Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 28, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #6,077 of 18,531
I initially thought Xelastecs were really good especially as the iem's stay put when moving around but after a while realised they weren't quite right with my Ozar and DM's so I tried a pair of Crystals I'd put away because the fit wasn't great. Much better sound and the highs no longer sound slightly muted. To compensate for the stickyness (which wears off after a while) I bought a few different sizes before finding which ones that fit well, worth it as they're staying put as good as the Xelastecs.
I've been thinking of trying the Crystals, given the short life span of the Xelastecs. If I use a M and ML Xelastec, would I want the same sizes on the Crystal?

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #6,080 of 18,531
I've been thinking of trying the Crystals, given the short life span of the Xelastecs. If I use a M and ML Xelastec, would I want the same sizes on the Crystal?

I've spent a small fortune on Azla eartips this last month. You might find you need to go up one size with the Crystals. I'm now using ML one side and a M the other, whereas with the Xelastecs it was always no larger than a M and even a MS one side.
It's true what someone said (Paggio?) the Xelastecs lose use their strong grip after a few weeks around the stems.

Also be careful the water isn't too hot when cleaning Crystals, they go opaque.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #6,081 of 18,531
Xelastecs lose use their strong grip after a few weeks around the stems
I find that this only happens after I've had them in my ears for a few hours. Once they warm up, the material they're made of becomes malleable. But once they cool down they grip the stems just fine.

I'm getting a lot of use out of Xelastecs, myself. I've only wasted one pair when I tried the hot water trick to restore their shape, which resulted in them becoming completely opaque and mushrooming.

Otherwise, when they assume the shape of my ear canals, I just twist them 90 degrees on the nozzle and I get good seal again.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #6,082 of 18,531
Why don't you wait for some EDP ACE used model, at least you can get something different. SoG should be Ozar's small brother.
I can always move them on - with the discount it's pretty irresistible tbh. If I get on with the fit they are keepers! @Ryokan

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #6,083 of 18,531
Actually i cant argue with how fast the item got sent out and delivered
I had to wait 2 weeks for my monarch to be built and shipped then another 5-7 days for them to arrive

So techincally thats the burn in period of the imr iems 😂

So its about the same time lol

Well no wonder they didn't sound quite sexy, they need burn in and a good cable, and you need some patience my friend 😜
I know how frustrating and depressing it is to pay a sum of money for something, wait days and nights for the package to come and then finally after you get it, it just sounds baaad!! But for that you have to have patience and faith and wait. It is the downside of imr. But on the other is the quality to price ratio very high imao. And anyway, imr has a really great customer service, you can simply return them, if in the end you are not satisfied.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #6,084 of 18,531
So I've got the Ozar's which I got on the classified. Beautiful mids and good highs but originally the bass seemed to not quite give the IMR thump, so after making contact with Bob he asked me to send them in. Within just a few days they were back with me. Amazing customer support by any standards whatsoever. Clearly Brandon and Bob at IMR had done some big time magic. Either magic dust or a magic wand. With a 4.4mm FiiO adapter on the 2.5mm cable, HiBy R5 and L Spiral Dots, the bass has arrived and the Ozar's sound fantastic.....and there must still be lots of Burn-In changes to come. Firstly some have called it (with blue treble filter and black bass lower), bassy and V shaped. They are right.....bassy when needed, but the midrange is not V shaped or recessed at all, it is musical with perfect timbre/tone and placement. The soundstage is unique. On 'Africa' by Habib Koite, the bass takes place outside the head, 'Ambitionz Az A Ridah', 2pac, the Ozar becomes basshead. On Tears Inside and also 'Focus on Sanity', Ornette Coleman, the spaciousness of the soundfield/soundstage is amazing, 'Wolf Totem' by The Hu is visceral and impactful. I am now finished buying Chinese IEM's because support is 8000 miles away. I've got the EDP Ace paid up and waiting to see how it compares with the Shuoer S12, the 7Hz Timeless, and my Tri i3 with its DD, Planar and BA. The Ozar is magical......I get it, I get this thread now, Bob makes IEMs on another level and most importantly, the support is at another level...very special, and just up the road in the UK.
I think that they swapped out my Ozar's because these are soooo good. I've about 50 IEMs and these are by far the best DD I've ever heard and they are not even burned-in yet. Just another level.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #6,086 of 18,531
I think that they swapped out my Ozar's because these are soooo good. I've about 50 IEMs and these are by far the best DD I've ever heard and they are not even burned-in yet. Just another level.

@dharmasteve - an analogy just for you

'A split hairs difference and heaven & hell are set apart' - Mahasiddha Saraha :wink:

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #6,087 of 18,531
@dharmasteve - an analogy just for you

'A split hairs difference and heaven & hell are set apart' - Mahasiddha Saraha :wink:

Like the story about the Samurai un-sheathing then re-sheathing his sword.

Just started using Ozars after DM, and can't decide which I like best, both have their charms:beyersmile:

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #6,090 of 18,531
Regarding the cables supplied with IMR IEMs. I have always bought fairly inexpensive cables. I have bought many Faaeal 4 core copper cables in my time and like the richness of copper. I have used a Faaeal Copper cable on my Tripowen HBB Olina and I love the sound. It makes sense to use copper on the Ozar and.....I like it. I am very impressed by the sound of the two core IMR copper cable that I am using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back