Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #17,221 of 18,128
I was saying s few posts back that I found the treble to be fine with the Avalon but with a subsequent session I realised the music I was listening to at that time had particularly clear / loud cymbals in the tracks which were clear as a bell.
With other albums I found the cymbals to be more in the background of the mix and
over all in general to be more soft in presentation than hard (hard as in wooden stick hitting brass!)
I dont find this an issue in any way though. I dont catch myself not hearing the cymbals in the sense that im noticing a problem or anything missing but if i am reminded and listen out for it then I hear it
End of the day though I have a special TOTL type of experience when listening to the Avalon especially the more organic, natural the music / instruments are the more they shine
Seems the naming fits the sounds of each quite well - The softer more dreamy (Kingdom of ) Avalon and the majestic Titan :)
Couldn't agree more that with the right source, Avalon is one rare gem producing rich, organic sound with an amazing sense of depth. And by no means, is Titan making it obsolete from what I have first person experience now.
I would say, Titan has a better shell (subjective feature), more detailed and a bit wider (Avalon already has a fantastic stage) and it is brighter (which offers more opportunities to get lost into that gorgeous EST treble).

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #17,222 of 18,128
Very bassy (dirty and uncompromising bass) considering the driver combination (BC/BA/Planar), narrow stage, fun oriented tuning, not the best dynamics on first listen.
Overall, another universe from IMR, sounds 'weird' in comparison.
But you know after brain and burn in, things grow on you.
One thing I read from reviewers which I don't understand is that the BC is responsible for all that Bass. And I thought that these drivers have a frequency response of low-mids to low-treble...

Maybe it's a source thing.
First impressions directly from my LG V60.
Or partly because I usually listen to IMR Zenith, a comparatively huge sounding IEM.
Give me some time to check another source at least.

I was curious to see how much the source would change up the Kineras, and you're right. It's definitely a source thing. When I was first testing the Plutus Beasts I was using my FiiO M11 DAP, and I loved them. But using them straight from my Android tablet, they were much closer to your initial thoughts on them. I'd only recommend them for use with a quality source.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #17,223 of 18,128
Couldn't agree more that with the right source, Avalon is one rare gem producing rich, organic sound with an amazing sense of depth. And by no means, is Titan making it obsolete from what I have first person experience now.
I would say, Titan has a better shell (subjective feature), more detailed and a bit wider (Avalon already has a fantastic stage) and it is brighter (which offers more opportunities to get lost into that gorgeous EST treble).
This is pretty much how Bob described the differences between Avalon and Titan to me in 2022. The stage would be the biggest difference. Largest possible stage was his goal.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #17,224 of 18,128
I was curious to see how much the source would change up the Kineras, and you're right. It's definitely a source thing. When I was first testing the Plutus Beasts I was using my FiiO M11 DAP, and I loved them. But using them straight from my Android tablet, they were much closer to your initial thoughts on them. I'd only recommend them for use with a quality source.
Thanks
Good to know that, because I too own an M11.

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #17,225 of 18,128
Well the Titans are very open sounding, like an open back over-ear headphone.
At least this is my perception. Bass is audiophile bass, very textured, not a MEXT vibrating bass.
Maybe a bit addition towards that direction would be perfect if it didn't threw the delicate auditory equilibrium off balance.
It's an elegant audiophile sound presentation, fitting many genres.
A tad bright for my treble sensitive ears even with black/black combo though.
Not a hint of sibilance of course, but in long sessions I become aware of more treble than I can metabolize.
So I'll probably have to explore a bit here the upper filter options but I would hate to lose any detail because of this.
Anyone who understands this and has Titan please give me a shortcut to the 'best' filter here...
Blue bottom red top for me

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #17,226 of 18,128
How donthey fit compared to normal tips like for size? Because they r very expensive for a pair and not sure what size to get
And are they wide bore tips?
Well I normally wear m size but with these I am using L. To be on the safe side my first order was the set with M&L.
The bore is wide yes but not the widest, here you can see.

Attachments

• 20240207_215745.jpg
    20240207_215745.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #17,227 of 18,128
Those look interesting. I'll give em a try I can see or imagine that those brass inserts preserve the soundwave.
Well my impression on my first listen with these was that they bring more details and clarity, the sound just resonated much better along the whole spectrum. This brass that ng really seems to make a difference. Although they are pricey I had 0 regrets having them. I will be getting myself a pair of velvets. Can anyone say something regarding their size? For someone like me who usually get along with M, should I get also M or the ML?

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #17,228 of 18,128
Well my impression on my first listen with these was that they bring more details and clarity, the sound just resonated much better along the whole spectrum. This brass that ng really seems to make a difference. Although they are pricey I had 0 regrets having them. I will be getting myself a pair of velvets. Can anyone say something regarding their size? For someone like me who usually get along with M, should I get also M or the ML?
Sizes are listed here: https://hifigo.com/products/divinus-velvet?variant=44057388286191

My right ear hold needs L or XL all the time. I'm not 100% confident the L is really 14.2mm ... seems to be very close in size to the L Spiral Dot (but ... when speaking of fractions of a millimeter, it's pretty small).

Can't say for sure, but I expect the M would be fine. I think other M tips are typically 12mm and the Velvets are listed at 12.4mm.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #17,230 of 18,128
Traded other preorders towards an enigma which made the price palatable.

Listening on blue/blue and compared to titan blue base/ red top, it sounds a lot smoother. Bass is typically IMR deep and textured ootb. Treble is, I think, much smoother. Wrapping my head around mids. Will reserve the right to amend the above following burn in.

a few months ago I was not thrilled about treble on seraph (discussions of cymbals here perplex me as this part of the audible spectrum feels very in your face with seraph to me) and chalked it up to the BAs. Someone suggested that it could be the mems. No peaks on enigma at all and radically different from seraph's treble. Expect this confirms ba problem. Also enigma treble relatively tame and I've put corier tips on to liven it up a bit. That all said, I'm treble shy and over the past few years have been finding where the line is for me. Enigma doesn't cross it, seraph does.

sense of space may be less than titan, layering excellent. Interestingly years ago I was in the single headfi shop in the Netherlands (mixed feelings about this experience) and the owner suggested I try the ve phoenix. At the time my go to was dark matter and I was sort of perplexed why the phoenix sound signature commanded n thousand euros. Mids and treble on the enigma remind me of the phoenix sound quality...accurate and not bombastic. Sounds are placed well and give a sense of a real show...eg cymbals aren't crashing in your ear so you hear every reverberation but sound clear and placed as they would be in life outside of a living room set up.

tough pressed to say whether the enigma or the titan is superior. Will wait for burn in. Going between them while enigma ootb I felt the urge to listen to the enigma every time I put the titans in. Could easily chalk that up to new toyitis.

compared to previous generations (e.g. semper) there's just no comparison. Semper sounds goofy AF with bloated bass to the point of the rest of the audible spectrum is tarnished.

it's really amazing to see imr's evolution in a few short years. If only the business side of things could keep up which , unfortunately, makes or breaks custom.
After two days with Enigma+, I can say that I agree with every point you made comparing it to Titan. I don't have much to add. They are definitely different sounding IEMs, but very close in many respects. Sort of like identical twins that you can still tell apart.

Mine only has maybe 20 hours on it so far, but I'm assuming yours has more by now. Do you have any new impressions?

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #17,231 of 18,128
After two days with Enigma+, I can say that I agree with every point you made comparing it to Titan. I don't have much to add. They are definitely different sounding IEMs, but very close in many respects. Sort of like identical twins that you can still tell apart.

Mine only has maybe 20 hours on it so far, but I'm assuming yours has more by now. Do you have any new impressions?
Thanks for the feedback. then there is no need to upgrade from the Titan to the Enigma .

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #17,232 of 18,128
I was saying s few posts back that I found the treble to be fine with the Avalon but with a subsequent session I realised the music I was listening to at that time had particularly clear / loud cymbals in the tracks which were clear as a bell.
With other albums I found the cymbals to be more in the background of the mix and
over all in general to be more soft in presentation than hard (hard as in wooden stick hitting brass!)
I dont find this an issue in any way though. I dont catch myself not hearing the cymbals in the sense that im noticing a problem or anything missing but if i am reminded and listen out for it then I hear it
End of the day though I have a special TOTL type of experience when listening to the Avalon especially the more organic, natural the music / instruments are the more they shine
Seems the naming fits the sounds of each quite well - The softer more dreamy (Kingdom of ) Avalon and the majestic Titan :)
I prefer the Avalon to the Seraph these days.
The synergy between Avalon and the EA Code 23 cable + Divinus velvet is amazing.
I would have to say with the Mest mk2, cymbals sound better than Avalon.

Avalon is very lively and the bass with EA 23 is thumping.
I wonder if i should try the brass tips with Avalon.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #17,233 of 18,128
Speaking of tips I got myself the Pentaconn Coreir Brass few months ago and they are really the best I have tried so far and tend to elevate all aspects of sound with every iem I used them with. Though haven't tried the velvets yet, although they have been on my AliExpress basket for a while.
Ive been wondering about these for a while now.
Will these fit on the upper lower filter combo of IMR iems ?
Do we need to buy a particular size of these tips to compensate for the IMR filters ?
If its not too much can you post a picture of the tips with the IMR filter ?

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #17,234 of 18,128
Thanks for the feedback. then there is no need to upgrade from the Titan to the Enigma .
Not quite a correct statement (or conclusion).
Yes, TITAN and Enigma+est are somewhat similar, but there are still differences and they are big. In terms of bass, they are approximately the same, but Enigma does more and better. In terms of mid-frequencies, the Enigma sound is similar to the sound of a planar driver, it sounds very pleasant and quite detailed and transparent (I think this is the work of the AMT and MEM drivers). High frequencies are also better, they are more accentuated and with long-range attenuation, still better (I think that in addition to the EST driver, the AMT and MEM drivers join this).

TITAN sounds very impressive, but if you listen to ENIGMA + there are differences.

I suggest everyone who has TITAN and ENIGMA to listen with Pentaconn Coreir BRASS tips and an EA CADMUS 8W cable, you will be guaranteed to be impressed by the sound of TITAN and ENIGMA.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #17,235 of 18,128
Speaking of tips I got myself the Pentaconn Coreir Brass few months ago and they are really the best I have tried so far and tend to elevate all aspects of sound with every iem I used them with. Though haven't tried the velvets yet, although they have been on my AliExpress basket for a while.
Pentaconn Coreir Brass fits very well on ENIGMA (TITAN is identical), they stay on very well and do not fly off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back