Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #5,251 of 18,128
Because they give me the quantity of bass that I like.
I used to use the semper with the silver nozzle for a time, to get even less bass out of it, because I found the combination excellent for metal.
Which tips do you use?

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #5,252 of 18,128
... Overall, in direct comparison, I feel like the Avalon wins as far as my sound signature preferences are concerned. Its sound is more natural, warmer, and euphonic when compared with the Semper side by side.
Nice write up. I also started doing some A/B comparison today as reached the 300 hour burn in. For context, I found the Semper to be a bit too clinical and I sold them in favour of the Elysiums, which were more fun for my taste, so comparing the Avalon with the Elsyium.

It's an interesting comparison and not as cut and dry as I was expecting. The Avalon sounds amazing, no doubt about it. In almost every way they are better than the Elysium and on paper are the best IEM I have ever listened to. I was expecting to compare them and sell the one that came off less favourably but I don't think it's going to be that straightforward.

I hadn't realised until this side by side comparison how much the Elysium really 'glues' bass and drums together. Avalon has a better and more detailed overall presentation and is no slouch in that department, drums hit hard and sound amazing, but it doesn't groove quite like the Elysium does... I can listen to a song on the Avalon and think 'that sounds amazing' and not feel like I'm missing out on something but then I put the same song on through Elysium and it's a bit more visceral and my head is bobbing immediately in a way that the Avalon doesn't. Possibly the natural result of having a wider soundstage and better overall separation, you don't quite get the same focused attack / transient response through the middle to really get things moving in the same way maybe?

My Elysium have had roughly 100 hours more time on them but I'm not sure that any further burn in with the Avalon will close the gap in this particular regard, I think it's just their signature but YMMV as they say. If there was some way of achieving the best of both of these worlds in one IEM that would really be something.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #5,253 of 18,128
Nice write up. I also started doing some A/B comparison today as reached the 300 hour burn in. For context, I found the Semper to be a bit too clinical and I sold them in favour of the Elysiums, which were more fun for my taste, so comparing the Avalon with the Elsyium.

It's an interesting comparison and not as cut and dry as I was expecting. The Avalon sounds amazing, no doubt about it. In almost every way they are better than the Elysium and on paper are the best IEM I have ever listened to. I was expecting to compare them and sell the one that came off less favourably but I don't think it's going to be that straightforward.

I hadn't realised until this side by side comparison how much the Elysium really 'glues' bass and drums together. Avalon has a better and more detailed overall presentation and is no slouch in that department, drums hit hard and sound amazing, but it doesn't groove quite like the Elysium does... I can listen to a song on the Avalon and think 'that sounds amazing' and not feel like I'm missing out on something but then I put the same song on through Elysium and it's a bit more visceral and my head is bobbing immediately in a way that the Avalon doesn't. Possibly the natural result of having a wider soundstage and better overall separation, you don't quite get the same focused attack / transient response through the middle to really get things moving in the same way maybe?

My Elysium have had roughly 100 hours more time on them but I'm not sure that any further burn in with the Avalon will close the gap in this particular regard, I think it's just their signature but YMMV as they say. If there was some way of achieving the best of both of these worlds in one IEM that would really be something.
Thanks for this. Boy, am i looking forward to get the ACE. Same driver combination as Elysium. Realy hope he will ship it out in April.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #5,254 of 18,128
Which tips do you use?
SpiralDot++
I will have to do a comparison with the Elysium myself.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #5,255 of 18,128
DM on the right side - the screws are a tiny bit more silver-ish :wink: At least I hope it's DM, because it's what I've ordered and what I've got :D

That is correct. DM is slightly smaller in size. Between the two my preference lies with DM. Although Avalon seems to dig a little deeper in the bass department the mids\treble and overall tonality of the DM wins me over.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #5,257 of 18,128
Out of curiosity,has anyone tried the experimental tuning system? Avalons are developing some serious realism..a few more to go.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #5,258 of 18,128
Out of curiosity,has anyone tried the experimental tuning system? Avalons are developing some serious realism..a few more to go.
As far as I know nobody has received the ETS.
Well, no one in this thread, at least.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #5,259 of 18,128
That is correct. DM is slightly smaller in size. Between the two my preference lies with DM. Although Avalon seems to dig a little deeper in the bass department the mids\treble and overall tonality of the DM wins me over.
Do you have the 2? I would be interested in a comparison between DM and Avalon

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #5,260 of 18,128
High-end flagship IEMS with a basshead tuning are rare, but those that do exist, are the crème de la crème, IMR Audio being the main company to recommend when it comes to truly punchy IEMS!

Their IMR Audio ELAN IEM is one of the deepest, punchinest IEM I heard to date, and it has good comfort, excellent performance ratio, so if you love bass, this review will surely come in handy for you.

Don't worry, it ain't basshead with no taste, and IMR Audio knows how to produce quality sonics, with empahsized bass, but excellent dynamics, resolution, and a wide soundstage. Comparisons and more info in the full written review~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/03/imr-audio-elan-lion-at-the-door.html

IMR-Audio-Elan-IEMs-UK-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-32.jpg

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #5,261 of 18,128
Set my DAC to 32bit/192kHz. Then I changed some EQ settings. After that my IMR SOG worked perfectly. The tuning is now perfect. A little bit of EQ and a little bit of DSP.

* PEAK 32Hz +4,00dB Q0,69
* PEAK 10000Hz -2,00dB Q7,00
* PEAK 16000Hz +3,00dB Q4,36

That is my EQ setting for the SOG. Currently I only got 100 hours of burn-in on this device. Therfore I am going to let it play youtube videos a lot in the next two weeks.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #5,262 of 18,128
Set my DAC to 32bit/192kHz. Then I changed some EQ settings. After that my IMR SOG worked perfectly. The tuning is now perfect. A little bit of EQ and a little bit of DSP.

* PEAK 32Hz +4,00dB Q0,69
* PEAK 10000Hz -2,00dB Q7,00
* PEAK 16000Hz +3,00dB Q4,36

That is my EQ setting for the SOG. Currently I only got 100 hours of burn-in on this device. Therfore I am going to let it play youtube videos a lot in the next two weeks.
What filter and nozzle do you use?

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #5,265 of 18,128
I'm more excited about zenith II though must admit I'm having second thoughts and want to buy a spare sog just in case, I will still buy zenith ii of roucr but I used sog all day long today and was left speechless, I listen mainly to prog rock and a ton of 60's 70's rock and there's so much going on with em. I'm actually thinking of paint em all black (since I love so much Ozar looks) I'm a bit torn since I don't want to spend money right now. But I think and I hope that bob will only keep forward after this. Sog and Ozar are quite unbeatable for the price already.
Great minds think alike, i Absaloutly love the all black of Ozar it my favorite design out of the whole IMR catalogue along with Ace!
I would love my SOG all black, Bob should upgrade SOG but aesthetic's only, all black with a black cable and call it "SOG Stealth' or something?
As i keep on saying i cannot believe the sound that is coming from a single Dynamic! But i was doing a bit of surfing today and was reminded that Campfire Audio has Atlas & Vega both have a single 10mm ADLC Driver and many people rate them TOTL and they both cost nearly a grand!
After reading your thinking of buying a spare SOG iv decided once i finish writing this I'm off to end my for sale listing for the SOG i got my Ex and gonna keep it as a spare! Thanx for the idea👍
But if Bob does decide to keep the SOG but upgrade it "without" changing the sound and as long as i like it ill sell my spare and buy the new version? The way IMR monitors are built i really don't think ill need 2 spares lol
Maybe we should all put a request into Bob to upgrade SOG's colour and include the new experimental tuning,new cable & new hard case & small leather case and call it SOG Stealth for something like £249, what do ya think?
In regards to Zenith 'll? I would love to get the 14.2mm driver but i truly hate the design! That big screw that sticks out your ears is awful lol i cannot remember which film/program it is? But when I'm wearing zenith i look like a robot from the said film/program lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back