IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #618 of 1,305
Hi, I am very interested, how they perform compared to R1 Zenith?
And... do you consider the R2 a good pair of IEM to travel in trains or any noisy environment?
As mentioned previously, lots of impressions already posted...

My quick summary, and relevant only to my experience, which has only been a couple of days...

R2 expands upon the R1 Zenith sound signature by bringing forward the mids and treble - doesn't sacrifice the bass (this an IMR iem, after all). I like my Zenith, and while for me I have only been using my R2 for a couple of days, I would say the R2 is a significant step up.

The R2 has a much more spacious sound compared to the R1 Zenith, even with the Zenith's port open (to me, at least, that Zenith port makes almost no difference). So the R2 is to the R1 Zenith what an open back headphone is to a closed back.

Usage in noisy environments? Uhhh. No. I used the R2 today as I rode on the bus on the way to work and there was basically no passive noise isolation. I won't be using them in noisy environments again.

While they seem to quite easily let the outside world in, the sound leakage out seems pretty small. Wouldn't wear them in a quiet library reading room - or any catacombs - but in an office / cubicle environment I think you would be good.

Just my 0.02. Read through other posts for impressions from those with much more extensive use of the R2.

Edit: after spending a day with just the R2, these may be my favorite iem, surpassing the S8F just for sheer “fun” factor. I don’t know how to describe it, but the R2 are much more “present”, impactful, wider sounding than the S8F... Better spend the day tomorrow listening the S8F...

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #619 of 1,305
As mentioned previously, lots of impressions already posted...

My quick summary, and relevant only to my experience, which has only been a couple of days...

Thanks a lot jsmiller, I have just finished reading all 42 pages so I found some usefull information but, of course, we are all new to this IEM and with no experience.
I finally decided to choose music instead a total sound isolation, so I will post my impressions in next weeks :wink:
I have got just a final audio e3000 paired with a dodocool and I am looking for something better. Maybe a Plenue D2?
I listening to music too with an Estroarmonico Headphone Tube amp and HD800, so when the R2 arrive I will some comparison :)

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #620 of 1,305
The R2 has a much more spacious sound compared to the R1 Zenith, even with the Zenith's port open (to me, at least, that Zenith port makes almost no difference). So the R2 is to the R1 Zenith what an open back headphone is to a closed back.

Usage in noisy environments? Uhhh. No. I used the R2 today as I rode on the bus on the way to work and there was basically no passive noise isolation. I won't be using them in noisy environments again.

While they seem to quite easily let the outside world in, the sound leakage out seems pretty small. Wouldn't wear them in a quiet library reading room - or any catacombs - but in an office / cubicle environment I think you would be good.

Just my 0.02. Read through other posts for impressions from those with much more extensive use of the R2.

One concern I have with the Rahs is that they don't look to be open like the R2's and whether the R2 magic is down to the openness. Can the same driver work as well in a closed back?

There is some venting you can see on the right phone in the 1st pic but nothing like the R2.

I don't own the Zeniths but could hear no difference between the ports being open or closed on the R1 either.

Weird thing is I have the opposite with sound leakage in and out. I don't hear anything travelling with them but had a colleague today ask me to take them off as sound leakage was annoying him. I work in quite a noisy office too.

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #621 of 1,305
It was my first day with the Fearless Roland. First impressions are excellent.

You know what's awesome? The R2s absolutely hang with them, but in a totally different way, two different colors on the same palette. Remarkable.

The Rolands? How are they? I’d love to read your impressions of it compared to Zenith, as the Rolands were on my short list, (The Audeze lcd i3 knocked them off). But, first things. How do the Atens compare to the Zenith, particularly in the details.

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #622 of 1,305
I’ve just picked up a pair of lightly used JVC FD01 and am blown away by their sound. Very articulate, coherent and spacious, with a very deep but not overpowering bass. These are TOTL as single dynamic drivers go. I’ve been comparing them to my Zenith and FLC8n.

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #623 of 1,305
The Rolands? How are they? I’d love to read your impressions of it compared to Zenith, as the Rolands were on my short list, (The Audeze lcd i3 knocked them off). But, first things. How do the Atens compare to the Zenith, particularly in the details.
The Atens are a small step up in therms of Details. Makro details can be perceived much better, but due to the warm and 'fun' charakter they lack micro details a little, just like the Zenith. Otherwise, besides Isolation, they are superior in every aspect. Especially the sound stage improved a lot in width and depth, thanks to the Atens being an open back design.

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #624 of 1,305
I'm sorry, I've not heard the Zeniths. I have the R2, and they really are just so dissimilar. I love them both, but for entirely different reasons.

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #625 of 1,305
I'm sorry, I've not heard the Zeniths. I have the R2, and they really are just so dissimilar. I love them both, but for entirely different reasons.
Desert island 1 pair you can take the Roland's or the R2's?

Should get the R2's or wait for the RAH's ?

What amount of loyalty discount would I get if get R2's now then the RAH"s ?

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #626 of 1,305
Desert island 1 pair you can take the Roland's or the R2's?

Should get the R2's or wait for the RAH's ?

What amount of loyalty discount would I get if get R2's now then the RAH"s ?
Well right now I take the R2 because I want to hear what's around me LOL. Seriously, though, it's an impossible comparison. They are VERY different IEMs, and I enjoy them both for what they do well.

I have no way of answering your second question other than to say the R2s have been one of the better audio bargains I've ever taken advantage of.

I don't know if the discount is consistent or graded. It's quite substantial, though.

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #627 of 1,305
Well right now I take the R2 because I want to hear what's around me LOL. Seriously, though, it's an impossible comparison. They are VERY different IEMs, and I enjoy them both for what they do well.

I have no way of answering your second question other than to say the R2s have been one of the better audio bargains I've ever taken advantage of.

I don't know if the discount is consistent or graded. It's quite substantial, though.
So the bass is more visceral on the R2's vs your S8P's and the Roland's ?

I guess I buy R2's now and I have signed up for the RAH's . I own the S8F's and Sony 800ST's;s and love the wide sound stage and deep sub bass of the large DD.

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #628 of 1,305
So the bass is more visceral on the R2's vs your S8P's and the Roland's ?

I guess I buy R2's now and I have signed up for the RAH's . I own the S8F's and Sony 800ST's;s and love the wide sound stage and deep sub bass of the large DD.
Oh yeah, the R2 bass is incredible. I wouldn't even put the hit of the Rolands or anything else I've heard in the same league, really. Roland's all about precision and reality, where R2 is just supernatural.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #629 of 1,305
One concern I have with the Rahs is that they don't look to be open like the R2's and whether the R2 magic is down to the openness. Can the same driver work as well in a closed back?

There is some venting you can see on the right phone in the 1st pic but nothing like the R2.

I don't own the Zeniths but could hear no difference between the ports being open or closed on the R1 either.

Weird thing is I have the opposite with sound leakage in and out. I don't hear anything travelling with them but had a colleague today ask me to take them off as sound leakage was annoying him. I work in quite a noisy office too.
Our different experiences with sound leakage might be related to listening volumes... How loud do you listen? If it is loud then could be you are drowning out the sound leaking in and simultaneously leaking out more through the open backs. I tend to listen to music at the lowest possible level hence ambient sounds can be distracting, and leakage minimal... unless I am really in the mood!

Anyway, just a theory to explain different experiences!

Edit: My wife mentioned that she can hear sound - more of a tinny buzzing, so maybe not as immune to leaking even at my volumes as I thought...

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #630 of 1,305
You could be right there. I do listen at loud volumes I think. Around 66 on the lg v30 (max is 75) & 23 on the Zishan (max is 31).

I'm also using dekoni foamies which might make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back