IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #1,232 of 3,340
Jan 1, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,233 of 3,340
Did anyone mention the PB One yet? Missed a few pages of the thread

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,234 of 3,340
IMR RED 2 - Errrmm, this is unexpected but I think the RED 2 is kind of better than the Rah! o_0
In some ways anyway... After 60 hours or so this IEM is blowing me away. What Bob has done with the Rah is amazing what he has managed with the RED 2 is very very special indeed.
Want to give it more time yet but compared to the Rah - the bass is much tighter & focused & balanced. Vocals are more natural and more centred / more present. There seems more separation and clarity and yet the sound is warmer and richer. A wonderful contradiction.

Anyway..I was simply wanting a smaller, less expensive, closed back for out and about listening & I think I have my new favourite No.1 IEM
Technically of course the Rah is better and I will certainly enjoy it in those ways but By gum the RED 2 is a very nicely balanced big sound staged fun yet analytical IEM
I very much hope it doesn't get over looked. It is unique in its own way but offers 'that' IMR sound with qualities for a closed back IEM that are just magical and offer some TOTL qualities - Had moments of absolute perfection...virtually impossible for my fussy ears :)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,235 of 3,340
So... as it turns out I just purchased the last Rah available from IMR (returned unopened box, got lucky)

Should get them some time next week :)
Lucky you indeed. By the time yours arrive, mine will have just broken in and my Fusions will be at my doorstep. Looks like we're on the same journey in reverse order.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,239 of 3,340
I can not get enough of the bass and sub bass and how you can feel it way outside of your ears and physically gives you the sensation on your body. Some tracks it’s across my shoulders my chest and shoulder blades sort of area, my hair tingles on the top of my head.
Pow pow pew pew

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #1,240 of 3,340
Try other nozzles along the way, I bet you'll hear more detail compared to black. Except for gold. Probably throw those in the trash if they sound like mine
Curiosity got the better of me and I screwed on the golds... I think mine sound like yours; they not only attenuated the volume but also deadened the sound. Detail and clarity went out the window. Now these are muddy. Won't be playing with them again.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,241 of 3,340
Curiosity got the better of me and I screwed on the golds... I think mine sound like yours; they not only attenuated the volume but also deadened the sound. Detail and clarity went out the window. Now these are muddy. Won't be playing with them again.
Just to save me some time reading through the whole thread, what combo are you running that you prefer? Thank you SO much!

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #1,242 of 3,340
Just to save me some time reading through the whole thread, what combo are you running that you prefer? Thank you SO much!
There's a whole context here. First off, I love them. Straight out of the box with Black Black was impressive to say the least. I've only got about 30 hours on them now so they are not burned in yet and I haven't really tried any combinations of uppers & lowers yet because the sound will change as the burn continues. But I have tried the Black with Black and Black with Red. The bass is huge and I think the red upper is my preferred choice from limited experiments. I've also tried for just a few minutes the Blue lower with Red Upper. It still has a good bass response but reduces some of the (and I'm not sure how exactly to express this) bigness or depth of the bass. I also like the blue lower but I really didn't do any critical listening with it. To me the Black is like a well controlled bass Canon and the Blue is a well controlled big bass gun. At present I'm sticking with Black Red until I reach 150 hours then I'll start playing with different combos but I suspect it'll be Black or Blue on the lower. 5 minutes with Gold dissuaded me from any further interest in it. Hope this helps somehow.

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #1,243 of 3,340
There's a whole context here. First off, I love them. Straight out of the box with Black Black was impressive to say the least. I've only got about 30 hours on them now so they are not burned in yet and I haven't really tried any combinations of uppers & lowers yet because the sound will change as the burn continues. But I have tried the Black with Black and Black with Red. The bass is huge and I think the red upper is my preferred choice from limited experiments. I've also tried for just a few minutes the Blue lower with Red Upper. It still has a good bass response but reduces some of the (and I'm not sure how exactly to express this) bigness or depth of the bass. I also like the blue lower but I really didn't do any critical listening with it. To me the Black is like a well controlled bass Canon and the Blue is a well controlled big bass gun. At present I'm sticking with Black Red until I reach 150 hours then I'll start playing with different combos but I suspect it'll be Black or Blue on the lower. 5 minutes with Gold dissuaded me from any further interest in it. Hope this helps somehow.

Black lower / blue upper is worth a listen - gives the upper range a little more clarity and airiness for me. It's also Bob's preferred filter combo when I asked him for suggestions. :wink:

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #1,244 of 3,340
Black lower / blue upper is worth a listen - gives the upper range a little more clarity and airiness for me. It's also Bob's preferred filter combo when I asked him for suggestions. :wink:

I am taking notes and will probably start with that when I get them :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #1,245 of 3,340
I am taking notes and will probably start with that when I get them :)

Think you will enjoy these - prepare yourself for some seriously deep and textured bass (and plenty of it). They like the N6ii, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back