Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 2, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #3,166 of 18,011
I'm curious what an iem with just bone conduction drivers sounds like?
Apparently like listening underwater or as a baby in the womb hears

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,167 of 18,011
Oh Man! These are going to be specatular! Early hours - but I know planars and I know burn-in and I expect them to go from great out of the box to horrendous mess around 70 hours to nothing short of spectacular by 200, improving further from there.
They are a jump up from the RAH. And I love the RAH
As a Rah lover I have come from the future to tell you that you are going to love these. Just hold steady when they start to sound messy & burn them for 2-3 days.

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #3,169 of 18,011
Excellent Customer Service from Bob: I received my BC weeks ago with only the 3.5 cable. And I didn’t even remind him for a top up. But today, I got a parcel with the 4.4 cable. What a guy!

And he got some moonshine brewing in his backyard for us junkies in the coming months....

True, but cables are also available for JH now. For those who do not hear any difference with cables it is a non issue lol. Either way though we offer a solution away from mechanical damping and into the electrical realm. I'm not familiar with your suggestion, is it the same principle as the JH cable but applied differently?
Should be similar, resistive principle. Anyway, he doesn’t need to go into those tech since he has been delivering IEMs exceeding expectations with simplicity using his gifted tuning ears. Maybe the form factor of the shell is where he needs to improve further.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #3,170 of 18,011
BC are no longer on the website !

Bob recently said this

' ...other worldly Astra Ultraque. These are special, VERY special.
...Opus Melius which surpasses the previous Opus Mia by quite some margin"

If your main concern is over bass - The bass on my Opus Mia is phenomenal. You may well end up with te best of both worlds by considering the Opus Melius ?
Yeah the Bass on the Opus Mia is fantastic, i also have the B.C but am having a few tip/seal issues and am waiting on a few different eartips so fingers crossed it will remedy the B.C seal issue? But when i do get a seal on the B.C the Bass is phenomenal! It's faster than Opus Mia with more Texture & Detail and the Mid-bass hits a bit harder. I think the new 6mm CNT A.D.L.C Driver is responsible for this added performance in comparison to Opus Mia! I'm still on the fence regarding the the Astra because im a TOTAL Basshead and a few people have said the bass isn't as good as the Opus Mia which in turn means its not as good as the B.C! I have been eyeing up the ThieAudio Excalibur which has the Sonion Dual EST, 2 Knowls Balanced Armature's and 1 Dynamic Driver. Every review or comments i have read say this is a pure 100% Basshead IEM but is also just as good across all frequencies with Exellent technical abilities .What REALLY Intrested me is that it isn't just the Dynamic Driver that's responsible for the Bass it also uses one of the Balanced Armature driver's to add Clarity and reduce distortion which has not been implemented in any other hybrid iem i am aware of? They also have a very good design with Custom-Like shells which means i could use them out & about without them constantly falling out my ears like my Opus Mia do!
BUT? i would lose the Build quality, tuning capabilities, amazing house sound and phenomenal customer service if i was to go the ThieAudio route AND lose Bone Conduction! Which is the whole reason i am considering another iem due to owning over 20 IEM'S/Headphones including 4 IMR's! BUT?
With all the said I'm 99% positive I'm gonna grab one of the Astra's that just become available and feed my Basshead needs with a set of FOCUS EDM's.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #3,171 of 18,011
Yeah the Bass on the Opus Mia is fantastic, i also have the B.C but am having a few tip/seal issues and am waiting on a few different eartips so fingers crossed it will remedy the B.C seal issue? But when i do get a seal on the B.C the Bass is phenomenal! It's faster than Opus Mia with more Texture & Detail and the Mid-bass hits a bit harder. I think the new 6mm CNT A.D.L.C Driver is responsible for this added performance in comparison to Opus Mia! I'm still on the fence regarding the the Astra because im a TOTAL Basshead and a few people have said the bass isn't as good as the Opus Mia which in turn means its not as good as the B.C! I have been eyeing up the ThieAudio Excalibur which has the Sonion Dual EST, 2 Knowls Balanced Armature's and 1 Dynamic Driver. Every review or comments i have read say this is a pure 100% Basshead IEM but is also just as good across all frequencies with Exellent technical abilities .What REALLY Intrested me is that it isn't just the Dynamic Driver that's responsible for the Bass it also uses one of the Balanced Armature driver's to add Clarity and reduce distortion which has not been implemented in any other hybrid iem i am aware of? They also have a very good design with Custom-Like shells which means i could use them out & about without them constantly falling out my ears like my Opus Mia do!
BUT? i would lose the Build quality, tuning capabilities, amazing house sound and phenomenal customer service if i was to go the ThieAudio route AND lose Bone Conduction! Which is the whole reason i am considering another iem due to owning over 20 IEM'S/Headphones including 4 IMR's! BUT?
With all the said I'm 99% positive I'm gonna grab one of the Astra's that just become available and feed my Basshead needs with a set of FOCUS EDM's.

What are your considerations of the Elan, i feel personally it will be bass biased with the added benefit of bone conduction and should give you the out and about comfort of not falling out.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,172 of 18,011
They've already begun changing in the first couple of hours - all good. Straight out of the box with Black on Black and IMR stock tips- that distictive IMR bass was all there. I'm not sure who it was, I think @Tiaa , said "Presence" was one his first words of description. Whoever said it, I understand, the vocals are far more present or forward than I've heard. There's nice treble extention but I would describe it as a bit metallic at this stage, not harsh - but even in the first few hours it's either tamed a bit or I brain burned to them. I like them. I did move to Black bottom Blue Top and put the Azla Sednas on them. Listening to a really ecclectic mix of IEM test tracks with everything from Bob Marley's 3 Little Birds and Exodus. Not neccessarily the best recorded album but there is so much going on with percussion, cymbals, shakers - I always tune my ear to the upper right corner to listen to cymbals that can be very far back in the mix, and with the Elysium they are right there, pulled out but not too far forward - I dont have to listen for them, because they are right there. But I noticed that while I was concentrating on the right, I started hearing shakers over on the left side and subtle cymbal strikes I'd never taken notice of before. Impressive because I was intentionally concentration on the right. On Diana Krall's Black Crow - her voice is slightly more forward but buttery smooth and you can hear the whispiness of her breath, Bass Pulls are strong and you can feel the reverb coming from them. I gotta be careful when I say "feel" It's not like I feel anything but the but the depth of the sound is all around as the piano comes in from the sides. I pulled up Zeppelin's Cant Quit You Baby - and that's where I really noticed the most striking difference to the RAH - Song opens with Robert Plant's classic cry and then the Bass and Drums crash in togther behind him - wide and deep - the bass and drum combo - I'm going to try and describe it - it's like a 360 degree pulse of sound pushing into my head from from both left and right and then expanding out from there.
Oh Man! These are going to be specatular! Early hours - but I know planars and I know burn-in and I expect them to go from great out of the box to horrendous mess around 70 hours to nothing short of spectacular by 200, improving further from there.
They are a jump up from the RAH. And I love the RAH
Yes, they are very focus on the voices and the details on the low end are remarkable. You can use the xlastec? On my side, I can't use them because the fit doesn't go enough deep and I loose a lot from the BC driver. Normaly I use the stock medium tips on all of my IEM, but with bone conduction, I have to use the smaller to have the deepest insertion.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,173 of 18,011
Excellent Customer Service from Bob: I received my BC weeks ago with only the 3.5 cable. And I didn’t even remind him for a top up. But today, I got a parcel with the 4.4 cable. What a guy!

And he got some moonshine brewing in his backyard for us junkies in the coming months....

Should be similar, resistive principle. Anyway, he doesn’t need to go into those tech since he has been delivering IEMs exceeding expectations with simplicity using his gifted tuning ears. Maybe the form factor of the shell is where he needs to improve further.
If you want a good and brutal iem as a basshead, check out this new ISN EST50

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn...sn-est50-successor-to-the-h40.920551/page-165

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #3,174 of 18,011
Mate, the astra is the EDM one. I am a big basshead too. But astra is a basshead audiophile. It's different than pure bass that overmelth the rest, but I learn to appreciate that tuning. for a few days now they have become more consistent. the instruments, the voices are in perfect balance. the voices are not particularly emphasized. they are more ventilated and have a little more echo than elysium. like an incredible dream. the image is magical, like a journey through the galaxy listening to the stars twinkle. it is more airy and the separation has a good balance between a black background and the explosion of sound. Everything is in its place. I can hear easily the details. the bass is not to be outdone. it seems less heavy than the elysium, but still impact and a balance between weight and perfect clarity. Really good basses and sub basses. currently, I only listen to them. they transport me to a magical universe and give me a lot of emotions. if I had to keep only 1, it would be this one.

I am on blue/red.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #3,175 of 18,011
Mate, the astra is the EDM one. for a few days now they have become more consistent. the instruments, the voices are in perfect balance. the voices are not particularly emphasized. they are more ventilated and have a little more echo than elysium. like an incredible dream. the image is magical, like a journey through the galaxy listening to the stars twinkle. it is more airy and the separation has a good balance between a black background and the explosion of sound. Everything is in its place. I can hear easily the details. the bass is not to be outdone. it seems less heavy than the elysium, but still impact and a balance between weight and perfect clarity. Really good basses and sub basses. currently, I only listen to them. they transport me to a magical universe and give me a lot of emotions. if I had to keep only 1, it would be this one.

I am on blue/red.

What an incredible description, literally my dream IEM.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3,176 of 18,011
I'm still on the fence regarding the the Astra because im a TOTAL Basshead and a few people have said the bass isn't as good as the Opus Mia which in turn means its not as good as the B.C!
The bass on the Astra is crazy good. It is pounding. Initially it is a big cavernous void but when it starts to get filled with detail it is something else. I think Bob's biggest bass which says a lot.

If you are debating between the BC or Astra I say Astra all the way.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,178 of 18,011
If you want a good and brutal iem as a basshead, check out this new ISN EST50

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn...sn-est50-successor-to-the-h40.920551/page-165
Read about it and it’s configuration.
Honestly, I am more to IMR SS nowadays. But if you have some IMR or heard 5V5 or IT07 or Odin, how it flare against these in the bass session or in term of details, texture, rhythm and tempo as in Semper on Red or Blue nozzle do share so I get a better insight as ton of IEMs out there which is crazy to figure out which is desirable unless I demo it.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #3,180 of 18,011
After about 100 h burn-in, the EDP+ are beginning to shine! Better detail and treble extension, deeper sub bass, cleaner midbass and incredible mids with wider soundstage. Wow! Still room for improvement with time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back