IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 7, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #376 of 1,305
I've had my cooking for a week now and rested them for 12 hours today. I've got to say they just sound so much cleaner and the mid range has really come to the fore. I'm still struggling to comprehend how these sound so wide yet with no obvious holes in the staging, such as you get with the HD800s. They beat many open back headphones that I've owned.
Where are you on filters and tips now, Rocko? Purple filters/ blue tips seem the ticket here while they're continuing to burn. Enough bottom, nice clear top and no hot treble.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #377 of 1,305
More beautiful confusion for me! Both the Periodic BE and E5000 are on my new shortlist. E5000, I've been aware of for a while. Also have my eyes on this little guy: The Audiosense T800 which has lit up the Chi-Fi community..... Anyway, dont mean to pull this thread away from its focus...

E5000: Worst purchase I've has the displeasure to make recently. It's only for those who like something that lacks any sense of excitement whatsoever IMO, a bit like listening music through a pillow, worst of it is how slow they feel with anything that has some beats/rhythm, it feels like watching a snail race in slow motion, painful really. I've read all the rave reviews about these in complete disbelief since receiving them.

E4000 is nice however but if you love the Tin P1 to death they may not quite cut it either if coming from those.

I was interested in the Be too but I skipped it as I feel it may be both overrated and overpriced.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #378 of 1,305
Where are you on filters and tips now, Rocko? Purple filters/ blue tips seem the ticket here while they're continuing to burn. Enough bottom, nice clear top and no hot treble.
Still enjoying the red lower and gold upper. Bear in mind though that I've only been using them at work this week, truly critical listening can wait until the weekend, I'd say mine are fully burned in so I can spend some quality time playing with them come Friday.

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #379 of 1,305
this are fun, agressive, full of "YEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! THAT BASS LINE IS EPIC!!!!" the others are for an afternoon of listening albums and saying "Damn... life is good... everything is so amazing..."
I think you’ve just summed up the IMR ‘house sound’ and comparison with other IEMs perfectly here! Couldn’t have said it better myself. Forget finesse or smoothness, it’s balls-to-the-wall sound, take it or leave it.

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #380 of 1,305
They’re very wide sounding indeed. That’s why I was so excited when bob announced it would be open back.
Does the stage have any depth? I was initially attracted to the Zenith because I wanted a wide stage IEM, but while the Zenith is indeed very wide it’s also about as flat as a pancake. Every instrument is pushed forward so there’s very little sense of depth or height. Does the Aten improve on this?

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #381 of 1,305
More beautiful confusion for me! Both the Periodic BE and E5000 are on my new shortlist. E5000, I've been aware of for a while. Also have my eyes on this little guy: The Audiosense T800 which has lit up the Chi-Fi community..... Anyway, dont mean to pull this thread away from its focus...

Given your criteria, another IEM to look sat night be the oBravo Cupid. It's got plenty of bass, a nice planar-driven midrange and high end but doesn't sound bright, and the shells are very snug and pretty isolating as they are made out of brass.

Only downside is that it comes with a 2.5mm cable as standard - there is a 3.5mm cable and usually an adapter in the box, but neither are ideal.

Anyway, didn't want to distract too much from the R2 discussion - seeing all the positive feedback here, I've been seriously considering joining the party...

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #383 of 1,305
I can officially say it, this ones and the acoustune hs1670 are the best Iems I’ve ever listened to, i really cannot get more surprised, i never heard the andromeda’s but if i do so, they really need to pull some sort of magic trick, the aten soundstage beats the living crap out of many of my open back headphones, and the amount of possibilities is amazing, I’m not shy to eq a bit when needed, purple set (tip and bore) sounds amazing with a bit of eq in the mids and highs, It’s like having the monoliths on (fuzzor mod, leaner back pads, sheep skin pads) I’m so glad I got this guys, detail retrieval in this set is amazing as well

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #384 of 1,305
I'm tempted to try this "cupid" IEM. Seems decently priced for an Obravo, last time I tried one was at Canjam, was blown away by it, although it could have well been one of their flagship models.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #385 of 1,305
Does the stage have any depth? I was initially attracted to the Zenith because I wanted a wide stage IEM, but while the Zenith is indeed very wide it’s also about as flat as a pancake. Every instrument is pushed forward so there’s very little sense of depth or height. Does the Aten improve on this?
I can say that it does have height and way more space in between instruments, I’m actually impressed with its black noise

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #387 of 1,305
I would say there's depth to it. I need to sit down and compare against the HD800 and Ether Flow.
But overall, it's very wide.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #388 of 1,305
I would say there's depth to it. I need to sit down and compare against the HD800 and Ether Flow.
But overall, it's very wide.
There's not an IEM in existence that comes close to the stage of the HD800. It's physically impossible. But if it even approximates a sense of width, that's impressive. The better IEMs have real depth, so the sound is not all on one layer, which leads to congestion. The Zenith suffered from that, having plenty of width but not much depth, and a tendency to bring all the main instruments forward. I'd be looking for an improvement here from the Aten.

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #389 of 1,305
There's not an IEM in existence that comes close to the stage of the HD800. It's physically impossible. But if it even approximates a sense of width, that's impressive. The better IEMs have real depth, so the sound is not all on one layer, which leads to congestion. The Zenith suffered from that, having plenty of width but not much depth, and a tendency to bring all the main instruments forward. I'd be looking for an improvement here from the Aten.
what are some tracks you use to measure depth?

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #390 of 1,305
switching up cables today
R2 + Rhapsodio SG1.98MKII + symbio tips

JmmDjDAl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back