• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #7,531 of 18,160
Still no notification for ace
I mean its one thing saying expected ship date and another saying shipping to start
What it takes 2 weeks to get your things organised?
i think he has too much going on and not enough help
Thats 2 new iems
1 new headphone
All the Older modes that got ordered
New unannounced iem

But waiting patiently

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #7,532 of 18,160
Just the basic black lower, blue upper. I'm guessing I have nearly a couple of hundred of hours on them. I think I am lucky. The first Dark Matter I got wasn't right...that's for sure.....the present set, the replacement, is as perfect as a set can get. Maybe I'm easily pleased but I have the archetypal Dark Matter....they suit my taste completely. Well done Bob. I'm just using the HiBy R5 high gain, no EQ, Kotori Carbon (Copper Litz) Cable, L Spiral Dots, streaming Amazon HD music player.
Thanks :) i was wondering if you were using sabre dac chip DAP.
Spend a big chunk of my audio journey with ESS Sabre. Always liked them. I have yet to find an AK chip that sounds natural to me :/
Since hearing Sonys TOTL Dac chip though Im done now for DAP sound. Search over :D

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #7,533 of 18,160
I'm with you on the DM. Due to a recommendation a few pages back I "scaled down" from lower black to a grey-blue upper combo. Both are fantastic. Performance totally changed with the R5 on high gain. I preferred the Opus Mia on low gain, but these things like the juice! For a live concert experience, I can't recommend them enough. I've got at least 250 hrs on them, probably more.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #7,534 of 18,160
Thanks :) i was wondering if you were using sabre dac chip DAP.
Spend a big chunk of my audio journey with ESS Sabre. Always liked them. I have yet to find an AK chip that sounds natural to me :/
Since hearing Sonys TOTL Dac chip though Im done now for DAP sound. Search over :D
Try an R2R DAC. I wish I never did. I could never, ever, go back to delta-sigma. Sooo much cheaper to buy, but quite frankly, so much cheaper sounding as well.

Honestly, I always found AK chips smoother and less grainy sounding than ESS chips anyway. "Natural"? Who knows. But AK chips (449x+) always sounded more "analog" than anything from ESS. YMMV.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #7,536 of 18,160
photo_2022-07-09_15-58-24.jpg

I've been spending the last 8 days with the DM, as they reached 300 hours of burn in on the 1st.

Summary: Excellent IEMS, at the moment on par with Elan, with perhaps a bit larger sound stage and more clarity. Mids may also be a bit better. Waiting for more magic to develop as I listen, the kind our friend @jon parker keeps talking about (and is Jon ever wrong?). Hoping it comes through as I didn't buy these to have a "second Elan."

Haven't quite settled on a filter combo. Thinking gray lower, not sure about upper.

Using my desktop Monolith dual DAC/Amp or FiiO M11 Pro, stock cable (4.4mm) and Spiral Dot tips.

Random observations

These are a bit "hot", meaning I frequently reach for the volume button or knob to turn them down. So far, at the moment, they seem a little more fatiguing than the Elan. Definitely not holding anything back. But, comfort and fit are great; they are very light in the ear.

Blue lower/red upper
The Beatles, The Beatles sides 1 & 2
  • Bassline in Dear Prudence. Pure
  • Sax section on Ob-La-Di very crisp
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps: George sounding great
  • Rocky Racoon: Macca's vocals more forward
  • Same for John on Julia
Filter change to gray lower/red upper
Audience-recorded Pink Floyd bootleg: Not good! Source matters.
Yes, Heart of the Sunrise. Wow. Right in Chris Squire's bass strings
Queen, Cool Cat. Thick
Goldfrapp, Silver Eye... full, big. "Ocean" powerful and still under control.
McCartney III: Clarity is exceptional. Closing track sounds like he's right there
Tears for Fears, Tipping Point: End Of Night, toward the end there's a reverberating guitar that is very impressive

Filter change to green upper
Rush, Moving Pictures: Side 1. Fantastic separation on some complex tracks
Annie Lennox, Diva: Great bottom end and Ms. Lennox sounding more than fine
Roxy Music, Jealous Guy: No complaints.
Tenet OST: One of my most frequent plays over the last 18 months. Familiar rumble coming through excellent.

Jul 9, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #7,537 of 18,160
photo_2022-07-09_15-58-24.jpg

I've been spending the last 8 days with the DM, as they reached 300 hours of burn in on the 1st.

Summary: Excellent IEMS, at the moment on par with Elan, with perhaps a bit larger sound stage and more clarity. Mids may also be a bit better. Waiting for more magic to develop as I listen, the kind our friend @jon parker keeps talking about (and is Jon ever wrong?). Hoping it comes through as I didn't buy these to have a "second Elan."

Thanks for sharing in detail. Always really interesting to hear other peoples experiences

Excellent IEMS, at the moment on par with Elan, with perhaps a bit larger sound stage and more clarity. Mids may also be a bit better. Waiting for more magic to develop as I listen

I agree 100% with this - I have had a few really magic moments with them but not always. As I mentioned before, it was only after 420+ hours that they seemed to reach their best

Haven't quite settled on a filter combo. Thinking gray lower, not sure about upper.

Same here - pretty much settled on grey lower but still not sure about upper yet :/

These are a bit "hot", meaning I frequently reach for the volume button or knob to turn them down. So far, at the moment, they seem a little more fatiguing than the Elan. Definitely not holding anything back. But, comfort and fit are great; they are very light in the ear.

Exactly the same for me! They are often a bit 'aggressive' the way they present music - bit like a group of drunk girls in a bar! - with certain albums

The problem I have with them is that they CAN be incredible (they are always 'good') BUT only if you happen upon the filter combo that perfectly suits the music that you are playing at that time.
I can run them with 2 maybe 3 different filter set ups with which each set up suiting perfectly to about 1/3rd of my music.

The Semper is perfect with everything in my library... from Jazz/Folk to Black metal and everything in between, literally perfect

Ive had some incredible 3d Holographic Euphoric times with the DM but this was from a chance synergy with a certain filter set up and the most by chance, perfectly matched music at the right time of the day for my listening ear.

I prefer them often to my Ozar which seems quite flat in comparison. The DM's offer a unique sound which i like a lot.
My 2 main conclusions are:
1. I have a feeling that they will benefit from another 2-300 hours burn in. Very stiff drivers + powerful magnet with a lot more 'space' to move the driver in i think gives a bit dynamics than usual - fast drivers but very stiff and moving a lot is what gives their [sort of] punchy sound
2. with my set up every album is presented brutaly as it is so I can never be sure how my listening session will go. The DM is sensitive to finding the right synergy but when all the stars DO align it really is a special and unique IEM

The question for myself is - Do i want to keep an IEM that can be extraordinary and pretty much perfect when synergy is right or use something a little safer but not having as big WoW factor !?

I had a session with my Semper the other day which made me think the Semper is like Rolls Royce where as the Dark Matter is like a Maserati - Beautiful car but can be a little wild if you are not careful !!

Jul 9, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #7,538 of 18,160
I had a session with my Semper the other day which made me think the Semper is like Rolls Royce where as the Dark Matter is like a Maserati - Beautiful car but can be a little wild if you are not careful !!

While I haven't tried the Semper, I think your analogy is on the money.

Having heard my Elan transform over the initial break-in period, hoping the DM do the same. And if not, there's always eBay ... or sending them back to Bob I guess. I'll keep the Elan in a drawer and focus on the DM ... and soon I'll have to put the EDP Ace into action.

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #7,539 of 18,160
While I haven't tried the Semper, I think your analogy is on the money.

Having heard my Elan transform over the initial break-in period, hoping the DM do the same. And if not, there's always eBay ... or sending them back to Bob I guess. I'll keep the Elan in a drawer and focus on the DM ... and soon I'll have to put the EDP Ace into action.
It's a funny old hobby this so I read these two posts, remembering the Elan was my favourite iem before the DM. I dug out the grey filters, not an option I've used before paired with blue top and popped them both the Elan and DM. The DM sounds superb with the grey lower (I was previously on pink) and blue (I have some high frequency hearing loss so this suits me. The Elan needed full black on black to even come close and then still wasn't as pleasing across the whole range, the bass was some how brighter(colder) and less organic in its delivery. Now I listen to mainly classic rock, metal, old school funk and Americana. So that little bit of warmth pleases my ear my next favourite and almost tying with the Elan is the Halcyon which is literally the polar opposite in its presentation. As I said funny old hobby.
I did notice a set of Opus Mia on eBay and was tempted because of the Halcyon.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #7,541 of 18,160
Well looks like the ace is being shipped tomorrow yet i have no tracking number yet 🤦🏻‍♂️
He says no uk tracking numbers until the post office gets the parcel

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #7,542 of 18,160
Has anyone eligible for it actually received the ETS for their Avalon or Dark Matter? I haven't seen anybody mentioning it here but I may have missed it.
I asked Bob about it again when I received today's newsletter, and got the following in response:

"We have had a handful that have reported they have not arrived. They had all been sent by standard mail (no tracking)."

If a handful of people reported not getting theirs that someone in this thread surely would have received it at least.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #7,543 of 18,160
Has anyone eligible for it actually received the ETS for their Avalon or Dark Matter? I haven't seen anybody mentioning it here but I may have missed it.
I asked Bob about it again when I received today's newsletter, and got the following in response:

"We have had a handful that have reported they have not arrived. They had all been sent by standard mail (no tracking)."

If a handful of people reported not getting theirs that someone in this thread surely would have received it at least.
True that. I’ll e-mail IMR.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #7,544 of 18,160
Dear Customers,
"What an amazingly patient group of people you are! Thank you so much for your wonderful support and patience on these recent builds. Most certainly patience testing times for us all.
However your patience will be rewarded. The EDP Ace and Zenith II will be dropped at the post office tomorrow for processing and their onward journey to you.
Most standard delivery overseas shipments will have had their tracking numbers uploaded, UK ones will have theirs uploaded once the post office have processed. Express shipments are being booked and your tracking information will be available soon.
Thank you so much for waiting for your builds and you are going to have huge amounts of fun with your new toys".

May the lord have mercy on our souls.....the day of reckoning cometh. Do I a sinner deserve the EDP Ace? Probably not being a naughty boy. It seems though that I will be on the Jury chosen to judge the IMR EDP Ace. May god have mercy on the Ace's soul (may Karma have mercy on my mind-stream and it's rubbish}.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #7,545 of 18,160
May the lord have mercy on our souls.....the day of reckoning cometh. Do I a sinner deserve the EDP Ace? Probably not being a naughty boy. It seems though that I will be on the Jury chosen to judge the IMR EDP Ace. May god have mercy on the Ace's soul (may Karma have mercy on my mind-stream and it's rubbish}.
If the EDP don't open up and lead me through the very gates of the Pure Land of Shambala itself then karma will not find me a so called 'amazingly patient wonderful person' :D
Karma is great....so forgiving and kind :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back