IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #1,366 of 3,340
At the risk of taking this even further off topic, perhaps some of those vented ciems might fit you better. Such as 64 audio, Inearz or the new acs ambient range? To get this back on topic perhaps Bob could introduce a model with adel type technology in the future?
Dont forget that there is a proof on his website somewhere that he is planning on making ciems too.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,367 of 3,340
Dont forget that there is a proof on his website somewhere that he is planning on making ciems too.

Where is that?

That would be interesting :D

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,369 of 3,340
Where is that?

That would be interesting :D
It was in the the email Bob sent to customers just before Christmas, right after he finished shipping all the units. He painted a picture of where he was planning on going. I don't thi k it was posted here. I may have kept the email; if I can find it, I'll post it. I once asked him if he was OK with reposting what he sends us and he said no (just not the loyalty codes).

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,370 of 3,340
@Skullar I really like the iBasso tuning. To me it has a lovely layered soundstage. Interested to hear your two bits later

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,371 of 3,340
One thing that is a major drawback for me is the fact that it's not isolating very well... When I'm out and about I have to crank up the volume (not ridiculously high, but higher than I would indoors), and I fell that the bass pressure is giving me slight ringing ears afterwards

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,372 of 3,340
After two weeks exclusively with the RAH I got back home, put on my LCD-2 and was... really disappointed :frowning2:

I have the same problem in general... I really am disappointed by how muddy sounding over ears - closed or open - are compared to any decent IEMs...

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,373 of 3,340
@Skullar I really like the iBasso tuning. To me it has a lovely layered soundstage. Interested to hear your two bits later
Which amp did you use?

Reason i want to try it is because i think rah does not need any more warmth from dap. While i might ne wrong about it, and i would like to hear it on warmer source. Dx220 give you a bit of that opportunity with amp6 and i believe amp8 if i reviews are correcct.

My closest other option would be cayin n6ii but it looks really bulky and heavy. Wm1a on the limit of what i can carry around already. and besides, its hard to get it in EU.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #1,374 of 3,340
Today is a new day so all resets have been pressed.

My new cables came today too. Super matchy matchy with the Aten and Zenith. I just need to find my ideal Rah cable.

E4D7B0A2-FAD5-4257-BD06-BDF8F21B90FB.jpeg

So I like the Rah today in so far as I now consider buying another model lol.

My current selections are as follows

Zenith with Aten gold lower nozzle and foams direct with no filter.

Aten with pink lower nozzle with Sedna earfit direct no filter.

Rah with grey lower nozzle with Sedna earfit direct no filter.

I have to use Rah until awkward war things happen, then switch to Aten until the same happens with those then switch to Zenith until same happens then rinse and repeat all day.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,375 of 3,340
Today is a new day so all resets have been pressed.

My new cables came today too. Super matchy matchy with the Aten and Zenith. I just need to find my ideal Rah cable.

So I like the Rah today in so far as I now consider buying another model lol.

My current selections are as follows

Zenith with Aten gold lower nozzle and foams direct with no filter.

Aten with pink lower nozzle with Sedna earfit direct no filter.

Rah with grey lower nozzle with Sedna earfit direct no filter.

I have to use Rah until awkward war things happen, then switch to Aten until the same happens with those then switch to Zenith until same happens then rinse and repeat all day.
I tried your grey low/no nozzle set up, dont have sednas yet so went with whirlwinds.

Bass - for me was very loose uncontrolled and a bit muddy. I changed it to blue and it was way better. I think red should work well if you prefer less bass. But i think lack of top nozzle affects the control a bit. Just my thought though.
Highs - that was quite interesting. It opened up quote a bit. Soundstage improved a bit due to shorter nozzle. Maybe slightly less resolving? But i think it just needs some getting used to. I would say it could definately make it to one of the tuning option is some way.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,376 of 3,340
Oddly, the Rah sounds pretty good off my Asus RoG Phone 2's headphone out. Which is probably using the Quallcomm SoC's built-in dac.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,377 of 3,340
I tried your grey low/no nozzle set up, dont have sednas yet so went with whirlwinds.

Bass - for me was very loose uncontrolled and a bit muddy. I changed it to blue and it was way better. I think red should work well if you prefer less bass. But i think lack of top nozzle affects the control a bit. Just my thought though.
Highs - that was quite interesting. It opened up quote a bit. Soundstage improved a bit due to shorter nozzle. Maybe slightly less resolving? But i think it just needs some getting used to. I would say it could definately make it to one of the tuning option is some way.
It’s not that I prefer less bass, as you say the control is less, I’ve bern through them all multiple times and I find the grey to be the best for the amount of bass I’m looking for, the sub to mid balance and control to suit those requirements, I need it to be as open as possible on the highs and that happens to be a by product of no filter to get more comfort with a better fit. Tips do change the highs drastically. What tip had you used because all mine cover the bass nozzle hole except for the Sedna earfits and it’s only those tips which tune the bass if using no filter.

Edit. I just realised you said whirlwinds. Does that stay on the nozzle ok and also not cover the hole?

I know you said you like the blue nozzle anyway with a filter.

Also I have all my 3 IMR set up differently hence the differing bass on the all.

Another edit. I can’t recall if you have other IMR IEM but try the lower nozzle only on those too.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,378 of 3,340
I found RAH a bit dark out of the box, maybe i’d change nozzles or wait burn in end....
I’m thinking about Halcyon

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,379 of 3,340
It’s not that I prefer less bass, as you say the control is less, I’ve bern through them all multiple times and I find the grey to be the best for the amount of bass I’m looking for, the sub to mid balance and control to suit those requirements, I need it to be as open as possible on the highs and that happens to be a by product of no filter to get more comfort with a better fit. Tips do change the highs drastically. What tip had you used because all mine cover the bass nozzle hole except for the Sedna earfits and it’s only those tips which tune the bass if using no filter.

Edit. I just realised you said whirlwinds. Does that stay on the nozzle ok and also not cover the hole?

I know you said you like the blue nozzle anyway with a filter.

Also I have all my 3 IMR set up differently hence the differing bass on the all.

Another edit. I can’t recall if you have other IMR IEM but try the lower nozzle only on those too.
To be honest i did not check if whirlwinds covered the hole. But i did push them thigh to the ring on the filter.
They stayed on quite well actually i am sure i could use it daily like this

I do have zeniths but i have packed it for now as i will be trying to sell it to a friend tomorrow. I will play around if hes not buying it.

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,380 of 3,340
After two weeks exclusively with the RAH I got back home, put on my LCD-2 and was... really disappointed :frowning2:

@opiumhum welcome in IMR’s family :D
I thought the same about Focal Clear when I listened R1 Zenith for 2 weeks.
ASAP I’ll sell some headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back