Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 28, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #5,206 of 18,158
Indeed. The details are incredible. Best mids I have ever heard.

Please try a pure copper cable atleast once. Too me it seems like the details are getting even more forward now.
Yes I'm with you there, the mids have this beauty of coming from all around your head, if i didn't know any better i would have thought the bone conduction driver was in the SOG instead of the MEST! Now you say about trying a pure copper cable i cannot believe iv not thought about using my MEST PWA Pure Copper Cable! I'll change to it for this evening's listening session.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #5,207 of 18,158
It feels a bit more present but SOG feels more bassy
To be honest I'm pretty content with SOG but seriously considering Dark Matter if it mids & soundstage are as good or better than SOG but with more & better quality sub-bass?

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #5,208 of 18,158
I'm about 250 hours into burning in the Avalon and had a cheeky listen. The initial dark character I found straight out of the box is much improved. I have a feeling these are going to be very special indeed, especially with more layered material, where Stereo space has been carefully considered and used in the mix.

I only listened for about 10 mins, skipping through some tracks at random but there were definitely some 'how did he do that' moments in terms of soundstage and placement. The song 'Across The Night' by Silverchair with the orchestral elements and harpsichord sounded very nice. Can't wait to put it through it's paces properly on Friday and compare it with the Elysium.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #5,209 of 18,158
Talking about Dark Matter im REALL. confused/concerned!?
I have just read the description again and the driver configuration details have TOTALLY changed! They originally stated a 11mm CNT/ADLC Dynamic Driver with a 6mm CNT/ADLC Dynamic Driver Coupled to it for an increased bass immersion and a Bone Conduction Driver for added detail putting you inside the music. Then in the Specs it stated 1x 11mm CNT/ADLC Driver 1x 6mm Dynamic Driver and 1x Bone Conduction Motor.
Now it says The IMR 6mm CNT(Conduction Motor) Coupled to the 11mm CNT Driver and in the Specs says
11mm Wide band CNT Driver & 6mm Conductionn Motor!
Its COMPLETELY different now it says it has 2 drivers instead of the 3 drivers it used to say it had! The thing is the only differences between Dark Matter & Bass Cannon was the extra Bone Conduction Driver but now it says it has the same drivers as Bass Cannon!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #5,210 of 18,158
I have just read the description again and the driver configuration details have TOTALLY changed! They originally stated a 11mm CNT/ADLC Dynamic Driver with a 6mm CNT/ADLC Dynamic Driver Coupled to it for an increased bass immersion and a Bone Conduction Driver for added detail putting you inside the music. Then in the Specs it stated 1x 11mm CNT/ADLC Driver 1x 6mm Dynamic Driver and 1x Bone Conduction Motor.
Now it says The IMR 6mm CNT(Conduction Motor) Coupled to the 11mm CNT Driver and in the Specs says
Its COMPLETELY different now it says it has 2 drivers instead of the 3 drivers it used to say it had! The thing is the only differences between Dark Matter & Bass Cannon was the extra Bone Conduction Driver but now it says it has the same drivers as Bass Cannon!
Damn… what the hell?

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #5,211 of 18,158
i 100% remember that too...since the Avalon was 2 BC drivers, DM was supposed to have 1 BC driver.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5,212 of 18,158
Just checked and no idea what is happening. Originally it was 2 DD + Bone conduction motor.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #5,213 of 18,158
I'm about 250 hours into burning in the Avalon and had a cheeky listen. The initial dark character I found straight out of the box is much improved. I have a feeling these are going to be very special indeed, especially with more layered material, where Stereo space has been carefully considered and used in the mix.

I only listened for about 10 mins, skipping through some tracks at random but there were definitely some 'how did he do that' moments in terms of soundstage and placement. The song 'Across The Night' by Silverchair with the orchestral elements and harpsichord sounded very nice. Can't wait to put it through it's paces properly on Friday and compare it with the Elysium.
I'm wondering what is responsible for such different impressions of the Avalon's sound. You found it dark initially, @dakchi says that to him it's bright, while to me it's just right and I'm using it with blue filters on which theoretically should make treble really hot. Yeah, it's detailed, to the point that I'm noticing new things in songs that I know really well, but I don't find it excessively bright.

I should reach 200 hours of burn-in around tomorrow or Wednesday. Then I'll do a comparison with the Semper with the same nozzle/filter combination and tips to see how they sound side by side. This will give me a better idea of the differences between them.

I hope it's not unit variations, because those should only be minor normally. Is it because of our reception of the bone conduction drivers' action?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #5,214 of 18,158
Avalons got here, initially, hmm ,realism and detail addictive very addictive...grey lower/ blue upper. Still in the process...

Mar 1, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #5,215 of 18,158
Just checked and no idea what is happening. Originally it was 2 DD + Bone conduction motor.
So I'm not going mad😛lol
It is strange! Maybe the 6mm coupling was always the bone conduction motor and Bob just worded it incorrectly and has now corrected it? Who knows? But i do remember thd Zenith ll dynamic driver was put incorrectly as 11mm when it was first advertised until some of the guys on here pointing it out to him and then it was changed to 14.2mm!
I think some type's are going on here, i would have a stern word with his web designers if i was Bob!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #5,216 of 18,158
So, if you turn that around, it's most to least bass, for the filter?

Gold > Green ~ Magenta > Red > Black > Blue
The Filters dampen the treble-region more than the bass-region (squiq-graph-term-wise). They change the perception of bass to highs distribution. And lower the overall-volume due to the overall dampening of the cloth.

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #5,217 of 18,158
Avalons got here, initially, hmm ,realism and detail addictive very addictive...grey lower/ blue upper. Still in the process...
Hi, first congrats on receiving your Avalon! I see you own a PB2 too, I got addicted to their mid forwardness and detail retrieval, but I honestly miss musicality, and this high mid peak is sometimes a pain in the ass. So I was wondering how do Avalons compare to them, especially are they more musical? Or did you notice any peaks? I listened to my friend's Elan and really loved their musicality and loved the realism of the bone conduction. I am hoping the Avalon is somehow on the same track, retaining musicality but providing an updated detail retrieval and sound stage. Your insight would be highly appreciated, thanks!

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #5,219 of 18,158
So I'm not going mad😛lol
It is strange! Maybe the 6mm coupling was always the bone conduction motor and Bob just worded it incorrectly and has now corrected it? Who knows? But i do remember thd Zenith ll dynamic driver was put incorrectly as 11mm when it was first advertised until some of the guys on here pointing it out to him and then it was changed to 14.2mm!
I think some type's are going on here, i would have a stern word with his web designers if i was Bob!
Unlike most manufacturers, with IMR you can go straight to the top and ask the question.

If I have not missed one your previous posts, I suggest you write to Bob, you should get a response soon.

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #5,220 of 18,158
Decided that I will use my SOG on my desktop once 100 hour burn-in has been achieved. Time to use some EQ and then the rest of the burn-in is getting done with YouTube videos.
Oh your in for a treat they take EQ like a champ👍
I use either my ES100 which has a fantastic EQ when I want portatabty & remote control/Mic orAndroid Power EQ the rest of the time.
The bass gets SERIOUSLY deep & rattles ya jaw off and the extra detail & sparkle from a 2-3db boost @16KHz is sensational!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back