Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 27, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #11,131 of 18,013
See my signature for my setup. R2R DAC, yes.

There are many IEMs with better resolution than the Z2. Even among IMR offerings, I hear more from ACE than Zii overall. Semper is at another level altogether. The Z2 isn't in the same league. My Meze Advar has higher resolution than Z2. TSMR Sands blows mostly everything away under $1K in terms of detail and resolution.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy the Z2. It's a super IEM for what it offers. It has terrific bass impact, a sense of fullness, and amazing left-right separation with deep staging and very finely presented treble effects. But to say that there aren't any other IEMs with better resolution is just not correct.
So true. I have relegated my TSMR Sands to mobile use with my Qudelix 5K. The Sands is my resolution endgame. The built-in EQ of my Q5K fits perfectly with this IEM. Incredible clear sound. But still the Z2 has bass and texture that other IEMs cannot provide. Fullness is a good term to describe it. Sounds have texture on the Z2 like no other IEM has.

Now it's time to find some good 2.5mm cables for my Sands and 4.4mm cables for my Z2. I wonder if the Na-Le will sound better then the Z2?

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #11,132 of 18,013
IMG_20230127_155100~2.jpg

The BC is a very beautifully made iem and very comfortable in the ear I use the new pro black 2020 cables on all my IMR iems and a few chifi ones too they just work so well for me.

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #11,133 of 18,013
Bc 23 update

So as always… i had to open it. SO! There’s a black tape protecting the top driver, the tape is covering a bit of the center of the driver. I find it to be muffling a bit the mids. Took it off and used micropore tape cut in half, helped the mids open up. Ive been using em with a shozy cable that i use for my daily drive, first 2 days soundstage started expanding quite quickly, though mids have been an interesting ride. Went from sort of muffled to open up nicely (more with the tape mod)

Anyways, there’s the soul of the original BC in the form factor, bass wise this one is different and same at the same time, there’s a bit less of mid bass but sub bass feels almighty and thunderous. It’s being a ride with this one and i think it will take better shape in a couple of weeks

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #11,134 of 18,013
A few brief thoughts of the (first couple of hours of) - 2023 Bass Cannon - (2023 ADLC bass driver + 2023 6mm ADLC mids/high driver)

OOTB - nothing impressed me too much but.... later on tonight . . .[Sony Wm1A - 4.4mm Balanced / silver cable / blue/blue filter]
1. Band of Gypsies - (Hendrix) - 'Machine Gun' - WoW! don't think Ive heard such accurate tonality and timbre of drums before o_0
2. The BC handles complex rock music very well with everything staying very well in it own place - a very good sign!
3. Listening to EDM - Bass is deliciously warm and analog tonality going real deep
4. Sub bass - Interstellar Soundtracks by Hanz Zimmer = HOLY S*&^%$^8@ T
5. Thus far - VERY skillful bass - deep, rich and embracingly comforting - Analog in nature yet perfectly balanced with digital like clarity - Really feels like the combination of the Dynamic nature of the driver PLUS the extra rigidity of the ADLC both joining together in perfect harmony to give the best of the unique characteristics each can offer

3. Apparat

4. Hanz Zimmer - Interstellar - The sub bass starting at 1.35 - Sweet Mother of . . . o_0

EDIT: Just listening to Brandenburg concertos (by Suzuki)) and hearing instruments in the background I havent heard before o_0.
Just to add that the rich timbre of the low end makes natural wooden instruments such as Cello vibrate deliciously - rich but natural

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #11,135 of 18,013
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #11,136 of 18,013
Bc 23 update

So as always… i had to open it. SO! There’s a black tape protecting the top driver, the tape is covering a bit of the center of the driver. I find it to be muffling a bit the mids. Took it off and used micropore tape cut in half, helped the mids open up. Ive been using em with a shozy cable that i use for my daily drive, first 2 days soundstage started expanding quite quickly, though mids have been an interesting ride. Went from sort of muffled to open up nicely (more with the tape mod)

Anyways, there’s the soul of the original BC in the form factor, bass wise this one is different and same at the same time, there’s a bit less of mid bass but sub bass feels almighty and thunderous. It’s being a ride with this one and i think it will take better shape in a couple of weeks
Photos please so i can add them to the latest pdf doc on page 1 :)

Even after a few hours this is fast becoming an intriguing IEM - Just listening to The Abyssinians - Satta Amasagana 'Declaration of rights' - (Superb 24/96 Reggae) - Big lush sub bass+bass - Anyway - deep INSIDE the bass I can hear the very quiet cymbal hits, played softly and yet with perfect clarity in the mix - extraordinary really!!

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #11,137 of 18,013
I've got a good few hours on my 2023 Bass Cannon now. Took the Kotori Carbon cable off my Dark Matter and put it on the BC. Bloody beautiful improvement. The bass is thumping but not covering the luminous yet smooth mids, which are surprisingly forwards. Bass in the DM ballpark, mids in the Ace ballpark. Treble not demanding or distracting, but good clarity. They look beautiful in the flesh. On my DAPs they are easy to drive 4.4mm, and I have them at a lower volume/gain than nearly all of my other IEM's. It should be renamed....'The Sexy IEM'....looks great. The name, Bass Cannon, detracts from it's overall competency.

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #11,138 of 18,013
I've got a good few hours on my 2023 Bass Cannon now. Took the Kotori Carbon cable off my Dark Matter and put it on the BC. Bloody beautiful improvement. The bass is thumping but not covering the luminous yet smooth mids, which are surprisingly forwards. Bass in the DM ballpark, mids in the Ace ballpark. Treble not demanding or distracting, but good clarity. They look beautiful in the flesh. On my DAPs they are easy to drive 4.4mm, and I have them at a lower volume/gain than nearly all of my other IEM's. It should be renamed....'The Sexy IEM'....looks great. The name, Bass Cannon, detracts from it's overall competency.
Its your bloomin fault i 'had' to grab a set . . . Something innocuous you said that caught me off guard about them :)
Glad I did though...Looking to turn into a spectacular IEM and I think a literal go to 'Bass head' IEM for the 'ol collection

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #11,139 of 18,013
Its your bloomin fault i 'had' to grab a set . . . Something innocuous you said that caught me off guard about them :)
Glad I did though...Looking to turn into a spectacular IEM and I think a literal go to 'Bass head' IEM for the 'ol collection
I am just a bug on the world Jon, who has way too many IEMs. The bass truly opens up, but has no true existence. Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika verse 220 on the emptiness of IEMs and everything else.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #11,140 of 18,013
The BC have been love at first listen I normally have to adjust my expectations when I first listen to an iem I grown into their charms slowly finding albums that they excel at. I always listen to the same 5 songs then gradually expand from there.
The BC just took my breath away to the point I forgot to switch tracks and ended up listening to full albums. This is most unusual for me The PB1 for example took 12 months to finally find it's place for me.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #11,141 of 18,013
I am just a bug on the world Jon, who has way too many IEMs. The bass truly opens up, but has no true existence. Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika verse 220 on the emptiness of IEMs and everything else.
:) There is nothing quite as delicious as pinpointing a previously unheard instrument normally hidden deep within a mix in the vast ocean like space of emptiness

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #11,142 of 18,013
:) There is nothing quite as delicious as pinpointing a previously unheard instrument normally hidden deep within a mix in the vast ocean like space of emptiness
I'm listening to Rosie by Fairport Convention, featuring Linda Peters, through the BC's. Not a bassy song but the BC play them immaculately.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #11,143 of 18,013
I'm listening to Rosie by Fairport Convention, featuring Linda Peters, through the BC's. Not a bassy song but the BC play them immaculately.
The Stones through the BC are amazing. 'Laugh I nearly Died' is played beautifully by the BC. I wonder if Bob knows he has got a winner here. Very good value for the sound quality. If this was the only IEM I had I wouldn't need anything else.
Will I ever know the size of the main ADLC 2023 driver???? :L3000:

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #11,144 of 18,013
Do you know/like Sandy Denny - probably my fav album of all time = Fotheringay - S/T The Song 'Banks of the Nile' is one of my all time fav songs - The production and mastering is so beautifully underrated. Maybe one of the best female folk singers we ever had ?

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #11,145 of 18,013
Do you know/like Sandy Denny - probably my fav album of all time = Fotheringay - S/T The Song 'Banks of the Nile' is one of my all time fav songs - The production and mastering is so beautifully underrated. Maybe one of the best female folk singers we ever had ?

I've had 'Banks of the Nile' on my playlists forever. 'Fotheringay' is great. 'Liege and Leaf', was something else too. Growing up across the 60's and 70's Fairport were my favorite band, Sandy Denny the greatest at carrying over the emotive folk tracks. I saw them in a latter iteration a few years ago at the Union Chapel in Islington, still masters of their craft. Brought back a lot of memories, as music tends to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back