IMR R2 Aten Thread
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #151 of 1,305
After going through so many different IEMs this past year, I've come to a realization that the sweet spot for IEMs is around the $200-$400 price range. There are so many good IEMs in that price range that it doesn't make sense to spend 3-4x and barely get a 5%-10% improvement.

R2 is what i'm hoping to keep for a long time.
Moondrop KPE and Artvano Otato are the other 2. I spent $60 and $320 on them.

I guess with the extra $$ saved, I've spent on cables :grin::grin::grin:
Oh, i definitely agree. Especially since the Zenith (And probably the R2 as well) easily compete with the >1000$ price range.
And while cheaper IEM's, around 100$ are not bad either, the upgrade to 200-400$ is definitely worth it. For eample I have the One More Triple Driver IEM here, which is really good for its 90$ price tag. But i simply can't enjoy listening to it that much anymore, since i heard the R1 and Zenith ^^
Details in songs get lost, especially the low end starts feeling mushy, ect...

Now about cables, i really don't have a lot of extra money for that... as a student there are more important things to finance. But so far i am quite happy with my 20$ Chi-FI cables from Aliexpress, which are already a big improvement over the stock cables of the zenith (Might be different for the R2). :beyersmile:

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #152 of 1,305
So far I'd say the midrange is significantly improved. The highs aren't quite as shrill at times and the bass with the bass heavy black filter is huuuuuge.
I'm really interested to hear what you consider the most neutral setup.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #153 of 1,305
If you mean filter wise I'm not sure yet. I spent yesterday with the black set up which is a pure bass head tuning and tonight with the red which I'd consider to be about on par with the black filter on the Zenith. I will work my way down the order that's listed on the Aten Web page from top to bottom till I find the one I like bass wise, then once that's found I will do the same with the treble filters. Feels like the most methodical way to start for me. I will post my thoughts with the base filter I try tomorrow if you want me to.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #154 of 1,305
One thing I will say about that black filter is that the bass has a genuine visceral slam to it. It's too much for me, even with reggae but it's gonna be popular with the EDM crowd. I've never heard bass like it from anything other than a large speaker set up. The texture of the bass was superb I will add. Same with the red.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #155 of 1,305
One thing I will say about that black filter is that the bass has a genuine visceral slam to it. It's too much for me, even with reggae but it's gonna be popular with the EDM crowd. I've never heard bass like it from anything other than a large speaker set up. The texture of the bass was superb I will add. Same with the red.
Good to know it carries that over from the Zenith. These IMR IEMs are made for bass. It’s their reason for being. Killing the bass and trying to make them ‘neutral’ just didn’t do it for me. There are other IEMs that cost the same or less that do neutral much, much better. The IMRs should play to their strengths. Glad to read the upper mids are less shrill with the R2. That’s the Zenith’s Achille’s Heel.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #156 of 1,305
Good to know it carries that over from the Zenith. These IMR IEMs are made for bass. It’s their reason for being. Killing the bass and trying to make them ‘neutral’ just didn’t do it for me. There are other IEMs that cost the same or less that do neutral much, much better. The IMRs should play to their strengths. Glad to read the upper mids are less shrill with the R2. That’s the Zenith’s Achille’s Heel.
If you love your bass then they definitely have you covered. I don't think even or R1 goes as low as the black filter on the Aten. It's very heavy and very textured. Oddly it still maintained a damn good instrument seperation and didn't drown out the mids or highs as much as its quantity might suggest

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #157 of 1,305
When you say the mids can be shrill and that it is the Zenith Achilles heel, how shrill are they? Are they fatiguing? I just ordered them....

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #159 of 1,305
When you say the mids can be shrill and that it is the Zenith Achilles heel, how shrill are they? Are they fatiguing? I just ordered them....
Don’t stress, you’ll love them. I’m particularly sensitive to shrill/shiny upper mids (I listen to a lot of female vocals, and if the recording is poor...). And we all hear differently. I wouldn’t worry. But the bass is definitely the star of the show here. If anyone asks me to describe the Zenith (and apparently the R2) with one word, it’ll be ‘bass’.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #160 of 1,305
It's can be a little bright with poorly recorded material. I found a good quality copper replacement cable smoothed it off a lot. Its a fine IEM though. I'm sure you will like it. We all did or we wouldnt be buying the Aten.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #161 of 1,305
Thanks! Looking forward to them. Appreciate the reassurance!

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #162 of 1,305
Oh man - great to read all the fantastic news and impressions. Mine has left the UK and hopefully I should have it end of next week!!

Can't wait.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #165 of 1,305
I received mine today. Only a short listening session.
Fit is much better than any previous IMR, the kind of IEM that can be forgotten in your ears (huge plus point for me).
Nozzles seems a bit longer, which makes for a better fit with stock silicone tips.
Red/blue seems a nice option for me, further listening tomorrow morning on my commuting time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back