IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 9, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #436 of 1,305
sound leakage isn't that bad on the R2
If it’s anything like the Zenith (open) it’ll probably be unsuitable for tube/plane/library use. I remember first time I burned in the Zenith, moderate volume, and left them in my closed bedside drawer. Woke my wife up and I got an angry “did you leave your headphones on” text from the study... :p

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #438 of 1,305
I have read the whole topic and it follows that for all my questions, the answer is "yes". Relative level of isolation. I want to be sure. Because there are many references to models from other brands. Written in very general terms, and I would like to get the answer right once and for all. I'm also interested in how R2 falls with female vocals?

I have R1 and have been burning in and listening to R2 since I received it on Monday. Compared to R1 (which I really like), R2 is apparently smoother and tonally more natural. Female vocals (and male vocals too) sound very nice on these. The bass is monstrous, sound stage is huge like everyone here said. The details retrieval is pretty good, too. I don’t think you can do better considering how much they costs and saying they punch to a much higher price is no joke! Hack they competes well with my EE LX and I would say it’s a better iem than my campfire Vega in almost every aspects.
47EF2B91-FB04-42F2-A330-2D3D95AC69E0.jpeg

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #440 of 1,305
That’s good news, and also very impressive given it’s an ‘open’ IEM! Maybe it’s not really open.
It definitely appears to be open. The driver is firing toward the nozzle, however, not the other way. I can hear what's going on with the driver from "outside" in a quiet room, but I have to get close. Remember, were dealing with a 15mm dynamic driver, and an internal ceramic piezo here, not a 40+ mm headphone driver.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #441 of 1,305
It definitely appears to be open. The driver is firing toward the nozzle, however, not the other way. I can hear what's going on with the driver from "outside" in a quiet room, but I have to get close. Remember, were dealing with a 15mm dynamic driver, and an internal ceramic piezo here, not a 40+ mm headphone driver.
True, but think of how much EarPods leak. Nothing more frustrating than an EarPod listener on a train. If the Atens are a good deal less than those, then ok!

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #442 of 1,305
True, but think of how much EarPods leak. Nothing more frustrating than an EarPod listener on a train. If the Atens are a good deal less than those, then ok!
They DO seal, unlike Airpods. Yuck!

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #443 of 1,305
That’s good news, and also very impressive given it’s an ‘open’ IEM! Maybe it’s not really open.
They are open, just leakage ain’t the same as massive open backs. If you put your fingers on top of the grills you can tell
Right away that bass and mids get choked

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #444 of 1,305
Got them today. Out of the box, immediate issue: the balanced cable does not work (right side). At first I got scared, thought it was the earphone, but a quick try with the 3.5mm cable calmed me down, all good (except for the balanced cable). Easy fix, changed to another balanced cable. As both channels now worked, I started properly listening. With stock tips and filters (black on black), it really sucked: low frequencies were meh, mids recessed , highs harsh and sibilant. I knew this couldn't be right, and, sure enough, what I did next brought the smile back on my face. I simply unscrewed the orange filters with my tips from the R1Z and voila! the world changed. Outrageous bass, extended mids, gone is the harshness and sibilance, substituted by nice air and huge soundstage. Tossed the defective cable, happy again :ksc75smile:

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #445 of 1,305
Got them today. Out of the box, immediate issue: the balanced cable does not work (right side). At first I got scared, thought it was the earphone, but a quick try with the 3.5mm cable calmed me down, all good (except for the balanced cable). Easy fix, changed to another balanced cable. As both channels now worked, I started properly listening. With stock tips and filters (black on black), it really sucked: low frequencies were meh, mids recessed , highs harsh and sibilant. I knew this couldn't be right, and, sure enough, what I did next brought the smile back on my face. I simply unscrewed the orange filters with my tips from the R1Z and voila! the world changed. Outrageous bass, extended mids, gone is the harshness and sibilance, substituted by nice air and huge soundstage. Tossed the defective cable, happy again :ksc75smile:
I did not find the Black on Black to be that bad. But yea, they can sound really nice with filters from the previous IMR IEM's. Especially the pink one is just perfect for my taste.
Other Filter combination from the R2 you might want to try are the Red and Pink base filters, together with Pink, Green and Gold Tips. Especially Red-Green and Pink-Gold seem to work really well together.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #446 of 1,305
They are insane for bass. Not sure if you like old reggae but the heavy bass guitar on some of that sounds incredible. My favourite bass texture track is stir it up by the wailers, you can even hear him playing the tight strings at the same time with the Aten. Fantastic.

The R2 is comprehensively performing at a higher level than any previous IMR IEMs to my ears. You still have the bass you probably love but it's far more textured and controlled now. They are also far smoother while being more detailed and open sounding. I don't know how they compete against the FiiO but against the r1s I would say its a significant upgrade.
All of these features will do me, delivery due before 13:00 today :sunglasses:

sound leakage isn't that bad on the R2

I was listening to my R2's at work and there were just two of us in an office and my co-worker could not hear anything coming from them

Just what I wanted to hear regarding leakage. I will give them a try on the tube Monday see how many annoying looks I get
:smile:

If it’s anything like the Zenith (open) it’ll probably be unsuitable for tube/plane/library use. I remember first time I burned in the Zenith, moderate volume, and left them in my closed bedside drawer. Woke my wife up and I got an angry “did you leave your headphones on” text from the study... :p
Can't hear you, la, la, la, la, not listening :dt880smile:

I will soon be able to tell for myself :L3000:

I have experienced 'Tip Rolling' it seems I will be back here for for 'Filter Rolling' tips (no pun intended)

:triportsad:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #447 of 1,305
Just got this from Bob in an email:
"Hi Jeff
Seen your post on the defective balanced cable.
Will get a new one on the mail Monday. My apologies.
Regards
Bob"
Hope this shuts the f..k up of that Hawaiian Bad Guy Big Jerk!

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #448 of 1,305
All of these features will do me, delivery due before 13:00 today :sunglasses:

Just what I wanted to hear regarding leakage. I will give them a try on the tube Monday see how many annoying looks I get
:smile:

Can't hear you, la, la, la, la, not listening :dt880smile:

I will soon be able to tell for myself :L3000:

I have experienced 'Tip Rolling' it seems I will be back here for for 'Filter Rolling' tips (no pun intended)

:triportsad:
Enjoy mate. Keen to hear how you find them

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #449 of 1,305
Enjoy mate. Keen to hear how you find them
Having my first listen
:L3000:
Liking what I hear straight out of the box with black tips and base
Will experiment for the right combination for me.

A question to you and the rest of this thread, does anyone have any suggestions for R2 base/tip combinations and if you don't mind me asking, what sound signature were you aiming for.

I like BASS but needs to be controlled and deep, while not losing out in the rest of the dynamic range.
I listen to most genres such as Jazz, Classical, Reggae, Hip-Hop, Rock and Blues but if I hadn't said it before the BASS has to be kicking (moving air bass).

In the meanwhile I will continue to enjoy the original Black on Black.

My definitive test tracks for bass are:-

Holy ColeTrio - My Baby Just Cares For Me (espicially the double bass solo at approx 1' 23")

Burning Spear - We Are Going (live)

Disclosure - Hourglass

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #450 of 1,305
Having my first listen
:L3000:
Liking what I hear straight out of the box with black tips and base
Will experiment for the right combination for me.

A question to you and the rest of this thread, does anyone have any suggestions for R2 base/tip combinations and if you don't mind me asking, what sound signature were you aiming for.

I like BASS but needs to be controlled and deep, while not losing out in the rest of the dynamic range.
I listen to most genres such as Jazz, Classical, Reggae, Hip-Hop, Rock and Blues but if I hadn't said it before the BASS has to be kicking (moving air bass).

In the meanwhile I will continue to enjoy the original Black on Black.
I think the Red base Filter might be worth trying, since the Black one can be quite overpowering compared to the mids. As filter tip i would suggest Pink, Gold or Green.
If you have access to filters from the R1, some of the would also be great options, although i have only tried pink and black yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back