Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 1, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #5,221 of 18,496
Hi, first congrats on receiving your Avalon! I see you own a PB2 too, I got addicted to their mid forwardness and detail retrieval, but I honestly miss musicality, and this high mid peak is sometimes a pain in the ass. So I was wondering how do Avalons compare to them, especially are they more musical? Or did you notice any peaks? I listened to my friend's Elan and really loved their musicality and loved the realism of the bone conduction. I am hoping the Avalon is somehow on the same track, retaining musicality but providing an updated detail retrieval and sound stage. Your insight would be highly appreciated, thanks!
At the moment they are more musical and more fun. Still need a few more hours, but I do think Avalons will be more musical and detailed than PB in the end. Also I heard no bothersome peaks on the Avalon, and as for realism, the Avalons are way above the Elan. Thats my take at this stage. Still got a few hours to go on the Burn...

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #5,222 of 18,496
At the moment they are more musical and more fun. Still need a few more hours, but I do think Avalons will be more musical and detailed than PB in the end. Also I heard no bothersome peaks on the Avalon, and as for realism, the Avalons are way above the Elan. Thats my take at this stage. Still got a few hours to go on the Burn...
Thanks a lot, that sounds very promising!!

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #5,223 of 18,496
Unlike most manufacturers, with IMR you can go straight to the top and ask the question.

If I have not missed one your previous posts, I suggest you write to Bob, you should get a response soon.
To be honest i normally would? I Bob's a stand up guy i really like him , but this is one of the situations where i don't want to be the one that asks, i mean what's he gonna say? I think he's got enough in his plate with Stingray, i really don't think it's the time to cause him even more stress!

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #5,224 of 18,496
To be honest i normally would? I Bob's a stand up guy i really like him , but this is one of the situations where i don't want to be the one that asks, i mean what's he gonna say? I think he's got enough in his plate with Stingray, i really don't think it's the time to cause him even more stress!
OK I just asked. I am happy with the staging and realism either way, but I’d like to know whether I’m at last hearing IMR bone conduction, or still not.

Mar 1, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #5,225 of 18,496
OK I just asked. I am happy with the staging and realism either way, but I’d like to know whether I’m at last hearing IMR bone conduction, or still not.
Yeah I get ya didn't realize you had DM! Leave it with me ill drop him a pleasant email just asking out of curiosity? I let you know when he replies?

Mar 1, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #5,226 of 18,496
Some photos of Splash of Gold and Dark Matter:

20220301_171429.jpg20220301_171652.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #5,227 of 18,496
I already did, got a prompt answer and some chat with the man, the dm has 2 dd, the 6mm has a conduction motor attached for better contact with the shells in order to increase efficiency (opened mine yesterday and can corroborate, it's the barrel in the left corner, no i won't open it again to take pictures, I already scratched the screws enough in the name of curiosity) the elan has a different kind with what it seems like 2 squares in the same position without the same advantage. It does sound different, elan has a super agressive conduction while dm has a similar effect without the dizzyness that elan gave me, that's why I love bc but cannot stand it that much. Dm I can wear for hours. Elan after 40 minutes I'm already a bit hazed

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #5,228 of 18,496
I already did, got a prompt answer and some chat with the man, the dm has 2 dd, the 6mm has a conduction motor attached for better contact with the shells in order to increase efficiency (opened mine yesterday and can corroborate, it's the barrel in the left corner, no i won't open it again to take pictures, I already scratched the screws enough in the name of curiosity) the elan has a different kind with what it seems like 2 squares in the same position without the same advantage. It does sound different, elan has a super agressive conduction while dm has a similar effect without the dizzyness that elan gave me, that's why I love bc but cannot stand it that much. Dm I can wear for hours. Elan after 40 minutes I'm already a bit hazed
Top man i take my hat off to ya👍 that's what i thought the bone conduction was within the 6mm couplin. I'm still considering DM every minute of every day? The SOG is SO F-ING AMAZING the DM must be something so special?
The SOG is still astonishing me each & every day! I manly use it for electronic music but i was listening to some Dire Straits today and Mr knofla's guitar sounded as good or even better than Opus Mia & Mest mk2! I just cannot believe Bob got this sound from ONE dynamic driver.
I cannot wait for Ace, i have a real hunch its gonna be one of the most Speacial monitors Bob has made? It has that same dynamic as SOG the same Planar as Elysium and the same sonion bone conduction as Avalon and Ace & Avalon are the only IMR monitors to use this new Sonion bone conduction!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #5,229 of 18,496
Top man i take my hat off to ya👍 that's what i thought the bone conduction was within the 6mm couplin. I'm still considering DM every minute of every day? The SOG is SO F-ING AMAZING the DM must be something so special?
The SOG is still astonishing me each & every day! I manly use it for electronic music but i was listening to some Dire Straits today and Mr knofla's guitar sounded as good or even better than Opus Mia & Mest mk2! I just cannot believe Bob got this sound from ONE dynamic driver.
I cannot wait for Ace, i have a real hunch its gonna be one of the most Speacial monitors Bob has made? It has that same dynamic as SOG the same Planar as Elysium and the same sonion bone conduction as Avalon and Ace & Avalon are the only IMR monitors to use this new Sonion bone conduction!
you're getting me really excited for the Ace now!

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #5,230 of 18,496

It's certainly got more rumble, (using the gray dampers).

Edit: After just a few hours it's obvious these are a step up in bass.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #5,231 of 18,496
Tomorrow my 100 hour burnin of the IMR SOG will be finished. I already tested the SOG today for a minute. So much better now. Best tuning I have ever heard. Best details I have heard so far. Far more details then 7Hz Timeless or any headphone. The IMR SOG and my 7Hz Timeless will be my endgame IEMs. Not gonna buy any new gear this year. Maybe a cable on 11/11 sale.

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #5,232 of 18,496

Speaking of screws. Aren't the Avalon and Dark Matter supposed to have different colored screws? Guess which one is which?

20220301_104727-01.jpeg

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #5,233 of 18,496
Speaking of screws. Aren't the Avalon and Dark Matter supposed to have different colored screws? Guess which one is which?

20220301_104727-01.jpeg
The bigger one on the left is DM I guess? Regarding the screws, I guess imr is just a small workshop where things are done manually, the assembly I mean, I can Imagine Bob ordering these batches of screws and different components of the chassis etc.. where many components are actually used in many models! 😀 So no wonder if a couple of screws got mixed up. How do they compare so far btw?

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #5,234 of 18,496

20220301_104727-01.jpeg
I'm tempted to buy Avalon hehehe one of my fears is to confuse em hahaha but yeah, they seem identical. If I end up doing so ill have to mark em in some way

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5,235 of 18,496
Tomorrow my 100 hour burnin of the IMR SOG will be finished. I already tested the SOG today for a minute. So much better now. Best tuning I have ever heard. Best details I have heard so far. Far more details then 7Hz Timeless or any headphone. The IMR SOG and my 7Hz Timeless will be my endgame IEMs. Not gonna buy any new gear this year. Maybe a cable on 11/11 sale.
Sorry to pour cold water. Both my SOR and SOG still changed after 300h. It only after 350~400h that i stop noticing the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back