Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 28, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #6,061 of 18,143
Does anybody has both Avalon & Elan? How do you feel about mids and the intimacy of the sound stage n signature comparing this two iems?

Because I've got some weird feelings...
1) Subbass on Elan goes deeper even if DD is smaller (11mm vs 10mm) here is some track that shows it out:
Bersarin Quartett at the beginning there is a low freq sound that rumbles on Elan and feels weaker on Avalon.
2) Mids are forward on Elan so they feel like they are more transparent comparing to Avalon, this is why mids on pro's are perceived as veiled. Elan have more in common with CA Andromeda in this department. And Avalon continue Elysium's a bit darker sound signature. Here: Kllo female vocal on Avalon sounds darker than on the Elan. So singer appears older :o2smile:
3) Sound stage on pro's is reeeeeally huge so again compared to Elan that sound with more intimacy and presence, Avalon appear more defused (too spacious). Little Dragon here have more cohesive sound.
Am I the only one that hears like this?
P.S.(Sorry for mistakes)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #6,062 of 18,143
I initially thought Xelastecs were really good especially as the iem's stay put when moving around but after a while realised they weren't quite right with my Ozar and DM's so I tried a pair of Crystals I'd put away because the fit wasn't great. Much better sound and the highs no longer sound slightly muted. To compensate for the stickyness (which wears off after a while) I bought a few different sizes before finding which ones that fit well, worth it as they're staying put as good as the Xelastecs.
Only used the supplied tips briefly when first getting the iem's as they just fall out with the least movement and the seal isn't great, they're probably meant as a starter pack just to get you going.

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #6,063 of 18,143
So I've got the Ozar's which I got on the classified. Beautiful mids and good highs but originally the bass seemed to not quite give the IMR thump, so after making contact with Bob he asked me to send them in. Within just a few days they were back with me. Amazing customer support by any standards whatsoever. Clearly Brandon and Bob at IMR had done some big time magic. Either magic dust or a magic wand. With a 4.4mm FiiO adapter on the 2.5mm cable, HiBy R5 and L Spiral Dots, the bass has arrived and the Ozar's sound fantastic.....and there must still be lots of Burn-In changes to come. Firstly some have called it (with blue treble filter and black bass lower), bassy and V shaped. They are right.....bassy when needed, but the midrange is not V shaped or recessed at all, it is musical with perfect timbre/tone and placement. The soundstage is unique. On 'Africa' by Habib Koite, the bass takes place outside the head, 'Ambitionz Az A Ridah', 2pac, the Ozar becomes basshead. On Tears Inside and also 'Focus on Sanity', Ornette Coleman, the spaciousness of the soundfield/soundstage is amazing, 'Wolf Totem' by The Hu is visceral and impactful. I am now finished buying Chinese IEM's because support is 8000 miles away. I've got the EDP Ace paid up and waiting to see how it compares with the Shuoer S12, the 7Hz Timeless, and my Tri i3 with its DD, Planar and BA. The Ozar is magical......I get it, I get this thread now, Bob makes IEMs on another level and most importantly, the support is at another level...very special, and just up the road in the UK.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #6,065 of 18,143
So I've got the Ozar's which I got on the classified. Beautiful mids and good highs but originally the bass seemed to not quite give the IMR thump, so after making contact with Bob he asked me to send them in. Within just a few days they were back with me. Amazing customer support by any standards whatsoever. Clearly Brandon and Bob at IMR had done some big time magic. Either magic dust or a magic wand. With a 4.4mm FiiO adapter on the 2.5mm cable, HiBy R5 and L Spiral Dots, the bass has arrived and the Ozar's sound fantastic.....and there must still be lots of Burn-In changes to come. Firstly some have called it (with blue treble filter and black bass lower), bassy and V shaped. They are right.....bassy when needed, but the midrange is not V shaped or recessed at all, it is musical with perfect timbre/tone and placement. The soundstage is unique. On 'Africa' by Habib Koite, the bass takes place outside the head, 'Ambitionz Az A Ridah', 2pac, the Ozar becomes basshead. On Tears Inside and also 'Focus on Sanity', Ornette Coleman the spaciousness of the soundfield/soundstage is amazing, 'Wolf Totem' by The Hu is visceral and impactful. I am now finished buying Chinese IEM's because support is 8000 miles away. I've got the EDP Ace paid up and waiting to see how it compares with the Shuoer S12, the 7Hz Timeless, and my Tri i3 with its DD, Planar and BA. The Ozar is magical. I get it, I get this thread now, Bob makes IEMs on another level and most importantly, the support is at another level...very special, and just up the road in the UK.
I have to agree Bob and Brandon are above and beyond when it comes to support I contacted them this week about Halcyon open back filters for a size to replace the mesh which has come out and they are sending me a brand new set of filters recorded delivery free of charge. Amazing service for a set of iems I bought off ebay used. Looking forward to the edp ace. This is the main reason I switched from buying used IMR to brand new from them.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #6,066 of 18,143
I would love to get some spiral dots but i like the moondrop tips and Cheap foam tips from ali express , i got so many different tips its unreal lol

I tried the purple nozzle and blue filter and i nearly started crying on how bad they sounded 😂 (but this could be stock tip issue)

Obv im giving them a chance to burn in they r at home at the moment playing on repeat 🤣

I thing i need to check and i have never had the issue and not sure if its the stock tips that causing the issue or if the bore of the iem is too wide for my ears

Gonna compare with my other iems tonight and use some of my own tips i have.

Never had an iem before were i didnt enjoy them from the get go

The fact that theres additional steps i need to take is a bit of a pain in the butt but they could end up being end game iems altho they have stiff completion with my existing iems and the edp ace when they come
The original Spiral Dots are available from Penon Audio at a reasonable price.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #6,068 of 18,143
20220428_142632.jpg

What better way to enjoy a mundane flight except this?

Shanling M3X>Nocturnal Audio Acrux 4 core>IMR Elan

and Edgar Allan Poe

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #6,069 of 18,143
The DM are not voiced too far apart, they are just more realistic. The stage sounds like open air whereas the Ozar are more just playing the notes in an intimate, conventional headspace. A layer of subtlety is added all over the frequency range, with a more lifelike timbre. I don’t hear them as bass monsters at all, the quantity is on par with the Ozar, with great quickness and texture.
Im finding a similar sound with the Dark Matter. There is some sort of magical 3D. Im thinking this is the Bone Conduction motor working its magic
You can always hear the reverb of the room in which the vocals are recorded in. That level of clarity impressed me greatly
The instruments are all heard clearly with their unique characteristics in their own space although not as defined or sharp, in that there is more of a complete holistic sound of the entirety of the album than perhaps with SOG or SOR

There is something profoundly 'real' about the sound - quite lifelike in regards to how supremely 'confidently' the note thickness / quality is
Reminds me very much of the first time I heard music played in a recording studio through their speakers - Blew me away at the sound quality
Its very early days - Bob recommends 3-500 hours burn in! Its been my experience with IMR ADLC/CNT drivers that they only start to fully open up / mature AFTER 300 hours
Having said that even moving into the [early disappoint stages] of IMR burn in :D
the sound is blowing me away.
I was sceptical at first at Bob using the 'PRO' wording on the DM but I have to say, in many ways, Im finding the sound of the Dark Matter is the most 'Pro' yet of the IMR line up

Still on 'reference' set up red lower/pink upper. Looking forward to increasing the treble resolution and slightly lowering the low end with other filters but even though the sound is slightly too thick for me its SO well done Im happy to keep it as it is.
Suffice it to say I am Very happy and content with the DM. A perfect closed back companion for the Semper

NB: The single crystal cable Bob uses are very well chosen for the IMR sound and are excellent cables. If you want to spend $150+ for a cable that gives more of certain characteristics then go for it but to report his cables are 'rubbish' or not good is (with respect) nonsense
I do find though that I need to [carefully] remove the plastic tubing of the cable so that the cable fits perfectly, hugging my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #6,070 of 18,143
Im finding a similar sound with the Dark Matter. There is some sort of magical 3D. Im thinking this is the Bone Conduction motor working its magic
You can always hear the reverb of the room in which the vocals are recorded in. That level of clarity impressed me greatly
The instruments are all heard clearly with their unique characteristics in their own space although not as defined or sharp, in that there is more of a complete holistic sound of the entirety of the album than perhaps with SOG or SOR

There is something profoundly 'real' about the sound - quite lifelike in regards to how supremely 'confidently' the note thickness / quality is
Reminds me very much of the first time I heard music played in a recording studio through their speakers - Blew me away at the sound quality
Its very early days - Bob recommends 3-500 hours burn in! Its been my experience with IMR ADLC/CNT drivers that they only start to fully open up / mature AFTER 300 hours
Having said that even moving into the [early disappoint stages] of IMR burn in :D
the sound is blowing me away.
I was sceptical at first at Bob using the 'PRO' wording on the DM but I have to say, in many ways, Im finding the sound of the Dark Matter is the most 'Pro' yet of the IMR line up

Still on 'reference' set up red lower/pink upper. Looking forward to increasing the treble resolution and slightly lowering the low end with other filters but even though the sound is slightly too thick for me its SO well done Im happy to keep it as it is.
Suffice it to say I am Very happy and content with the DM. A perfect closed back companion for the Semper

NB: The single crystal cable Bob uses are very well chosen for the IMR sound and are excellent cables. If you want to spend $150+ for a cable that gives more of certain characteristics then go for it
I do find though that I need to [carefully] remove the plastic tubing of the cable so that the cable fits perfectly, hugging my ears.
There's no BC on DM anymore. It was scheduled at the beginning, but in fact into the final version it disappeared. Check it out on the technical characteristics

What better way to enjoy a mundane flight except this?
Looks gorgeous

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #6,071 of 18,143
There's no BC on DM anymore. It was scheduled at the beginning, but in fact into the final version it disappeared. Check it out on the technical characteristics

The IMR 6mm CNT (conduction motor)

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #6,073 of 18,143
I would love to get some spiral dots but i like the moondrop tips and Cheap foam tips from ali express , i got so many different tips its unreal lol

I tried the purple nozzle and blue filter and i nearly started crying on how bad they sounded 😂 (but this could be stock tip issue)

Obv im giving them a chance to burn in they r at home at the moment playing on repeat 🤣

I thing i need to check and i have never had the issue and not sure if its the stock tips that causing the issue or if the bore of the iem is too wide for my ears

Gonna compare with my other iems tonight and use some of my own tips i have.

Never had an iem before were i didnt enjoy them from the get go

The fact that theres additional steps i need to take is a bit of a pain in the butt but they could end up being end game iems altho they have stiff completion with my existing iems and the edp ace when they come
Well no wonder they didn't sound quite sexy, they need burn in and a good cable, and you need some patience my friend 😜
I know how frustrating and depressing it is to pay a sum of money for something, wait days and nights for the package to come and then finally after you get it, it just sounds baaad!! But for that you have to have patience and faith and wait. It is the downside of imr. But on the other is the quality to price ratio very high imao. And anyway, imr has a really great customer service, you can simply return them, if in the end you are not satisfied.

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #6,074 of 18,143
Carbon nanotube - it's dynamic driver
Am I wrong?
I THINK - (Ive asked Bob via email) that the CNT dd is combined with a bone 'CONDUCTION' so called - motor Whatever that means !?!
Anyway, the DM and I think the Avalon has a new unique driver / driver chassis construction
Will find out from the main man and report back
The DM SOUNDS like and FEELS like it has a BC in it so if it doesn't contain a BC motor then Im even more impressed :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back