Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 15, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #1,021 of 17,973
Interesting (to me) thought... I am going to guess that burn-in, depending upon the IMR model, will be different depending upon the driver combination as an epiphenomenon of the physics of the different materials that comprise each component and the degree of overlap between them as far as the range they transmit. So, hear me out...

The EST would (conceivably) be the least problematic in that it is likely tuned in such a way as to cover the high end unperturbed. Thus, as temperature and heat generated during use tweak the signature slightly, there won't be much opportunity for it to be out of sync with the other drivers, whatever they may be.

The Planar would be second behind the EST as far as being dependent upon purely mechanical stressors that would affect signal. The larger planar in the later models would also likely carry more load in terms of range spread, and be more likely to overlap, thus increasing the likelihood of harmonic discord/mud.

The Piezo and Dynamic are probably the main offenders. They are the most 'mechanical' in terms of how they produce a signal and would probably change the most in response to temp and heat over time. Perhaps ~150 hours as @holsen has detailed in several posts. They are also most likely to overlap other drivers in low, mid, and highs. Basically, as they shift and other drivers do not, the sound as a whole would hypothetically become muddier in overlap ranges, especially low mids and upper mids. Here, they would undercut the planar magnetics for a time.

As Bob is clearly a master tuner, I would guess that he would aim at a couple hundred hours as a place to sync the assorted drivers--whatever they may be. That would be logical, given that all drivers are likely to settle into their long term formations by then. What that would also do, however, is to cause a period--or several--wherein drivers would be out of sync with one another. These might be the "70 hours" or "50 hours" wherein maximum distortion is present, and people send 'em back...

I dunno. What do you want? I'm a scientist, LOL.
This is a excellent summary!:smile::smile:. Wished I knew about this earlier before purchase .
And I noticed IMR doesn't use BAs for their drivers ?

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,022 of 17,973
BurnBurnBurn:ksc75smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_084213-01.jpeg
    IMG_20201216_084213-01.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #1,023 of 17,973
Got my Opus Mia a few days ago from a friend, with just a few hours of playtime. They sound great already and I know from previous models they really need time to reach full potential.
What is everybody using for burn in? I'm using a collection of WAVs with various tones, sweeps, brown, pink & white noise played on repeat through a Chord Mojo at a few volume steps above my regular listening level. Am I doing this right?
That sounds about right. Some use pink noise on a loop. I've got about 5000 CDs all ripped Flac or ALAC and I figure I'm going to be listening to music with them anyway, so I burn them with the very files I'll be listening to. There's pretty much every genre in my collection so they'll get lots of variation in tone, volume and frequency this way. I just open the list of songs and let them play for about a week at a volume slightly above what I would normally listen at. If I listen at 30 out of 100, I burn them at 40 ....

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #1,025 of 17,973
My fatty has landed in SG and in the mail processing centre. Should recv it by Thurs, hopefully.

Hi, what did you use to track, I am also in Singapore, but link(https://www3.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/ ) still shows

Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference RNXXXXXXXXGB . Please try again tomorrow.

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,027 of 17,973
try the singpost tracking

Hi, I tried in Singpost - Item status not found in the system. When did you get your email notificaton from IMR - mine was Dec 11

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,029 of 17,973
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #1,032 of 17,973
... I've got about 5000 CDs all ripped Flac or ALAC and I figure I'm going to be listening to music with them anyway, so I burn them with the very files I'll be listening to.

Isn't pink/white preferable to music for burn in? I'm thinking high registers above 15k are seldom played in music and with less energy than in white noise, 90% of the music happens between 200-8000. I have brown & violet noises in my loop, brownian noise is "industry standard" for burning in bass and mids drivers and violet does the same for the highs.

The EST would (conceivably) be the least problematic in that it is likely tuned in such a way as to cover the high end unperturbed.

But if the EST is tuned to cover the high end unperturbed, what is the piezzo left doing?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #1,033 of 17,973
Are there any owners of Rah and Opus Mia, as far as I understand, the main difference will be in the middle frequencies, but I'm not sure if I need an even middle Rah, for which genres it will be preferable?
Jazz, Voice / Singing, etc..
So pretty much any type of music except most electronic music (not counting quality Ambient/Drone that are well mixed for the genre) and crappy recorded punk/trash/heavy type Rock music. But for Doom and Kraut, even math/guitar heavy rock, Ilike my mids present. Disclaimer: IMO!

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #1,034 of 17,973
Hi, I tried in Singpost - Item status not found in the system. When did you get your email notificaton from IMR - mine was Dec 11
If using Royal Mail, I think you need to have lots of patient given it is Christmas period. Flu_fighter and me waited a long time for our EDP to arrive from UK to Singapore previously so both of us went with DHL this time round. We got out shipping notification on 10 Dec, Thurs and receive it on 12 Dec, Sat.

Among all the IEMs I have heard till date, Semper is the most sensitive/responsive to filter, tips, cable rolling.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #1,035 of 17,973
But if the EST is tuned to cover the high end unperturbed, what is the piezzo left doing?

It is doing the dog whistle range of sounds that we can't hear. haha

That is the gimmick of the piezo extreme extension.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back