IMR R2 Aten Thread
Dec 8, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #976 of 1,305
What filter/nozzle combo are others using? I'm fluctuating between red base/red nozzle & red base/green nozzle - think I will stick with red/red, it sounds smoother to me out of my Mojo & my V30.
I've yet to properly burn them in with pink & sines (they have only 10-20 hours of music listening) but I love the sound already, I can't find one aspect where the R1Z is better.

For me, the only combo that gives me a 'perfect' sound is the purple & gold tops + NewBee foam tips :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #977 of 1,305
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't like any of the R2 Aten's included filter combinations.

I tend to prefer a neutral frequency response, so my favorite filter on the R1 and the R1 Zenith was the blue one. Unfortunately, the R2 Aten filter selection doesn't have an equivalent. The closest to neutral, as many have already said, is the pink/pink combo. However, I find the treble to be too subdued, and there's too much midbass that bleeds into the lower midrange.

So, to make a long story short, I've been happiest using a set of blue filters from the R1/R1 Zeniths on the R2 Aten.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #978 of 1,305
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't like any of the R2 Aten's included filter combinations.

I tend to prefer a neutral frequency response, so my favorite filter on the R1 and the R1 Zenith was the blue one. Unfortunately, the R2 Aten filter selection doesn't have an equivalent. The closest to neutral, as many have already said, is the pink/pink combo. However, I find the treble to be too subdued, and there's too much midbass that bleeds into the lower midrange.

So, to make a long story short, I've been happiest using a set of blue filters from the R1/R1 Zeniths on the R2 Aten.
Interesting that you would.choose an IMR IEM with your preference for neutral sound. In my experience even the most 'neutral' R1Z or Aten filter combo is not really 'neutral'. Balanced maybe, but always coloured towards fun and dynamic. I think that's just the character of these IEMs, despite the option of using filters to tweak them. I'd recommend the Aten (didn't like the R1 variants at all) for many reasons but neutral response definitely won't be one of them.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #979 of 1,305
Interesting that you would.choose an IMR IEM with your preference for neutral sound. In my experience even the most 'neutral' R1Z or Aten filter combo is not really 'neutral'. Balanced maybe, but always coloured towards fun and dynamic. I think that's just the character of these IEMs, despite the option of using filters to tweak them. I'd recommend the Aten (didn't like the R1 variants at all) for many reasons but neutral response definitely won't be one of them.
Bob explained it already that he is not aiming for neutral tuning on any og his iems so far, but rather towards what you said - dynamic and fun.
Who knows maybe R3 line up will be going in that direction. But honestly id much prefer it doesnt. Better have it as an option in filter tuning form. You want neutral or analitical, BA set up i think is better generally speaking.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #981 of 1,305
I get sibilance on black / blue nozzles even on dark sources like Mojo. I will definitely return to try these nozzles after burn in to see if it made a difference.
When Bob suggested I use the blue nozzle I feared I would have the same problem (I'm very sensitive to sibilance) but to my surprise, and with Spiral Dot tips, I get nothing but smooth treble. Bob did say - and I have no reason to doubt it - that if I'm hearing sibilance or harshness it's more than likely in the recording itself. And if that's the case, by dulling it with filters you're doing a disservice to properly recorded and mastered music.

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #982 of 1,305
When Bob suggested I use the blue nozzle I feared I would have the same problem (I'm very sensitive to sibilance) but to my surprise, and with Spiral Dot tips, I get nothing but smooth treble. Bob did say - and I have no reason to doubt it - that if I'm hearing sibilance or harshness it's more than likely in the recording itself. And if that's the case, by dulling it with filters you're doing a disservice to properly recorded and mastered music.

Ok, I never tried this combo. I had black/black initially and was forced by the thunderous bass down to red base immediately and only swapped nozzles afterwards. Per your suggestion I am now using black base / blue nozzle with the large foam tips. Either the bass has tightened with the little burn in I did or I got used to it, but the black base no longer seems "exaggerated" to me, the bass is powerful but done correctly & doesn't bleed into the mids. Treble is definitely hot on the blue nozzle but it's also smooth & has the most.. air. I'm keeping these filters on for now, I like what I'm hearing.

PS. The included small foam tips are too small and the large ones are a bit too large (they tend to slide out as they expand, never losing seal but pushing the IEM awkwardly out). Can someone please recommend me some good foam tips that come in a size preferably between the small and large ones included with the R2?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #984 of 1,305
How do these R2 compare to the FH7 in sound quality? Has anyone tried both?
Yes, I've owned both. Sold the FH7, not because I didn't like them but because the 64Audio U12t replaced them. I've kept the Aten for that extra warm bass kick it gives me, yet still very refined with more than enough detail. It's warmer than the FH7, which is a brighter IEM. Bass hits harder on the Aten too. Mids and highs are probably a touch more detailed and refined on the FH7 due to the BA drivers. Take your pick based on how you like your sound.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #985 of 1,305
Does anyone know the nozzle diameter for tips?

Also, any favorite tips?

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #986 of 1,305
Does anyone know the nozzle diameter for tips?

Also, any favorite tips?
4mm
If you go through the last third of the RAH threads, lots of agreement that Tennmak Whirlwinds are a favorite

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #987 of 1,305
4mm
If you go through the last third of the RAH threads, lots of agreement that Tennmak Whirlwinds are a favorite

Awesome! Thank you!!

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #988 of 1,305
4mm
Awesome! Thank you!!

Those Whirlwinds sure look nice.. but if you are like me with an odd ear, for which M doesn't seal and L pops out, Spiral Dots has intermediary sizes SM & ML. ML does the trick for me.

PS. Is it me or @ about 70 hours burn in the highs get sizzly? Does it calm down?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #990 of 1,305

Well I run the Blue on my R1's and have found the green nozzle blue tips to be the best for my taste on my Aten's, been having a small Bob "T-ea" party of late as well:grin:

A Bob “T-ea” Party.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back