IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #601 of 1,305
Man these R2's have blown me away. My P1's from Drop still haven't arrived so I've cancelled them and signed up for the Rah instead. I'm very excited for them. I've had my eye on the fearless rolands but can't justify the spend. As Warriorpoet said with the discount its a no brainer - altho my gf probably won't agree ha ha.

After 2 days of burn in I thought I'd test these out on the tube going to work. At one point I realised I'd been singing and dancing along to the music without knowing. Got some strange looks. Only 1 other headphone has made me do that on the tube - Heir Audio 5ai's.

I didn't have any issues with background or tube sounds leaking in. Even on the central line near Bank where the train squeals round the bends.

Also these scale up very nicely with a good source. They sound great on my lg v30. Even better with the cable trick but the best match I've found so far is with my zishan ak4497. Sounds incredible.

I feel so lucky that I popped onto head fi after a long break when the R1 thread was at the top and impulse bought them.

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #602 of 1,305
Thanks for the post. Another really encouraging report. R2. + Planar can't wait

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #603 of 1,305
Sorry, I am sure I have missed something in the thread!

I am just now getting to the R2s. I appreciate all of the filter combinations that folks have suggested. However I was looking for some basic data that I can’t seem to find. On the IMR Aten page there appears to be a relative comparison of the various bass filters, but nothing on the treble filters. Even the bass filters don’t seem to match what’s in the box (is the pink looking bass the one on the website that is listed as purple?)...

If there is a post that handles all of this already, would appreciate a pointer to it.

Many thanks.
That's the graph for the treble (upper stage) filters. Although you definitely have to experiment a bit, to find the one that suits your taste and lower filter best.
UPPER_STAGE_FILTER_388cef0f-2649-499a-ae7e-73614bd47324.jpg

And yes, purple = pink in this case. Also the golden lower filter is a bit special compared to the others. Warriorpoet described it very well in earlier posts.
IMR-Zenith-LSF-Graphic_large.png

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #604 of 1,305
That's the graph for the treble (upper stage) filters. Although you definitely have to experiment a bit, to find the one that suits your taste and lower filter best.

And yes, purple = pink in this case. Also the golden lower filter is a bit special compared to the others. Warriorpoet described it very well in earlier posts.
Thanks - now I understand. Sorry for asking the obvious!

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #606 of 1,305
Also wondering you guys think it could be that much better? I can’t take these r2s off. I really love them. I have not experimented with filters just going stock black black but I do think I need just a tiny bit less bass

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #607 of 1,305
Hi sorry I’m sure this has been covered. With the rah, is the money taken up front or is this like the r2, bob says November, probably March?
No, at this stage you just register to express your interest. No money is taken now. The number of "Pre" Pre-orders determines the final price. Once the target is hit, the order gets place and we pay. It's explained pretty well on the IMR site when you click the "Commit" button - No credit card required, so go ahead and check it out

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #608 of 1,305
Also wondering you guys think it could be that much better? I can’t take these r2s off. I really love them. I have not experimented with filters just going stock black black but I do think I need just a tiny bit less bass
Red/ red is great for that

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #609 of 1,305
I cant imagine it not being better. The Tin P1s and oBravo Cupids are demonstrating just whats possible in terms of Clarity, Resolution and Detail Retrieval with Planar in an IEM. Bob is going to take the Aten, and throw in a Planar..... Holy Cow .....

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #610 of 1,305
Hi sorry I’m sure this has been covered. With the rah, is the money taken up front or is this like the r2, bob says November, probably March?

Speculating on a schedule is pretty pointless. Bob has more information on how far along the design path he is, Bob has more information on his supply chain, etc, than any of us.

What is universally true is that schedules usually move to the right. Whether that is a week, a month, a quarter, a year, we don’t know. Even Bob doesn’t really know, though his estimate will be much more accurate than any of ours - and his will still be too optimistic (because that is the nature of schedules).

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #611 of 1,305

Tried pink/pink but that pink treble filter solitary peak at 7Khz is just adding too much zing... now the pink bass, red treble (which goes to that same level earlier and then rolls off at 7Khz)... hmmmmmm... delicious...! May try the gold bass next...

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #612 of 1,305
Tried pink/pink but that pink treble filter solitary peak at 7Khz is just adding too much zing... now the pink bass, red treble (which goes to that same level earlier and then rolls off at 7Khz)... hmmmmmm... delicious...! May try the gold bass next...
FWIW, that peak will move with burn-in. There was a period of time that peak was nearly un-listenable, but patience pays off.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #613 of 1,305
FWIW, that peak will move with burn-in. There was a period of time that peak was nearly un-listenable, but patience pays off.
I will check back again! I have run these in at least 100 hours (no cheating on my part, either). I will play them normally for a week and try again.

By the way, I did find the pink/pink glorious with jazz...

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #614 of 1,305
I will check back again! I have run these in at least 100 hours (no cheating on my part, either). I will pay them normally for a week and try again.

By the way, I did find the pink/pink glorious with jazz...
We all have different ears and are using different tips, sources, etc, too. It could be the Dekoni foams I'm using on my R2s take care of that peak :)

Aug 23, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #615 of 1,305
We all have different ears and are using different tips, sources, etc, too. It could be the Dekoni foams I'm using on my R2s take care of that peak :)
Yup! To get a good seal (I have a bizarre right ear canal) I resorted to my Symbio peels. Could be they come across differently than foams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back