• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #3,121 of 18,048
You Lunatic :D

The REAL song 'Royals' by Lorde is an essential track for evaluating Bass - weight, amount, quality etc etc

We all know the "Real" songs are the PMJ ones.

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain

It's time we all reach out
For something new, that means you too

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,122 of 18,048
I know exactly what you mean and I agree to some degree - I think though there is a difference between a 'HiFi music lovers' definition [and needs] of basshead and an 'Audiophile' definition [and needs] of bass. They dont necessarily contradict but maybe you can say one may lean towards more quantity and one towards more quality?

Ive had the same thought popping up the last few days about modding. Ive done a fair bit of headphone modding over the years and technically the same principals should apply here.
One tiny example - trimming the bottom from foam tips to give deeper insertion for the EDP+ Bringing the drivers closer to the eardrum gives more low end

But what Im thinking of is perhaps using some Bass filters Im not going to use and modding by perhaps adding a tiny extra hole or maybe covering up any holes of the less bassy filters
Ive also been thinking about the foam in the treble filters. I have lots of different types of 'studio' foam knocking about. Could be fun :)

Seems like you need something subbass focused low end. Makes it cleaner at least for me. Also good ability separate and layer is a key for bass heavy iems.

Dont underestimate source. Synergy is a massive factor to achieving desired sound.
I went through 4 daps this year alone. And it makes massive difference. For good or bad its everyones own journey.
I completely agree. I find that currently the red or pink nozzle gives very good bass clarity. but they don't have enough power. the black and blue nozzle only darkens and the bass loses its clarity. but I know Bob will achieve it. He improves a lot. and as you say, the source / dap is very important.

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #3,123 of 18,048
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #3,125 of 18,048
You Lunatic :D

The REAL song 'Royals' by Lorde is an essential track for evaluating Bass - weight, amount, quality etc etc
this is a good example for bass. in lord's royals, there is a low counterbass at 0:21 i can distinguish with the fiio fh7. but not with IMR. this is what I'm looking for, a clear, well-defined bass with a little more power.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #3,126 of 18,048
I completely agree. I find that currently the red or pink nozzle gives very good bass clarity. but they don't have enough power. the black and blue nozzle only darkens and the bass loses its clarity. but I know Bob will achieve it. He improves a lot. and as you say, the source / dap is very important.

Im wondering about widening the micro holes on the filters or even drilling a 2nd one would be a very interesting way to tweak this.
Its possible some damping in the filter will also make a good difference
Ive had some unexpected success with bass mods on Headphones sometimes even just using a small piece of felt
In fact its possible even a very thin piece of medicale tape with a pin prick hole in it over the mouth of the shell would potentially make a big change.
Hmmmmm . . . thinks . . .

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #3,129 of 18,048
@Tiaa

How does this work out for you.
JEEBUZ - I think someone just bought a new 'enhanced bass' VST for their Cubase :)

Anyway - What I would like to say is . . .

1a77393f36084748826bf7c4512b5cda.jpg

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #3,131 of 18,048
I know exactly what you mean and I agree to some degree - I think though there is a difference between a 'HiFi music lovers' definition [and needs] of basshead and an 'Audiophile' definition [and needs] of bass. They dont necessarily contradict but maybe you can say one may lean towards more quantity and one towards more quality?
You are right about difference, but I think the mixe with both "audiophile/quality" and "hi-fi/power" is what I am looking for.

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,133 of 18,048
Friday funday and these take the fun in funk and run with it
Nah, keep yer funk - THIS is were its at

This will be me at 5.30 today at the end of work :D

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,134 of 18,048
You are right about difference, but I think the mixe with both "audiophile/quality" and "hi-fi/power" is what I am looking for.
Thinking about it - Bob made a modded filter for me a while back - It had mesh on the bottom [just inside] on the bass filter (as well as mesh on the top treble filter - as normal)

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #3,135 of 18,048
IMO, PB1 on Red nozzle and black filter is the cleanest sounding IMR in my collections without losing its bass definition that a bass head craved for and still maintaining the lush creamy planar midrange. Treble is airy and pretty similar to BC with slightly better energy. Drumming is top dog and it still pleases my old bass loving ears.

Bigger bass coverage, unless Bob introduces x-over. Take this with a grain of salt as suggestion may varies.
Yes, the red has this bass definition. But it lacks power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back