Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 29, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #13,306 of 17,953
Lol I'm pretty sure that nobody knows how the filter colors work with each other. For example, you can't just switch top filters from green to blue and expect "better" treble. The FR changes, the bass changes, the tonality changes. You really need to go through almost all the filter combinations if you are truly looking for the best sound for your ears.

I use gold lower and red upper on ACE because it sounds the best. But almost nobody would try gold lowers. Same for Titan, I tried going from red lower to purple in an attempt to slightly reduce the bass, but the entire bass range fell apart and the soundstage collapsed. Switching to grey lower sounded fine, but there was too much treble sharpness, so I had to go with a red upper, but that made the bass too boomy. 4 or 5 combinations later, I finally landed on red lower and green upper and found perfection.

Haha it worked someone's put me out of my misery :smile: Will try gold lowers with red/green.

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #13,307 of 17,953
I have sold off most of my IEM collection, but still own Indigo as well as Szalayi. The funny thing is that I think Indigo is a pretty significant step up all around compared to Szalayi. They're both very good, and they share a lot of similarities in terms of tuning and technicalities, but Indigo is clearly better. But at the same time, I will say that Titan is in another LEAGUE compared to both Szalayi and Indigo. That's how far apart these IEMs are.
I just had to chime back in about this. I just spent the last 2 hours listening to the same album straight through from start to finish TWICE with Szalayi. It sounded good. Very good. I was really digging the music.

And then I re-started the album with Titan.

Within the first 10 seconds I was already laughing. As good as Szalayi is, and it IS very good, it sounds like a toy compared to Titan. That's the description that comes to mind.... a toy. I'm about halfway through the album now with Titan and I'm still just shaking my head. Not sure how Bob created this IEM, but it's absurd.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #13,308 of 17,953
My Titans arrived. Listened for about 2hrs. All I will say for now is that I am super happy that I had the patience to wait it out and not ask for a refund on these. The very first thing I noticed about these was just how grand and superb the sound stage is (surpasses the Semper). Will report back after more listening time.

20230629_101102-01.jpeg

Jun 30, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #13,311 of 17,953
With which by the way I was listening last night that Ritmo-Roots album a friend shared above.
Balanced with a Null audio cable on my M11: the powerful club-like feeling of the listening experience is unbelievable. The texture and mass of the bass, the detail and depth of the mids and shimmering atmosphere of treble. How extraordinary...

Jun 30, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #13,312 of 17,953
Jun 30, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #13,314 of 17,953
@fablestruck I bet this would blow your socks off on the Avalon

Listening to the below on Bandcamp with the Bass Cannon right now and the stage is fantastic. So many sounds to focus on. The high notes sit far out of the head and back in the mix but so clear as well.

Jun 30, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #13,315 of 17,953
Quick question to any Elan+ owners:

How does the sound of cymbals feel to you?

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #13,317 of 17,953
I like the gold lowers as they tighten up the bass but it sounds a little 'thick/congested' I'm tempted to remove the white fabric filter but once done it might ruin them, has anyone done this and liked the result?

You then create your black lower.

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #13,318 of 17,953
I'd love to understand how it is that different IEMs can render soundstages so differently, what helps them achieve their results and what the limit might be on what you can do with 2 channel music without getting into 'obvious processing' territory (which can rob music of its character and musicality IMO). Is it transients / artefacts in recordings that certain drivers are just able to exploit and render in a crisper way (similar to 'edge enhance' in graphics applications maybe) which elevates them out of a mix and emphasizes their spatial characteristics?

Having cancelled my Titan preorder, I bit the bullet and picked up a set on ebay. Even out of the box, there is some really nice placement, especially with backing vocals. Listening to Undisclosed Desires by Muse, there is a whispered vocal in the right channel that I never noticed before but it is nicely present on the Titans, again just enough to give a nice spatial effect, and some backing vocals in a Placebo track which had the effect of cascading away from the ear - very cool. Interestingly, listening to Be With Me by VAST and the image is very compressed / congested which is why I asked the question above.

My issue sometimes with a big soundstage is that it can remove the impact of the bass and kick drum through the centre and for things that may be panned hard right or left, can detach them from the music a bit, almost like the image is being distributed or 'stretched' too far. I'm not getting that with the Titans.

The Avalons were my personal favourite IMRs prior so I'm hoping that Titans live up to their potential of being Avalon+ once burnt in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back