Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 22, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #5,026 of 18,128
Some helpful soul on here recommended Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, which I have used since.

I haven't ever done more than 8 hours a day of burn in. Is many more continuous hours okay, or is "rest" good?
When I was burning in the Elysium, I did it nearly continuously for two weeks. With only one or two overnight breaks when I forgot to charge the DAP.

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #5,027 of 18,128
Some helpful soul on here recommended Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, which I have used since.

I haven't ever done more than 8 hours a day of burn in. Is many more continuous hours okay, or is "rest" good?
I sure hope continuous burn-in is okay because my Dark Matter have been playing constantly since Monday of last week :grimacing:
If the night gets cold I’ll warm my hands by the tubes in my amp

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #5,028 of 18,128

Would have been me :) - The Brandenburg concertos are unique in that they contain all frequencies and have a huge dynamic range.
I have burnt in around 20 of IMR IEM's to date - Here is my experience:

Volume a bit louder than usual - OK to run continuously for a couple of weeks but better to give them an hour rest every few hours -12 maybe- or so

IMR's older IEMs that had the Aten driver needed 200 hours MINIMUM before evolving into their true selves with Hybrids needing longer for the different drivers to burn in individually and to come together for their final harmoniously [as intended] tuned sound

IMR's latest IEMs featuring the stiffer CNT / ADLC driver all became fully developed AFTER 320 hours burn in and NOT before!!

Also, bear in mind an IEM can sound 'ok' out of 1 DAP but incredible out of a different DAP
Sometimes tips used can make a huge difference
Some IEMS only show their full colour when given the power of an amp
Point being - Synergy is everything !!

Feb 22, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #5,029 of 18,128
Would have been me :) - The Brandenburg concertos are unique in that they contain all frequencies and have a huge dynamic range.
I have burnt in around 20 of IMR IEM's to date - Here is my experience:

Volume a bit louder than usual - OK to run continuously for a couple of weeks but better to give them an hour rest every few hours -12 maybe- or so

IMR's older IEMs that had the Aten driver needed 200 hours MINIMUM before evolving into their true selves with Hybrids needing longer for the different drivers to burn in individually and to come together for their final harmoniously [as intended] tuned sound

IMR's latest IEMs featuring the stiffer CNT / ADLC driver all became fully developed AFTER 320 hours burn in and NOT before!!

Also, bear in mind an IEM can sound 'ok' out of 1 DAP but incredible out of a different DAP
Sometimes tips used can make a huge difference
Some IEMS only show their full colour when given the power of an amp
Point being - Synergy is everything !!
Yes, and thanks again. I started using my Elan for everyday listening after about 75 hours of burn in, and I was ... somewhat unsure about them. I guess disappointed is a fair word.

Now I'm probably close to 500 hours and it's hard to use anything else. So, I second your 320 hour observation.

Feb 22, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #5,030 of 18,128
How is W2's sonical performance compared to SX-FI, apart from power?
Hmm, W2 is way better, clearer and with a very clean background (no hissing), plus to me at least much more resolution. Sxfi (in off mode for the effects) both have the same sound stage. however sxfi effect (if the song works for it) has a very open 3d stage.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #5,031 of 18,128
My Avalon arrived this morning to Australia, just had an hour with them so far hooked up to my Mojo 2, left the default filters on they came with. Very early sound impressions are very positive coming from my current IEM goto's the CA Dorado 2020's, hard to say if better or just different at this stage. Will repeat the current album I am listening too (Radiohead: A moon shaped pool) with the CA once its finished. I also have an L&P W2 so will give that a go too eventually.
The fit though I do seem to struggle with, this is my third pair of IMR after R1 and RAH and tbh have always struggled with the fit and end up giving up on them after a few months. I just cant seem to them to stay in my ears well, they always kind of just rest in my ear and the Avalon is already hurting on my right ear. I am just a sucker for shiny new things, maybe i can get these to fit well eventually

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5,032 of 18,128
I just learned Bob isn't building CIEM stingrays in-house, hence the delay. Is this extremely concerning to anyone else besides me? Feels like an utter bait and switch... I didn't buy into a 'TOTL' CIEM that is supposed to be built by someone other than IMR??? I emailed Bob to ask and that's the jist of what he said.

What.
unless he got a 3d printer for making the resins, it would be super hard for em to make in house, AMT drivers are ridiculously expensive, i wanted to buy one pair from one forum member, price was 1.5k usd used, from a easten european producer (basically a hand made pair of iems with open back, i dont remember the brand but they look mighty impressive, he sent me a couple of links from russians forums, everyone there praised the soundstage and mids from em) besides those are super hard to get (hedd has a pair i think, and they are full headphones, IEMS are super hard to get and not common at all)

give the man the chance to explain, i for one couldnt afford them actually, but the technology behind AMT drivers is something im quite interested in. i do think that what he's saying is that he needed the molds to be delivered or the drivers, he must be sourcing drivers from a third party to his specifications just like any other manufacturer, actually semper has the same sonion electrostats that many other headphones uses (and they are the only ones that are not screeching or annoying after a while), the touch is in the tunning. sometimes i wish he implemented some crossover but dude goes full in in his designs.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #5,033 of 18,128
My Avalon arrived this morning to Australia, just had an hour with them so far hooked up to my Mojo 2, left the default filters on they came with. Very early sound impressions are very positive coming from my current IEM goto's the CA Dorado 2020's, hard to say if better or just different at this stage. Will repeat the current album I am listening too (Radiohead: A moon shaped pool) with the CA once its finished. I also have an L&P W2 so will give that a go too eventually.
The fit though I do seem to struggle with, this is my third pair of IMR after R1 and RAH and tbh have always struggled with the fit and end up giving up on them after a few months. I just cant seem to them to stay in my ears well, they always kind of just rest in my ear and the Avalon is already hurting on my right ear. I am just a sucker for shiny new things, maybe i can get these to fit well eventually
man... im soooo tempted to get a mojo2... im trying to hold until the hype goes off a bit, but i love so much my mojo1 that i was tracking every single day since the announcement for impressions, and it sounds truly what i like in a dac.

have you tried different tips? for me audiotechnicas cks1000is tips make such a difference in fit with most of my iems... ok you wont buy a pair of headphones just for the tips, but epro e00's are a great options, or maybe radius deep mount tips? you can get em from amazon japan and they do wonders.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #5,035 of 18,128
Great your enjoying DM👍
Would you say they are totally basshead or are they just very Bassy? Do you own Opus Mia,Bass Cannon or Splash of Gold for bass comparison? Appreciate your help
I wouldn't say basshead. I bought them for live rock and roll recordings. The bass instrument really shines, more so than with the Opus Mia, which I felt was extremely separated, leading to analysis of the music rather than the simple joy of listening. I can feel the push of the air by the bass instrument through the speakers, and that is what I was looking for. I can't comment on jazz, pop or other genres, because I haven't used it for those. Very analogue feel. Maybe it's the bone conduction. There is certainly something there. Hope this answers your question. No comparison with the Opus Mia in the realm of live music, that's for sure.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #5,036 of 18,128
man... im soooo tempted to get a mojo2... im trying to hold until the hype goes off a bit, but i love so much my mojo1 that i was tracking every single day since the announcement for impressions, and it sounds truly what i like in a dac.

have you tried different tips? for me audiotechnicas cks1000is tips make such a difference in fit with most of my iems... ok you wont buy a pair of headphones just for the tips, but epro e00's are a great options, or maybe radius deep mount tips? you can get em from amazon japan and they do wonders.
Will work my way through my tips, i have some spiral dots which i found best with the RAH but really having issues with everything I try with the Avalons so far. Not being hopeful and could well be exploring return options

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #5,037 of 18,128
ok you wont buy a pair of headphones just for the tips
images.jpeg

I...I did... multiple times...the iems were cheap, 4-5 USD, but the tips are incredibly good. Those tips cannot be found separately. Using those with both of my IMRs..well, using Moondrop Spring tips on Elan though, currently.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #5,038 of 18,128
Can anyone give me some reccomendation for Ear Tips which bring out as much Sub-bass as possible?

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #5,039 of 18,128
I wouldn't say basshead. I bought them for live rock and roll recordings. The bass instrument really shines, more so than with the Opus Mia, which I felt was extremely separated, leading to analysis of the music rather than the simple joy of listening. I can feel the push of the air by the bass instrument through the speakers, and that is what I was looking for. I can't comment on jazz, pop or other genres, because I haven't used it for those. Very analogue feel. Maybe it's the bone conduction. There is certainly something there. Hope this answers your question. No comparison with the Opus Mia in the realm of live music, that's for sure.
Many thanx👍 I'm looking for an iem with extreme sub-bass that are very comfortable and isolate well for Drum & Bass when out and about? I'm one of the unlucky people which have fit issues with IMR monitors so can mostly only use them at home!
Still on the fence about DM but thanks for the advice

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #5,040 of 18,128
Can anyone give me some reccomendation for Ear Tips which bring out as much Sub-bass as possible?
In general, you want narrow-bore tips to increase bass quantity, but they won't make you hear bass that isn't there. If the driver does not generate sub-bass frequencies, they won't magically appear because you use such tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back