IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 6, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #301 of 1,305
I had quite the similar experience while i had the opportunity to hear it for a couple of minutes. Amazing amount of detail and a huge soundstage, but simply no punch.
Might be great or even one of the best for some genres, but not for me.

The HD820 might be a different deal. As far as i heard they managed to combine the strengths of the HD800 with the benefits of a closed back headphone, but that price tag is just way out of my league.
Agree on the outrageous price

preowned around $700 is a great price for the HD800.
Just not the right headphone for EDM or anything that has a lot of bass.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #302 of 1,305
Alright, just did my little isolation test, and as i thought the R2 are just slightly worse than the opened Zenith. While playing music Airplane noises will surely not be disturbing too much.
Taping them shut did basically nothing, so if you want to mod them to a closed back IEM there will be a little more effort necessary.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #303 of 1,305
Yikes! My Zeniths havent even shown up yet and looks like these are going on order!

Merci Beaucoup, Danke Shoen, Muchas Gracias, & Thanks Alot

May I ask one more question, if you'll indulge me? When you look in the grill can you see some clearance in there between it and the driver or is the driver not even visible?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #304 of 1,305
Yikes! My Zeniths havent even shown up yet and looks like these are going on order!

May I ask one more question, if you'll indulge me? When you look in the grill can you see some clearance in there between it and the driver or is the driver not even visible?

I can't see the inside when looking at the grill.
I would assume that the driver doesn't hit the grill.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #305 of 1,305

No it wouldn't hit the grill. The grill is quite heavily convexed and the driver wouldn't work properly if it did.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #306 of 1,305
Thanks for your response.

I'll have to plug them in overnight and let them run. I seem to have solved the driver flex by changing the tips.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your current filter setup? I'm curious to see what others found works well, noticing some huge changes in regards to the bass, especially when adding and removing the black ones.

Cheers
I have two favorite setups right now. Typical pop recordings and newer stuff (brickwalled) is best with red filter/ green tips. Hip hop is AMAZING with this combo.

Classical and traditional recordings (orchestral, especially romantic era, and American Songbook, rat pack, et al.) are better with purple filters and gold tips.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #308 of 1,305
Well it's all pretty unanimous so far regarding that red filter and modern music.
It punches with AUTHORITY without getting too washed out

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #309 of 1,305
Bizarrely enough, this little fella has given me the most enjoyable sound from the R2 so far, playing tidal through my phone with USBAPP. Seems to have really good synergy with R series

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #310 of 1,305
Bizarrely enough, this little fella has given me the most enjoyable sound from the R2 so far, playing tidal through my phone with USBAPP. Seems to have really good synergy with R series
IMG_20190806_233358.jpg

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #311 of 1,305
No it wouldn't hit the grill. The grill is quite heavily convexed and the driver wouldn't work properly if it did.
Then I know exactly what I'm going to do to! Looks like then gold ring holds the grill in place so I ll just put a round piece of carpet tape on the inside. Perfectly reversible if it doesn't achieve the desired outcome. Thanks for insights

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #313 of 1,305
Welp pulled the trigger and mine ship tomorrow! Excited for these they look great, actually sold my U12t's to make this purchase happen. #worthit

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #314 of 1,305
Holy smokes. I got my aftermarket cables to fit. The 2 hole collar is TIGHT. Really tightly engineered there.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #315 of 1,305
If anyone is after a beautifully recorded piano album to test the Z2 or anything else then Vangelis has just released a piano album called Nocturne and it's on tidal masters. It sounds wonderful
Yep! Popped a Forza hybrid cable on the R2s and fed that album through a Mojo. Excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back