Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #77 of 18,121
The only other option would be to try angled connectors on the IMR cable so it would then loop more horizontally then downwards and around rather than upwards across and down.
There is the third 'hidden' option of just happily accepting that nothing is perfect in this impure world and to be
content with the incredible sound :D

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #78 of 18,121
Hmm... Interesting first impressions for the Opus Mia, though I think burn-in will still be key given the driver configuration.
I have the Semper on pre-order but there is still a possibility of too many ingredients spoiling the proverbial broth, if the Opus Mia is already well tuned with its configuration, it will depend how the Planar gels in with the rest of those drivers.

Bob just sent out an email questionnaire asking whether customers would be interested in another run of the EDP but also development of another IEM which sits to the side of the Opus Mia and below the Semper (that's how I read the email anyway). I think the configuration is Aten+Electrostat+Titanium dynamic... But I can't be sure because I can't go back into the questionnaire after answering.
Capture+_2020-08-12-16-03-08_1.png

This week I have received my Metal Magic Research - Thummim (electrostatic, BA & Dynamic) and their frequency response and soundstage changes depending on the power level and the amplifier topography (impedance) fed into them. They have an unusually large soundstage capability (they make my JH Audio Layla sound small) and I suspect that is related to phase, due to different drivers presenting certain frequencies in different time domains. It seems to be a theme with these sort of high-end hybrids.

Could someone who is playing with their Opus Mia please state whether they notice the frequency response and/or soundstage changing depending on the volume level and/or different output impedances fed into them?
Interesting stuff and a less boutique, more attractive look for IMR's housing.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #79 of 18,121
There is the third 'hidden' option of just happily accepting that nothing is perfect in this impure world and to be
content with the incredible sound :D

Oh absolutely i am with you there and i am being incredibly nit picky here. All i'm saying is there is options.I am content right now with PB One on the Fiio UTWS1 (with angled connectors:stuck_out_tongue:) when my 789 is mere inches away from me.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #80 of 18,121
@SabreToothBunny - Can certainly look into this tomorrow

I thought the questionnaire was for a planar / electrostatic / titanium driver combo - The question for the combo - and I would certainly need to ask this question is what would the relationship be, sonically speaking between the planar and the elecrostat? and would it be worth it? From what I can envision Im not convinced the titanium would bring anything unique or special to the mix. Bit like having 3 different types of cream in a bowl. Im wondering if they all would share a 'too' similar kind of creamy smooth-ness?

If there was anything new in play with the 5th generation Aten driver - Now THAT would excite me. That Aten driver is IMR's real jewel in the crown

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #81 of 18,121
Oh absolutely i am with you there and i am being incredibly nit picky here. All i'm saying is there is options.I am content right now with PB One on the Fiio UTWS1 (with angled connectors:stuck_out_tongue:) when my 789 is mere inches away from me.
Me too - Rest assured, in audio matters we are of one mind x

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #82 of 18,121
Could someone who is playing with their Opus Mia please state whether they notice the frequency response and/or soundstage changing depending on the volume level and/or different output impedances fed into them?
Interesting stuff and a less boutique, more attractive look for IMR's housing.
This is a difficult question to answer as different set ups will sound different and changing volume will bring different frequencies into prominence anyway as you go from lower to higher
Ive gone from Sony NW-WM1a to > [lineout iBasso DX80] - Burson Audio Swing Pre-amp > 02 Objective Headphone amp > LittleDot Mk II tube/SS hybrid amp
The Burson preAmp set up was quite similar to the Sony, although cleaner but noticeably stunning 3d soundstage and clarity
The tube amp set up was warmer and fuller with noticeably less soundstage however, I think the tubes need replacing so...

Having said all that I think I recall someone being a bit disturbed at the RAH because Bob did not [does not?] use any crossover circuitry! They thought that it wasn't possible to have this number of driver working together effectively without crossover tech built in. The proof however is clearly in the pudding!

Im not sure if that helps. Every different combination of devices / amps etc has always given an extraordinary sound that has been 'coloured' to a lesser or greater degree depending on the inherent design, DAC chip etc

End of the day, you really have nothing to worry about - Bob is creating some of THE best implementations of various driver combination IEM on the market
Everything he says on his website, I and others have seen to be true, simply statements of fact. If anything, with the Opus Mia I think he is being a somewhat humble
Whether an individual has the capacity to hear the quality of having, for example, electrostatic and planar drivers in one IEM perhaps depends on the quality or ability of that persons listening. Many people hear but very few people really listen
End of the day you are one of a small but INCREDIBLY lucky group of people to own an IMR IEM

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #83 of 18,121
Thanks for taking the time out to test different sources, it is greatly appreciated and helps immensely

As with all things audio, even though IMR IEMs are highly configurable, personal preferences, music choices and synergy are key to how much value products have to each individual at a subjective level.

From what you describe it seems that the Opus Mia has a good degree of transparency (albeit with the IMR's house sound) and seems to enhance the characteristics of its source, which is exactly what you want at this level.
Whether an individual has the capacity to hear the quality of having, for example, electrostatic and planar drivers in one IEM perhaps depends on the quality or ability of that persons listening. Many people hear but very few people really listen
Absolutely but then listeners are interested in the presentation within their auditory range and this varies immensely not just on individual's anatomy and preference but also choice of music and recording quality eg. VHS looks terrible on HD TVs because you begin to see artifacts, forgiving old SD TVs look better. The same is true with audio given the varying mastering of tracks. The key is choosing the right tool for the job.

I understand exactly what you mean about different volume levels bringing out different frequencies and that's not unexpected. The high subbass response being mentioned in these early Opus Mia impressions is a concern for my preferences but I'll wait to see what the tuning nozzles can manage on the Semper.

What I have specifically experienced with these types of hybrids, where no crossover is used, is that certain drivers have an upper limit to how much power they can handle and thus more power ends up pushing the other drivers in the configuration while a certain frequency range plateaus, not to mention sensitivity will be different for mixed technologies. In my experience it seems to relate to the passive electrostatic drivers and likely due to a limit on how much power their internal driver circuits can handle. They also seem to have a threshold before really driving properly and I am a very low volume listener.

Crossoverless multi driver IEMs aren't unusual but they are uncommon because crossovers give a much easier level of control when tuning as well as control over time domain (which is usually managed by implementing different length voice tubes per driver to ensure that frequencies reach the ear at the same time without phase issues). The few manufacturers who excel at crossoverless multiple drivers is predominantly limited to those who are able to design their own drivers to spec and that's less common (and more expensive) than buying off the shelf. Clearly Bob has significant experience here.

Bob has mentioned to me a few times that he does not like to listen to offerings from other manufacturers (he didn't want to try the headphones I had on me the one time we met in person). I can understand that however the Opus Mia and certainly The Semper are pitching at a very high level, where expected compromises are far less.
Early impressions for the Opus Mia are extremely encouraging. I'm not expecting the Semper to bring much more to the table than the Opus Mia but at £1100 there is promise to rattle the cages of the +£2000 IEMs in users' collections with the potential to be able to tune the Opus Mia/Semper to mimic the strengths of each and save them (or me) carrying around 4 IEMs when I travel (coloured for electronica, accurate for instrumental and voice, wide and resolving for large orchestral, intimate for acoustic etc)... Sort of a Super Head & Shoulders of the IEM world (take two bottles into the shower?!). I really don't like carrying lots of expensive equipment but my love of music far exceeds my fear of personal safety when I travel. The sad thing is that if I am robbed at gunpoint, I won't be able to replace the Semper.

On a side note; with regards to the titanium driver in the questionnaire IEM (yes, what you have quoted for the configuration sounds correct), I can only speculate that it would be a preference to those who are not fans or the treble response of the piezo ceramic driver used in some of IMR's other offerings.

Cheers for your time and information and I'll await the Semper to see what it brings to the table. Potential for something very unique.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #84 of 18,121
. The high subbass response being mentioned in these early Opus Mia impressions is a concern for my preferences but I'll wait to see what the tuning nozzles can manage on the Semper.
Thanks for the reply. You understand a lot more about such things than I do. Really appreciate learning a bit more :)
The sub bass is ONLY present when there is sub bass as part of the mix and is of the finest quality I have ever heard. Sub bass 'quality' is not something I had thought about before as it mostly visceral . . . thats how I enjoy it in the main anyway!

One particular attribute that is amazing about IMR is that Bob is a bass head but you can, [and I do], tune all the IMR's to a reference 'like' or better to say balanced state..and it really works with no sacrifices . In the new leaflet that comes with the Opus there are some suggestions about filter combinations, one of which is 'reference'

They have this magical ability to bring the best of what [seems like was previously hidden] out into the wild

Reminds me very much of the first job that I got in a recording studio and I plugged in my player and heard music for the 1st time through an array of Studio monitors = Blwe my mind!

In terms analogy - It sounds to me like - imagine your favourite album & all the details you know so well...
Imagine then going to a recording studio that is built specifically to suit that band in particular...
Then imagine the sound you would hear in that perfect acoustic environment and the energy and feeling of hearing it all live.
This is what I hear that the Opus Mia is bringing
Sounds like an exaggeration but it isn't ! o_0

I hear what you're saying about using different IEM's. Im not a HUGE fan of music...weirdly But the closer I get to a 'real' sound the more my cookies are baked. I get a lot more pleasure from hearing the type of qualities that something at the level of the Opus Mia bring than just the music itself.
I find also that my auditory wishes and needs change - sometimes I just need that transparency and detail and other times I seem to need a full 'rock and roll' deep bass and mids l
Love it

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #85 of 18,121
In the new leaflet that comes with the Opus there are some suggestions about filter combinations, one of which is 'reference'

Curious about it, would you mind to snap a picture and attach it here, as I guess it'd apply to the Halcyon too.

In terms of sub-bass, I agree it's more present than in the other models (at least the ones I own), but I'd say after the right warmup and with the right configuration (according to your preferences), it's absolutely well controlled and actually gives a sense of space and presence (in lack of better terms) I find unrivaled.

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #86 of 18,121
Curious about it, would you mind to snap a picture and attach it here, as I guess it'd apply to the Halcyon too.

In terms of sub-bass, I agree it's more present than in the other models (at least the ones I own), but I'd say after the right warmup and with the right configuration (according to your preferences), it's absolutely well controlled and actually gives a sense of space and presence (in lack of better terms) I find unrivaled.

IMG_1795.JPGIMG_1794.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #87 of 18,121
Does anyone here actually have the Halcyon and Mia that can do a direct side by side comparison?

My Halcyons are sounding much better after 70 hours of run time. The bass is much more visceral and the mid bass is settling in, sounding much smoother. I'm using the red bottom with green top. The mids have lost the slight veil that was annoyimg me too!

These are a very nice iem and seeing that the Mia is a reshell of the Halcyon. I want to know if there is a significant difference between the two because I'm thinking of buying the Mia!(?)

I've read impression s of the Mia and Rah, but not the Halcyon...

Thanks in advance for your reply!!!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #89 of 18,121
[Insert the sound of crickets chirping here]

I guess we are in for the long haul now with burn in :)
Its weird. All IMR's seem to go through a rough / disappointing sounding stage from 50 -100+ hours stage

Been great though hearing the different implementations of the Rah's Planar versus the Opus's Electrostatic
The planars have a beautifully natural presentation of instruments and drums where as with the right recording the vocals
presented by the electrostatic are sublime in their natural realism :)

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #90 of 18,121
Is it worth changing the title of this thread?
Otherwise people searching for Opus Mia in Google may not see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back