad school is an option, but you should take your GRE/GMAT/LSAT/MCAT before making that decision. high GPA will help if you do decide to apply.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It only really matters if you want to go to law school. Law schools obsess about GPA.

friends do not let friends go to law school.

I am not even half joking either.
frown.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
small no-name commuter college means no real opportunity to get a good job.

grad school is an option, but you should take your GRE/GMAT/LSAT/MCAT before making that decision. high GPA will help if you do decide to apply.

I doubt I'd do well, my math skills in particularly are sub-par, to say the least. I'd make an effort if grad school was feasible, but I can't honestly can't afford it. I'm unwilling to take loans without some sort of stable employment.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

I doubt I'd do well, my math skills in particularly are sub-par, to say the least. I'd make an effort if grad school was feasible, but I can't honestly can't afford it. I'm unwilling to take loans without some sort of stable employment.

Depending on what field you're in, if you secure a good job after graduation and prove your worth to your employer, some will pay for you to enroll in an EMBA program or reimburse your tuition. If you're in accounting, the big 4 will usually do this in exchange for a promise to work at the company for a certain amount of years.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 76
That's what I'm hoping for someday, but right now my concern is just finding work at all. (I'm in Massachusetts, btw)

Question: Would it be better to look for an internship after graduation, or to look for a job? Can/should I do both?

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #30 of 76
40% does not go towards alcohol consumption or a wii. It goes towards other stimulating activities. Plus you have the fact that I simply do not agree with what I'm being taught. I'd rather be learning pratical stuff from a successful investor than my lecturers who huge their linear models and their "low risk" strategies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back