IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #856 of 3,340
Your gonna be hard pressed to find a neutral source outside something like an Objective 2 02 amp! - I am finding differences with sources but the difference in sound caused by this is not the same as that caused by filters! As you say, filters have a much bolder difference

BTW - Anyone else have the new R2 Red closed back IEM coming? - Bob has tuned it specifically for the closed back chassis - Looking forward to hearing what he has managed. If he can get halfway between the Zenith and the Aten (same driver used) Im going to be a happy bunny!
I agree there are differences in sources that's why i said relatively neutral. I mean most sources aren't so coloured that it would mean you chose a totally different filter. If they are then I would question why it's Soo coloured bar maybe tubes

Dec 24, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #857 of 3,340
People are using all sorts of stuff. I was talking about differences between £30 dongle or phone and proper daps. And not all daps are neutral. This also will affect what tips you will use ect.
It all matters.
I totally understand what you're saying however the difference in source is mainly a quality and tiny differences. When you really consider it the tracks you listen to have far more effect than source since mixing and mastering are unbelievably important. I just think it may just confuse people even more when trying to consider source characteristics.

Dec 24, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #858 of 3,340
Your gonna be hard pressed to find a neutral source outside something like an Objective 2 02 amp! - I am finding differences with sources but the difference in sound caused by this is not the same as that caused by filters! As you say, filters have a much bolder difference

BTW - Anyone else have the new R2 Red closed back IEM coming? - Bob has tuned it specifically for the closed back chassis - Looking forward to hearing what he has managed. If he can get halfway between the Zenith and the Aten (same driver used) Im going to be a happy bunny!

With regards to neutrality of source there are others not heard it but I am told that JDS Atom, Mayflower Arc and the THX 789 which I own. With regards to DAPs I'm sure there are some

Dec 24, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #859 of 3,340
Just to have a full picture, let's also mention the sources we are using.

In my case at the moment mainly Tidal Hifi from a a Pixel 4 XL into an iBasso DC-01

Dec 24, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #860 of 3,340
These are the third IMR IEM I have owned and I experienced the same thing! Amazing OTTB. Going through a dull patch then, perking up a bit about 70 hours, then really settling into their full potential after 120 hours or so
Been going through numerous tips. Most balanced by far of the silicons is the Final Silicon Type E - clearest of mids and clarity and -rarely- the bass is tighter with a more focused narrower band. Almost all other tips maintain a huge bass :)

EDIT: Just read this. Interesting . . . Might be off interest to some. Ive only tried and (very much liked) the black 'E' type. Have ordered some pink stem ones

'Final earphones can sound different depending on which eartip is used in regards of insulation and bass response. It is possible to change the bass volume and sound insulation considerably depending on the choice of eartips. Experimenting with different eartips types will result in different outcomes.

The clear version of Type E differs slightly in terms of surface fluency and hardness, and the degree to which they are airtight changes slightly. Owing to this, bass tones become a little lighter, high-pitched tones sound clear, and the sound tends toward clarity.'

Roll on 120 hours. I'm thinking can these get any better? Such an addictive sound its hard to take them out once I have them in. I think I'll just have a quick listen to one song and then I've still got them in an hour later.

Interesting that this is normal with the imr's. I'm sure I had this with the Aten but thought maybe it was me at the time. I bought my R1's as b stock so maybe they were past this stage and they just sounded great from the off.

Cheers for the link to the Type e's. I've ordered some of each colour. I'm intrigued how they'll sound. After paying £20 for 2 pairs for ones from Japan 3 pairs for a tenner seems like a bargain. I won't need 6 pairs so happy to post a pair of each to someone if they want to try them.

I'm pretty astounded by the effect the sednas have had. After listening for a while last night I thought they made the highs too bright. I tried them on a few pairs of iems this morning and had that effect on them too. Made the heir audio 4's very harsh at points which they never usually are.

But listening to them on the rah balanced right now they sound perfect. Not overly bright at all.

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #862 of 3,340
I totally understand what you're saying however the difference in source is mainly a quality and tiny differences. When you really consider it the tracks you listen to have far more effect than source since mixing and mastering are unbelievably important. I just think it may just confuse people even more when trying to consider source characteristics.
I agree about mastering. There will also be genre that will influence what filters you use. I simply cannot use blue or black nozzle for EDM as it is just too bright and highs feel detached from upper mids. . But when i tried classical i prefer black or blue.
Another thing on my wm1a that definately has influence is Balanced output. It has more sparkle compared to SE.

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #863 of 3,340
I'm mainly using an m11 right now, but sources def matter. I just had the element, 789, 888, smsl thx, monolith, fostex, and some others (I forget there was alot).

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #864 of 3,340
You know it's a dream come true when your Rahs arrive in Canada one day before Christmas! Thank you Bob and Merry Christmas to all!

Edit: Having my first look at the differences between the Rah and Aten and it is instantly apparent that the Rah is much taller a unit. Additionally the cable gauge has dropped in thickness compared to the former Aten unit... Will update after listening

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #865 of 3,340
You know it's a dream come true when your Rahs arrive in Canada one day before Christmas! Thank you Bob and Merry Christmas to all!

Edit: Having my first look at the differences between the Rah and Aten and it is instantly apparent that the Rah is much taller a unit. Additionally the cable gauge has dropped in thickness compared to the former Aten unit... Will update after listening

WOWOWW LEGIT so jealous.... I am at a point just giving up until next year since there is no update on the tracking for me... Maybe they took my RAH for themselves :O

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #866 of 3,340
Mine are out for delivery! Very excited to see how it compares to the rest of my collection!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #867 of 3,340

Where are you? I'm in Vancouver and no sign of them yet.....
Still stuck at:
2019-12-12 03:56 LANGLEY HWDC, Item Leaving the UK

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #868 of 3,340
N6ii + RAH + Han Sound Aurora = WOW

4kjDvrG.jpg

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #870 of 3,340
What do you think about RAH compared to your collections?
I would say it's somewhere in the middle.
It's an improved K3003 and IE800.
I would rate it higher than my Rhapsodio Galaxy V2, but below the Eden since the Eden is more balanced across frequencies and sounds more natural.

It's a poor man's version of the LCDi4 :). I think the RAH is good, but the i4 just does it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back