in love with Grado SR1i...what is comparable in a closed back?
Feb 14, 2011 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sy0296

New Head-Fier
i've had the luxury to demo a bunch of headphones in the past week or so, and I've absolutely fallen in with with the Grado SR1i.  

Is there anything that can compare to these Grado cans in a closed back?  Anything with a similar sound signature?

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 12
yeah believe me, i tried shopping for a closed back version of my SR80i...

i said, "***k it, im taking my grados whever i go!"

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 12
i know i will end up keeping the these RS1i, but I need a set I can use on public transportation/airplanes...probably going to end up with the beyerdynamics t5p because of the cans i've been auditioning, these sound best to me.  that being said, they still can't touch the SR1i and are more expensive...just doesn't make sense

no luck?  anything even come close?

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 12
The best thing for loud settings like airplanes are in ear monitors (IEM).  They do a much better job of sealing out noise than closed headphones do.  My Etymotic ER4P are my choice when onboard a plane.  My AT ESW10JPN don't seal out as much noise.  On the other hand, it's a pain to unplug your ears with an IEM and then reseal every time the person next to you wants to say something to you.  

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 12
yup, IME would work best and they actually have been my primary travel earphones for the past few years.  i used to have a set of er4s which i used for a couple years until my cat chewed through the wires.  instead of getting them re-cabled, I bought a set of shure e530pth which i didn't like...went from the shure to a set of ultimate ears triplefi.10 which have been in my backpack/brief case for the last 2 years.  

i've never been completely happy with the triplefi.10 because of the boosted bass and mid range.  they also hurt my ears after an hour of usage...the problem of needing to hear the outside world is also an issue on airplanes and public transportation.

so i was actually going to purchase some custom IME or re-shell the triplefi.10 but I figured if I was going to spend the money, wouldn't it be better to upgrade the sound as well?

anyways, so the conclusion is I've fallen in love with the RS1i but it's not usable for the scenario's I would be using headphones.  my current top contender after auditioning is the beyerdynamic t5p but it's a tad too bright for my taste and it's simply just not as good as the RS1i even though it's a few hunderd bucks more expensive

help!!!

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 12
ive used my grado in a plane before... of course it didnt sound good there.

i dont know, but i think if youre not going for 36-hour flights you could make do with cheaper IEMs or even decent earphones.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 12
my job requires me to travel between USA and Asia and sometime Europe about once a month.  In the past 4 years, I've racked up over 500,000miles in the air and it's still counting.  Add shuttles, taxi's, subways, trains, hotels/motels it's thousands of 'alone' hours I spend on the headphones while traveling.  

i don't want to give up on finding the perfect set of closed cans, but at this point it looks like i might be going back to an IME :frowning2:

any more suggestions?

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 12
I won't say they're similar- but the least dissimilar closed back headphone I've heard is SRH840.  It has good forward mids (unlike D5000, D7000, DT770-80), sufficient and controlled bass (unlike K271 and D5000, respectively) is fairly fast and aggressive (more so than DT250) and does not suck outright (unlike MDR-V6).  But unlike RS-1 it has fairly soft highs, and does not at all have an open, spacious sound.  And to my ears, their signature has a family resemblance to SE530, which you do not like.  Which officially makes you a crazy person, by the way 
tongue.gif
.  The upcoming SRH940 is said to be a bit brighter, so that might be a slightly better match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back