• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #3,151 of 18,124
I don't know. We need an audio engineer to explain please.🙏
Yes, to stiffen but more importantly, the tubes are arranged standing up next to each other. This has a special effect on how the audio is presented but you need a scientist not an audio engineer :)

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #3,153 of 18,124
So, Astra
For this track, the tuning is perfect. But fir engaging genre like EDM, Drum and bass, I need more power.
This version souds most excellent on the EDP+ and Fiio q5s. Wondering how it would on the Astras...(will switch later).

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #3,154 of 18,124
A week in with the knights

ootb they were a bit screeching, bass filters (black / blue/ gray) had to much weight in the bass department, way too muffled, I was settling for gray when I turned my black hole minis stainless steel on and the clarity just remind me that the world had colors on it, went to red/ green. Good but the highs were a bit annoying to my like, red purple … mmm almost there, something wasn’t there

red/ modded blue with Sony’s ex1k tip
Memory foam inside (this is my current filter for my zenith) ALMOST THERE though clarity is there, bass has quite a bit of impact. This must have around 20+/- hours on em, for the size I’m impressed by its capabilities, it has some extreme bass and mids that are detail capable. For the price I consider this a bargain

soundstage is intimate, not the huge things we are used from imr, though it’s not small, im really impressed by this, they are slowly becoming my daily driver. Though im
Trying to keep a rotation with my iems, I rediscovered my Tfz no.3 titanium. Never tried the plastic ones, but the titanium has a mighty rumble with impressive power

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,156 of 18,124
Guess who got mail! Woo Hoo, Elysium is in the house, just about to plug em in for the fist time. Man, these are tiny , seriously, compared to RAH, RED PB1 etc... I'm excited. I'll be sharing impressions shortly.

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #3,157 of 18,124
Does the Elan use a new shell?

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,158 of 18,124
First out of the box impressions
Does the Elan use a new shell?
It's similar to the RAH, Halcyon, PB1 but seems smaller in diameter about the same in width or insertion depth.

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #3,159 of 18,124
First out of the box impressions

It's similar to the RAH, Halcyon, PB1 but seems smaller in diameter about the same in width or insertion depth.

ELAN shell. NOT Elysium.

How is the angle of the nozzles in comparison to the RAH etc.

I also truly thought based on pics that the Elysium etc shells were at least the same size and perhaps slightly larger than Rah etc but slightly more ergonomic.

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #3,160 of 18,124
ELAN shell. NOT Elysium.

How is the angle of the nozzles in comparison to the RAH etc.

I also truly thought based on pics that the Elysium etc shells were at least the same size and perhaps slightly larger than Rah etc but slightly more ergonomic.
oops, sorry...

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,161 of 18,124
Guess who got mail! Woo Hoo, Elysium is in the house, just about to plug em in for the fist time. Man, these are tiny , seriously, compared to RAH, RED PB1 etc... I'm excited. I'll be sharing impressions shortly.
so what are your first impressions? compared to RAH

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #3,162 of 18,124
YES! Happy for ya - after 3 hours, then 12 then 24 expect changes (as Im sure you know!)

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3,163 of 18,124
Glad they finally made it. Enjoy. I'm interested to hear how they compare to the Rah. These remind me of the Rah more than the PB1.
I found mine sounded good out of the box then around 60-70 hours things weren't so good & they came together around 100-120. Now at around 170 I feel bass is getting more prominent & detailed.

They do vocals so well but I realised today harmonies sound perfect too. Also guitars on these are something else.

I have to say that Bob has smashed these new ones out of the park.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #3,164 of 18,124
Yes, to stiffen but more importantly, the tubes are arranged standing up next to each other. This has a special effect on how the audio is presented but you need a scientist not an audio engineer :)
I seem to remember reading about proposed membrane speakers using CNT's, where the membrane isn't actually stiff, and the sound is produced by direct application of an electrical current, which causes the membrane itself to produce sound, as opposed to simply exploiting the stiffness of CNT's to manufacture a conventional stiff driver dome which is driven in the typical way by being suspended in a flexible surround and moving air by being pushed to and fore by a normal voice-coil like a piston.
I guess that current iem CNT drivers are still using the latter? (could be wrong here, I hope I am!)

If membrane CNT drivers are eventually used for sound reproduction then things could get interesting, as it might allow for the production of sound from a thin, flexible film, like planar tech' such as Electrostatic, magnetostatic and magneplanar, but without the interference of bulky magnet arrays or stators between the drive surface and the listener/ear. It would probably be more like NXT distributed mode tech' than current planar drivers, with nothing to block sound distribution.
I imagine that'll likely be exploited to produce high freq' sounds before bass, as bass requires more displacement, but perhaps the 'tubes stacked together like straws' arrangement can be coaxed into making bass too somehow, dunno.

I'm curious what an iem with just bone conduction drivers sounds like?
I know there are plenty of examples of 'skull-phones' like the Aftershokz, which I've heard, and was surprised by, but in-ear might be substantially different. I wonder what freq's Bob's bone drivers cover?
I certainly wouldnt choose the Aftershokz for critical listening, nowhere NEAR enough bass, quite apart from fidelity! But they did surprise me by not being totally unlistenable.

Exciting times for iem driver tech'.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #3,165 of 18,124
They've already begun changing in the first couple of hours - all good. Straight out of the box with Black on Black and IMR stock tips- that distictive IMR bass was all there. I'm not sure who it was, I think @Tiaa , said "Presence" was one his first words of description. Whoever said it, I understand, the vocals are far more present or forward than I've heard. There's nice treble extention but I would describe it as a bit metallic at this stage, not harsh - but even in the first few hours it's either tamed a bit or I brain burned to them. I like them. I did move to Black bottom Blue Top and put the Azla Sednas on them. Listening to a really ecclectic mix of IEM test tracks with everything from Bob Marley's 3 Little Birds and Exodus. Not neccessarily the best recorded album but there is so much going on with percussion, cymbals, shakers - I always tune my ear to the upper right corner to listen to cymbals that can be very far back in the mix, and with the Elysium they are right there, pulled out but not too far forward - I dont have to listen for them, because they are right there. But I noticed that while I was concentrating on the right, I started hearing shakers over on the left side and subtle cymbal strikes I'd never taken notice of before. Impressive because I was intentionally concentration on the right. On Diana Krall's Black Crow - her voice is slightly more forward but buttery smooth and you can hear the whispiness of her breath, Bass Pulls are strong and you can feel the reverb coming from them. I gotta be careful when I say "feel" It's not like I feel anything but the but the depth of the sound is all around as the piano comes in from the sides. I pulled up Zeppelin's Cant Quit You Baby - and that's where I really noticed the most striking difference to the RAH - Song opens with Robert Plant's classic cry and then the Bass and Drums crash in togther behind him - wide and deep - the bass and drum combo - I'm going to try and describe it - it's like a 360 degree pulse of sound pushing into my head from from both left and right and then expanding out from there.
Oh Man! These are going to be specatular! Early hours - but I know planars and I know burn-in and I expect them to go from great out of the box to horrendous mess around 70 hours to nothing short of spectacular by 200, improving further from there.
They are a jump up from the RAH. And I love the RAH

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back