IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 7, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #346 of 1,305
Funny you should say that because my R2s went through a spikey stage mid way through the burn in.
Ha! Well, here's to the spike going away...

...but I know how to filter it out now, so it'll be no big deal either way.

If IMR were a bigger company, it'd be really helpful to have them burn these in before shipping, even put it in the advertising as a feature. Now to see how much burn a planar/ DD/ piezo takes- betcha it's more :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #347 of 1,305
Now to see how much burn a planar/ DD/ piezo takes- betcha it's more :wink:
Hmmm, Do we know this is coming???? I just wrote to Bob, asking what might be next up his sleeve.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #348 of 1,305
Hmmm, Do we know this is coming???? I just wrote to Bob, asking what might be next up his sleeve.
Yup, Bob stated it a couple times before the R2 launch. There might be even a plain planar IEM before the Rah, but it is unlikely.
Anyways, if we get this Planar - DD - Piezo wonder weapon, it will be priced at 1000 pounds. So the only thing i'm worrying about is if the value will still be as great as with his previous IEM's.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #349 of 1,305
Esp when he is only making 200 of them

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #350 of 1,305
Yup, Bob stated it a couple times before the R2 launch. There might be even a plain planar IEM before the Rah, but it is unlikely.
Anyways, if we get this Planar - DD - Piezo wonder weapon, it will be priced at 1000 pounds. So the only thing i'm worrying about is if the value will still be as great as with his previous IEM's.
I mean, a planar/ DD/ piezo IEM is a pretty complicated beast. I can't imagine how $1000 isn't a relative bargain in that space- border-pushing flagships are $2k+ territory, typically.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #351 of 1,305
I mean, a planar/ DD/ piezo IEM is a pretty complicated beast. I can't imagine how $1000 isn't a relative bargain in that space- border-pushing flagships are $2k+ territory, typically.
I am in no doubt it is a bargain from a technical perspective. I mean this is something completely new, and surely will require an immense amount of testing and tuning, together with designing a new housing (most likely).
It's just, that I am not sure if it will be worth paying 3 times the price of the R2, because for me there is little to improve, that would make me enjoy this IEM even more.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #352 of 1,305
I'll be watching closely! Just to be clear, the the Rah is the planar/ DD/ piezo IEM, or is it something completely different? I'm still playing IMR catch up.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #353 of 1,305
I'll be watching closely! Just to be clear, the the Rah is the planar/ DD/ piezo IEM, or is it something completely different? I'm still playing IMR catch up.
Yup, the Rah will be the triple hybrid. The plain planar I was talking about did not receive a name yet, i think.
So as i said, we will most likely end up with R1 - Zenith - Aten - Rah as IMR lineup without the additional planar-only IEM.

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #354 of 1,305
I am in no doubt it is a bargain from a technical perspective. I mean this is something completely new, and surely will require an immense amount of testing and tuning, together with designing a new housing (most likely).
It's just, that I am not sure if it will be worth paying 3 times the price of the R2, because for me there is little to improve, that would make me enjoy this IEM even more.
I think sometimes in audio we get this "endgame" mentality that convinces us that there's some sort of hierarchy where one product will do everything better. I'm not convinced I'll enjoy anything more than the R2s (the journey so far has been part of the fun to me), but I'm certain that I'll enjoy some things differently (see list in signature). I suspect the Rah is one of those things, and, to be honest, I'm not sure it will cost as much as originally projected, either. Discovering cost efficiencies is part of the design phase.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #356 of 1,305
I think sometimes in audio we get this "endgame" mentality that convinces us that there's some sort of hierarchy where one product will do everything better. I'm not convinced I'll enjoy anything more than the R2s (the journey so far has been part of the fun, to me), but I'm certain that I'll enjoy some things differently. I suspect the Rah is one of those things, and, to be honest, I'm not sure it will be as much as originally projected, either. Discovering cost efficiencies is part of the design phase.
Well spoken! I originally had the same impression with the Zenith and before with the R1. Sure, they had their flaws. But i enjoyed the sound signature so much, that i definitely saw them as my end of the line IEM.
So sure, lets wait and see. Maybe Bob will post some updates on this project, now that the R2 launched successfully. This might be one of the most exciting products in the IEM industry, so I hope everything will go smoothly.
And that he learned from the issue with the quite heavily delayed shipping ^^

Edit:

I just saw that there is finally a full resolution picture of the frequency graph for the filter tips available:
UPPER_STAGE_FILTER_388cef0f-2649-499a-ae7e-73614bd47324.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #358 of 1,305
I think sometimes in audio we get this "endgame" mentality that convinces us that there's some sort of hierarchy where one product will do everything better. I'm not convinced I'll enjoy anything more than the R2s (the journey so far has been part of the fun, to me), but I'm certain that I'll enjoy some things differently. I suspect the Rah is one of those things, and, to be honest, I'm not sure it will be as much as originally projected, either. Discovering cost efficiencies is part of the design phase.
Well the "Best IEM" is the one you ENJOY the most as far as I'm concerned. I just unloaded a brand new set of Xelentos because because I so much more enjoyed the $150 P1 - so $$$ had nothing to do with it. I'm still looking for the "Perfect Tavel Buddy": easy to drive, sound spectacular with good excellent resolution, depth, clarity and sparkle and isolates well. That last bit is the only reason I rescinded my Aten order and went with Zenith. Oh yeah, one more thing I really want, relatively flush fit so I can sleep with them. Aten could have done that. Once I've burned the Zeniths in and had a really good listening session with them, I may still come back for an R2, by then all of your burn ins will be done and your impressions well formed. I may just skip the Aten and wait for Rah. Thanks for all your (collective) input!

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #359 of 1,305
Well the "Best IEM" is the one you ENJOY the most as far as I'm concerned. I just unloaded a brand new set of Xelentos because because I so much more enjoyed the $150 P1 - so $$$ had nothing to do with it. I'm still looking for the "Perfect Tavel Buddy": easy to drive, sound spectacular with good excellent resolution, depth, clarity and sparkle and isolates well. That last bit is the only reason I rescinded my Aten order and went with Zenith. Oh yeah, one more thing I really want, relatively flush fit so I can sleep with them. Aten could have done that. Once I've burned the Zeniths in and had a really good listening session with them, I may still come back for an R2, by then all of your burn ins will be done and your impressions well formed. I may just skip the Aten and wait for Rah. Thanks for all your (collective) input!
I haven't tried the Zeniths, but they are quite enjoyable. On the other hand, while they excel at what they do, I don't see myself ever even thinking about attempting to sleep in them. They aren't that kind of enclosure :D

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #360 of 1,305
The Zenith's are definitely a good way to get an impression of the IMR sound. And thanks to the porting very versatile and travel friendly. So if you should enjoy the sound signature of it a lot, really give the R2 a try as well.
Also i can confirm that all IMR IEM's are easy to drive; even with just your phone you should have no problem to receive a well sounding result.
Falling asleep with them is also no problem, as i could experience once or twice last week ^^

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back