IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #706 of 1,305
Order placed for Rah

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #707 of 1,305
Glad to know my hearing isn’t totally off! :p A deeper soundstage with more detail and less jarring upper mids/highs are the main advantages my current IEMs of choice (FiiO FH7) have over the R1Z (and possible R2, but I haven’t heard the R2 yet). The IMR’s win out for pure bass heft, of course, but then few if any IEMs I know of - even TOTL - can match the IMRs for bass heft. If the upcoming Rah can add some depth to the stage and detail/finesse to the mids/highs, Bob might be on to a killer.
To be honest, the Zeniths were really not that great with sound stage. The Atens are a whole different deal though. Much wider, with even some depth as far as i can tell. At least i can locate instruments very well with them, much better than with the Zeniths. Also the bass is another step up, thanks to the slightly bigger dd.
To be honest, I've had my R1Z two weeks now and it's.all I can do to try to sell them. I am genuinely enthusiastic about the RAH (and yet a touch hesitant becouse of the Z) but aside from the bass, which is stellar, lush, detailed etc, and the form factor, there's virtually nothing Iike about the Zenith from mids to highs they're harsh and shallow. I've let them burn in approx 100 hrs now and tried listening to them the whole Day yesterday - I couldn't. I eventually went back to the Shockwave III and enjoyed them far more. My interest in the RAH comes from all the feedback on the Aten and the inclusion of Planar. That piezo (based on my R1 Z) really causes me to pause. And yet so many of you are praising the R2 with the same piezo. But again it was all the praise for the Zenith that caused me to buy the Zenith and to me that purchase was just cash burn
Why did you not just send them back to Bob? He will give you the full refund (aside from shipping of course) without hesitating, if it is shortly after purchase. Not sure how long he accepts refunds, but i remember something like 14 days after receiving the item. Just shoot an email to him and ask about it.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #710 of 1,305
The killer for me with the Cupid is the treble. It isn't overly bright, but the speed of the drivers is something else. Superb handling of transients and no congestion no matter how busy a track gets.

Not heard the Aten, but if the Rah can take the positive comments from the R1Z and R2 and add some additional detail and resolution with the planar tech then it should be something pretty impressive at that sort of price bracket. Looking forward to it!

It should be noted that Bob is an eternal optimist when it comes to shipping predictions, however, so I'd realistically expect to see these either just before or just after Christmas rather than end of November, just to be on the safe side! :wink:

I really hope i get my RAH before Christmas.
Will spend a lot of time comparing them to R1 Zeniths.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #711 of 1,305
I am being asked to pay for the RAH instead of the usual pre order. is this normal for this model?. I didn't have to pay for the previous IEMs from Bob until a few weeks before the shipping date. I dont mind if I do. Just checking is all.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #712 of 1,305
Wasn't there supposed to be further preorder count to decrease the price even more? Although the price with the loyalty discount is already truly amazing.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #713 of 1,305
Yes, and if we hit t hat number, the price will decrease

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #714 of 1,305
Wasn't there supposed to be further preorder count to decrease the price even more? Although the price with the loyalty discount is already truly amazing.
Got me cofused on that one too as it did not have time limit.
But as you said, if it got any cheaper it would be a joke.
I would not hesitate paying full price to be honest. Bob is not letting us down im sure.

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #716 of 1,305
I have the zenith and love them. Is it worth getting these or do they sound very similar?

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #718 of 1,305
Just to give some clarification, thats what i got from a conversation with Bob:

The Rah will be sold at the current price of 400 Pounds. It will not be a normal production run, but limited to those who have reserved one.
So that means no further drop in the price, because there will not be produced more than the ~300 that got reserved.
Now i am not sure, if the preorder system will check the Email address and deny the ones not in the reservation list, but thats how i think it should work.
Also thats the reason why there is a direct payment, instead of the old system, which required you to preorder by using a credit card, and issued the payment shortly before shipping.

Edit: Thanks to an email from Bob now it is clear, that anyone who orders during the 10 days preorder period will receive the IMR Rah. Also that means, should 400 or 500 people order, the price will further decrease.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #719 of 1,305
Just to give some clarification, thats what i got from a conversation with Bob:

The Rah will be sold at the current price of 400 Pounds. It will not be a normal production run, but limited to those who have reserved one.
So that means no further drop in the price, because there will not be produced more than the ~300 that got reserved.
Now i am not sure, if the preorder system will check the Email address and deny the ones not in the reservation list, but thats how i think it should work.
Also thats the reason why there is a direct payment, instead of the old system, which required you to preorder by using a credit card, and issued the payment shortly before shipping.

Hmm that is interesting. If that is true i wonder why? was this just technical experiment that was not intented for sustainable profit. Maybe its just to get a feel of consumer interest for something that he plans for future. A quadruple electrostatic planar beryllium hybrid.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #720 of 1,305
Just received an email from Bob. If 80% of people who committed will not pay within 10 days, he will cancel the production and send refunds. Guys pleeeeeaaaase pay your preorders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back