IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #451 of 1,305
Hi, received my Atens only two days ago. They're been stuck for 9 days in a so called International Excange Center somewhere. Opened the box.... Wow, very good!. Now i will begin listening music, black on black filter first... First impressions, after burn-in end, but for the moment very deep basses, clear male vocals but showing some sibilances.....
WP_20190810_16_57_25_Pro.jpg

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #452 of 1,305
I think the Red base Filter might be worth trying, since the Black one can be quite overpowering compared to the mids. As filter tip i would suggest Pink, Gold or Green.
If you have access to filters from the R1, some of the would also be great options, although i have only tried pink and black yet.
Red is a great bassy, yet balanced filter. I love the treble contour of the Gold/ Green/ Red tips!

Be aware, these really DO change over time. I'm still burning mine in, and the purple filters are around where the reds were new in terms of bass impact. Great IEMs. Bob did a killer job tuning them.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #453 of 1,305
That's interesting what you're writing about R2 vs R1Z, that R2 are being smoother than R1Z. To me it's the opposite - at least right out of the box.
For now I can't find any combination of filters, which would prevent some harshness and sibilants here and there:
e.g. from 1:44 - the same track gives me no sibilants on the R1Z

I like very much what I hear from the combination of red/gold, but those sibilants... Hope it will go away with burn in, because otherwise probably will need to give them back :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #454 of 1,305
I think the Red base Filter might be worth trying, since the Black one can be quite overpowering compared to the mids. As filter tip i would suggest Pink, Gold or Green.
If you have access to filters from the R1, some of the would also be great options, although i have only tried pink and black yet.

Thank you, but I don't have access to any other tips (I jumped straight in at R2's)

But I will experiment with Red base and other tips combos
Must admit really liking the Black on Black, I have just played Disclosure - Hourglass which has a very deep powerful bass line and this played how I was looking for to be honest.

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #455 of 1,305
Red is a great bassy, yet balanced filter. I love the treble contour of the Gold/ Green/ Red tips!

Be aware, these really DO change over time. I'm still burning mine in, and the purple filters are around where the reds were new in terms of bass impact. Great IEMs. Bob did a killer job tuning them.

I got the bass, now trying my library for the musicality of these IEM's with my usual favourites ie Jazz at the Pawn Shop along with some Elgar and Bach for Cello to be followed by Chopin for piano and Rebecca Pidgeon for vocals etc

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #456 of 1,305
That's interesting what you're writing about R2 vs R1Z, that R2 are being smoother than R1Z. To me it's the opposite - at least right out of the box.
For now I can't find any combination of filters, which would prevent some harshness and sibilants here and there:

I like very much what I hear from the combination of red/gold, but those sibilants... Hope it will go away with burn in, because otherwise probably will need to give them back :frowning2:

I should be well over 100 hours of listening time now, and they definitely got a lot smoother and less harsh, compared to the beginning.
Just give it some burn-in over night and a few days of listening, and you should see improvement.

Thank you, but I don't have access to any other tips (I jumped straight in at R2's)

But I will experiment with Red base and other tips combos
Must admit really liking the Black on Black, I have just played Disclosure - Hourglass which has a very deep powerful bass line and this played how I was looking for to be honest.
Wow, that track sounds really good with the R2's. The texture of the bass line is so damn juicy. Thanks for sharing!

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #457 of 1,305
I tried all possible combinations and bottom red top green seems to be the best
I test all my IEMs with the greatests album of Cesaria Evora. You should listen to this album with R2. You will be amazed!

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #458 of 1,305
I just tried red base with green filter and thought, "Where's my bass" black stock base and filter straight back on

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #459 of 1,305
I just tried red base with green filter and thought, "Where's my bass" black stock base and filter straight back on
You must really love bass!

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #462 of 1,305

received_619259358567439.jpeg

Notice that the FR profiles are different between the blue/ black and the gold/ green/ red. The blues started off way too hot to my ear, but ended up being the right combo with purple filters after ~30 hours of burn-in, when the greens got too hot. I was able to switch back today after an additional 20 hours of burn. Something about that big ceramic piezo needs some time to settle :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #463 of 1,305
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #464 of 1,305
Post 50 hour burn-in update.

Memory being what it is, I took notes on details that I could go back and objectively track, then compared them to current experience. When not listening, pink noise is running through my R2s at 80% volume using my Asus Xonar STX in High Performance mode.

1. The overall experience remains coherent, and more "fun" than quick, detailed and precise, as might be expected from a massive DD. The R2s prefer a neutral source with some power (LG G8 in aux mode) to a warmer source (Chord Mojo).

2. There was a notable shift in the piezo about halfway through burn-in, where the green tips, my go-to for pop-ish modern recordings, got WAY too hot in the upper treble regions (sibilants, cymbal crashes, etc.). After ~10 more hours of burn-in the issue resolved itself, and I was able to go back to the green tips again, but the treble had changed from my previous notes- it was no longer crystal clear and cutting, but had gained more weight and body. These are still not reference-neutral in the treble, but are solid and tangible in a way that balances and connects well with the rest of the signature.

3. I am NOT a basshead by any means. I prefer DF-neutral with slightly elevated clean and impactful bass, texture and details in the mids and smooth but precise treble that extends through the audible harmonic ranges and beyond. New, the R2s tilted hot in the subbass, and the slam and body continued into the midbass with quite a bit of weight and warmth- even to the point of overwhelming and overtaking the midrange (balance, not bleed) and feeling distorted (even though it wasn't, the bass felt that way), even slightly over-warm and bloated. The purple filters helped, but lost the impact of the red and black filters. After ~20 hours of burn-in I switched over to the purple flters full time for most things, because they were just so much cleaner than the red filters, although lacking visceral impact.

I switched back to the red filters today and noticed more visceral slam, just as they had been earlier, but midbass clarity and balance are markedly better, with bass guitars, bass violins and cellos the biggest benefactors. The purple is now bass how I generally prefer it- slightly elevated, clean and visceral- and red is clean bass but bigger and deeper, a "fun" take on my regular preference.

Current preference:

Red filter green tip for pop and modern recordings
purple filter blue tip for live recordings, traditional Americana
purple filter gold tip for classical orchestral, jazz

3 things real quick.

1. These are, as Bob describes them, IEMs for enjoying music, not for analyzing music. I'm a degreed musician with over 30 years of live performance and leadership experience. It's incredibly difficult for me to enjoy music without analyzing it. With the R2, I am enjoying music for its sake in a way I haven't experienced for years, maybe a decade.

2. If this were a typical IEM, I'd likely be satisfied with the purple filter blue tip combo for everything, but thanks to Bob's initiative, we're able to tune these in small ways until they are closer to ideal for our preferences. The filter and tip combo can be challenging at first, but it's more robust, and I think longer lasting than some of the micro switch solutions that are sweeping the industry.

3. I'm not a big burn-in believer. Out of all the IEMs, headphones, amps and speakers I've had through here, these are by far the best example of FR, even SQ changing with burn-in. The overall experience is just cleaner and more cohesive after 50 hours, as suggested by Bob, and I can't wait to see what 100 hours brings. At certain points in the process SQ changed for the worse. When you reach those points, adjust for the short term and keep going; it will get better. It will be worth it.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #465 of 1,305
Just got this from Bob in an email:
"Hi Jeff
Seen your post on the defective balanced cable.
Will get a new one on the mail Monday. My apologies.
Regards
Bob"
Hope this shuts the f..k up of that Hawaiian Bad Guy Big Jerk!
No he wont, just like Zeos, they make a living by having a big mouth, “empty vessels make the most noise”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back