IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #391 of 3,340
BTW pretty huge letdown the same old case and same old filter holder

The case is a good case and also includes the smaller travel case.

Bob did say he was going to use a rubber filter holder and yes it is metal still but, the edges are rounded smoother and the holes are chamfered at the opening, I’m guessing this stops them grabbing so tightly now. Overall it feels a lot more smoother in operation and to hold.

I haven’t tried to separate an upper and lower yet so unsure if they still grab and hold so tightly as the Aten do.

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #392 of 3,340
Been playing mine for an hour or so now (same tips and filters I use with Aten) [using iBasso DX200]
and the big question of course...are the Rah's 'better' than the Atens?.....(already an IEM I would be happy to retire from this hobby with)
In an word yes..YES! Holy Crp YES

The Aten's are World Beating but these Rah's...They are Cosmic, on a whole 'nother level entirely

The 'realism' the Rah's can offer is breathtaking.
Also, everything is bigger. bolder. more authoritative than the Atens. The 3D staging is extraordinary! o_0 -
Try the album - Bon Iver - ii = mind blown :D

One of the delights of this hobby is that when ever you upgrade to a higher performing earphone you sometimes hear more details in your well known music that you have never heard before. I have to say that the Rah's are consistently doing this with EVERY album Im playing.

Each instrument in the mix, in its own right is way more intimate and revealing of its own unique sonic qualities. The fact that they are SO clear and separate in the mix is an Audiophiles dream. The over all presentation comes across as the most unbridled Joy I have ever heard in an IEM

Im going to say it - of the 170 or so earphones/headphones I have owned the Rah's are comfortably now in my No.1 spot

Bob has done it..he really has
I appreciate the exuberant 'new toy' mentality that we can often suffer from, but out of the box without any burn in the Rah's are just extraordinary
I feel genuinely blessed and extremely lucky to own a pair of these diamonds.
My greatest regret is that I will have to eat soon and will have to take them out of my ears! :)
Enough ranting...but Im very confident in saying - the Rah's have a real 'Grammy Award Winning' type of sound

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #394 of 3,340
Exactly my thoughts!!!
:)
following your own comments I looked at your profile as you are a 'new' head-fier and followed your Sonic link
Nice to see someone with qualified ears :wink:

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #395 of 3,340
:)
following your own comments I looked at your profile as you are a 'new' head-fier and followed your Sonic link
Nice to see someone with qualified ears :wink:

I’m simply an audio enthusiast :)

I hope after burn in they become even better because right now I don’t want them to change. I was intending to leave them playing to burn in but they’re perfect now. I believe the point of diminishing returns will hit real hard after these Rah. Ughhhh

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #396 of 3,340
Been playing mine for an hour or so now (same tips and filters I use with Aten) [using iBasso DX200]
and the big question of course...are the Rah's 'better' than the Atens?.....(already an IEM I would be happy to retire from this hobby with)

The Aten's are World Beating but these Rah's...They are Cosmic, on a whole 'nother level entirely

The 'realism' the Rah's can offer is breathtaking. Everything is bigger. bolder. more authoritative. The 3D staging is extraordinary! o_0

One of the delights of this hobby is that when ever you upgrade to a higher performing earphone you sometimes hear more details in your well known music that you have never heard before. I have to say that the Rah's are consistently doing this with EVERY album Im playing.

Each instrument in the mix, in its own right is way more intimate and revealing of its own unique sonic qualities. The fact that they are SO clear and separate in the mix is an Audiophiles dream. The over all presentation comes across as the most unbridled Joy I have ever heard in an IEM

Im going to say it - of the 170 or so earphones/headphones I have owned the Rah's are comfortably now in my No.1 spot

I appreciate the exuberant 'new toy' mentality that we can often suffer from, but out of the box without any burn in the Rah's are just extraordinary
My greatest regret is that I will have to eat soon and will have to take them out of my ears! :)
Enough ranting...but Im very confident in saying - the Rah's have a real 'Grammy Award Winning' type of sound

The 'realism' the Rah's can offer is breathtaking. Everything is bigger. bolder. more authoritative. The 3D staging is extraordinary! o_0

At the moment i am juming between Zeniths and CA Atlas.
And what i can say is that Atlas mids, highs clarity and detailing as well as imaging is miles ahead of R1Z.
However the bass for my taste is too midbass focused. It is missing something in subbass intensive tracks. Yes it is controlled and quite well presented. But feels a fit shallow compared to Zenith. I much prefer r1z bass. Specially with spiral dots. It is massive. Feel less forced and speaker - subwoofer like. Atlas ismore of a beast with rock or mid bass centric genres.

That said. If Rah can combine that imr low end with benefits of Atlas. And so far it sounds like it.
We have a £1000+ flagship killer

Will let you know later.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #398 of 3,340
At the moment i am juming between Zeniths and CA Atlas.
And what i can say is that Atlas mids, highs clarity and detailing as well as imaging is miles ahead of R1Z.
However the bass for my taste is too midbass focused. It is missing something in subbass intensive tracks. Yes it is controlled and quite well presented. But feels a fit shallow compared to Zenith. I much prefer r1z bass. Specially with spiral dots. It is massive. Feel less forced and speaker - subwoofer like. Atlas ismore of a beast with rock or mid bass centric genres.

That said. If Rah can combine that imr low end with benefits of Atlas. And so far it sounds like it.
We have a £1000+ flagship killer

Will let you know later.

The next few weeks is gonna be very interesting that's for sure. :) For me I found a sweet spot with the Atens with the purple nozzle, gold tops + NewBee foams. I found that beyond that, ending with the black nozzles was far too much for me. I prefer a perfect balance of everything. That Bob offers a such low end beast of an IEM along with the options to tone them down to something nearing a well balanced IEM is a testament to him really but I would agree about the flagship killer. If there were Grammys for IEMs I would put my money on the Rahs for sure. Happy days :)

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #399 of 3,340
The Rah bass is outstanding. The Zenith bass I can’t quite get right after the Aten but the Rah bass is truly speaker and sub like. The Aten woofer is now just a sub and the planar gives full detailed bass.

There needs to be a more bass filter than the black it’s that good for me and I’m not a bass head, rather a detail bass appreciator.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #400 of 3,340

Also, everything is bigger. bolder. more authoritative than the Atens. The 3D staging is extraordinary! o_0 -

Bon appétit!
Signed: someone who is still waiting for his Rah to cross the channel

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #401 of 3,340
Bon appétit!
Signed: someone who is still waiting for his Rah to cross the channel

On the bright side, at least you know now you have something very special coming :)
Very much looking forward to your own and everyones impressions

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #402 of 3,340

Hi buddy, i could see from the shockwave III thread you own the ear kegs, and I'd like to ask you how these compare to the rah.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #403 of 3,340
Hi buddy, i could see from the shockwave III thread you own the ear kegs, and I'd like to ask you how these compare to the rah.
Thanks in advance.
Hi
I would LIKE to say the Shockwave III's are better as I have just put them up for sale but....

I'll have to have a proper A/B with them both but I would say that the Shockwave III's are still [for me] one of the best hybrids to come out of China
Really nice low end + sub bass, 3D sometimes holographic soundstage. . . . an absolute delight. TBH its only the Aten and now the Rah's that have
finally forced me to have to part ways with the Shockwaves. If I could afford it the Shockwaves would still be on my 'will never sell list' :frowning2:

Anyway, The Rah's are on a completely different level - To use a car analogy - Top of the range BMW versus the Bugatti...well, maybe not quite the Bugatti but Im sure you get the point!

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #404 of 3,340
The Rah bass is outstanding. The Zenith bass I can’t quite get right after the Aten but the Rah bass is truly speaker and sub like. The Aten woofer is now just a sub and the planar gives full detailed bass.

There needs to be a more bass filter than the black it’s that good for me and I’m not a bass head, rather a detail bass appreciator.

Think the bass is still mainly the Aten DD. Bob sent me a prototype he was playing with that he gave up on for a single planar IEM model - had a listen this morning and unless you jack the driver up with a super high output source (or a small nuclear reactor!) the bass output is pretty anaemic, to say the least. That echoes what the guys at oBravo say about getting decent bass out of a planar IEM with their range of planar / DD hybrids - it's pretty rare/difficult to achieve good bass output from the planar element of the setup with such a small diaphragm driver.

Given the planar demo unit ended up forming the basis for the planar element of the Rah, fairly comfortable that the planar "flavour" comes through in the mids.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #405 of 3,340
Think the bass is still mainly the Aten DD. Bob sent me a prototype he was playing with that he gave up on for a single planar IEM model - had a listen this morning and unless you jack the driver up with a super high output source (or a small nuclear reactor!) the bass output is pretty anaemic, to say the least. That echoes what the guys at oBravo say about getting decent bass out of a planar IEM with their range of planar / DD hybrids - it's pretty rare/difficult to achieve good bass output from the planar element of the setup with such a small diaphragm driver.
Given the planar demo unit ended up forming the basis for the planar element of the Rah, fairly comfortable that the planar "flavour" comes through in the mids.

Interesting - The one thing that occurred to me whilst listening this morning was next to try to go even lighter in the bass than the purple nozzle as the mids still seemed a tad dominated by the low end with one particular album... not a 'problem' by any means. I should add though that Im looking for balance in particular, not so much big bass !
Very helpful comment though, thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back