IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #481 of 1,305
Not sure if anyone is using the Fiio M11 with the R2.

Switching from my AK240 to the M11, I found the midbass to be much punchier with the M11. R2 is much livelier with the M11.

Running off 2.5mm balance on both devices.

Aug 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #482 of 1,305
...although, I have found one classical recording that currently works well - and being binaural, has an absolutely cavernous and very airy sound to it:

I don't have the best vision, could you provide details of the Track/Album/Artist, so far all I can make out is Hadyn
Also I can only imagine what these sound like with the ALO Audio CDM

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #483 of 1,305
Update: after 20 more hours of burn-in the treble has settled in to the point that red filters and green tips are now wonderful companions for classical (Dvorak) on a relatively neutral source like the LG G8 ThinQ in aux mode. Bass is a touch too impactful yet, but the top end has matured and is no longer strangely timbred.

As an aside, I can't imagine how many hours Bob must have put into selecting drivers if it takes this much time for them to settle in consumer-side. It must have been an IMMENSE investment!

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #484 of 1,305
I don't have the best vision, could you provide details of the Track/Album/Artist, so far all I can make out is Hadyn
Also I can only imagine what these sound like with the ALO Audio CDM

Its a Cobra release. However, all Cobra binaural releases are distributed through Native DSD. Make sure you select Binaural in the Channel selection if you want the Binaural recording.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #485 of 1,305
Update: after 20 more hours of burn-in the treble has settled in to the point that red filters and green tips are now wonderful companions for classical (Dvorak) on a relatively neutral source like the LG G8 ThinQ in aux mode. Bass is a touch too impactful yet, but the top end has matured and is no longer strangely timbred.

As an aside, I can't imagine how many hours Bob must have put into selecting drivers if it takes this much time for them to settle in consumer-side. It must have been an IMMENSE investment!

I've settled in for a LLOOONNNGGGG pink sound burn in via sox on my laptop. I've had the odd listen and I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet as the sound seems to be headed in the right direction - but boy is it slow progress!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #486 of 1,305
Its a Cobra release. However, all Cobra binaural releases are distributed through Native DSD. Make sure you select Binaural in the Channel selection if you want the Binaural recording.
Thank you

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #487 of 1,305
Not sure if anyone is using the Fiio M11 with the R2.

Switching from my AK240 to the M11, I found the midbass to be much punchier with the M11. R2 is much livelier with the M11.

Running off 2.5mm balance on both devices.
Have been considering the M11 but was waiting to hear about

Even after nearly 2 weeks my sound continues to change, sometimes they sound smooth and others a little peaky. Might have to put some volume into them for a 24 hour period to get them really flexing

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #488 of 1,305
Aug 11, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #489 of 1,305
I've settled in for a LLOOONNNGGGG pink sound burn in via sox on my laptop. I've had the odd listen and I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet as the sound seems to be headed in the right direction - but boy is it slow progress!
I hit a spot where the treble changed resonant peak for a bit, then came back into line with more weight. It seems from my most recent long burn and a quick listen that pink/ blue will be where it's at for orchestral. Still loving the red/ green on pop tracks.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #490 of 1,305
Have been considering the M11 but was waiting to hear about

Even after nearly 2 weeks my sound continues to change, sometimes they sound smooth and others a little peaky. Might have to put some volume into them for a 24 hour period to get them really flexing
I've been burning at 80% volume on my Xonar- just above tolerable listening level- and the changes have been definitely noticeable. It seems, at least for now, the bulk of the changes have occurred.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #491 of 1,305
I've been burning at 80% volume on my Xonar- just above tolerable listening level- and the changes have been definitely noticeable. It seems, at least for now, the bulk of the changes have occurred.

These certainly are a chameleon - and quite unlike the R1Z. The R1Z settled quickly, and didn't seem to change their character much as the journey progressed. These? Different every time I listen right now - and I have no idea exactly where they will end up. However, I'm prepared to stick things out for another week to 10 days before I make a finial decision. In the meantime, I'll listen with the R1Zs and let the audio gods decide where the R2s end up!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #492 of 1,305
Maybe its just me feeling a little tired and irritable tonight but they just sounded a bit off. Had it a few times burning these in, particularly between 40 and 100 hours as i am sure you had too.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #493 of 1,305
@rocko77
Currently listening to M11+R2 using fiio player on android mode. This is a great pairing. M11 has plenty of power for the R2 on low gain.

Madeleine Peyroux sounds so emotional with this pairing.

I think i'm going to put up my AK240 for sale. Once my Hiby R6 comes back from getting fixed, it'll be a goner too.
If you're on the fence about the M11, get it now :)

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #494 of 1,305
@rocko77
Currently listening to M11+R2 using fiio player on android mode. This is a great pairing. M11 has plenty of power for the R2 on low gain.

Madeleine Peyroux sounds so emotional with this pairing.

I think i'm going to put up my AK240 for sale. Once my Hiby R6 comes back from getting fixed, it'll be a goner too.
If you're on the fence about the M11, get it now :)
Cheers mate. How's the tidal side of things working with the M11. Its a definite bargain, particularly if that works out OK

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #495 of 1,305
These certainly are a chameleon - and quite unlike the R1Z. The R1Z settled quickly, and didn't seem to change their character much as the journey progressed. These? Different every time I listen right now - and I have no idea exactly where they will end up. However, I'm prepared to stick things out for another week to 10 days before I make a finial decision. In the meantime, I'll listen with the R1Zs and let the audio gods decide where the R2s end up!
They are all over the place right now! Early on the midbass loosened up, which was not my favorite thing, but sounded OK, then the treble did all sorts of stuff- it went from fairly clean but unremarkable to absolutely knife-edged piercing to full and robust. Now the bass is moving again (or maybe it was before, but the treble changes were predominant).

I'm kinda bummed about the bass changing again, TBH. I liked it where it was before this last extended burn. Oh well, we'll see where it lands. I have ~30 more hours to go before 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back