Impulse Buy: Grabbed the HD595 + Total Bithead
Aug 13, 2007 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SLCentral

Head-Fier
So I've been toying with the idea of getting a set of cans to compliment my custom UE-5c's, which I'm currently using unamped. It's been about a year of considering cans, so I finally whipped out the credit card and ordered a pair of HD595's and the Total Bithead last night. Should be getting it tomorrow.

Now I'm worried that my UE-5c's will sound better then the HD595's. Should I be concerned? I went with the Total Bithead mainly because of price, and the fact that it has a DAC built-in, which is great b/c my PC soundcard really suffers.

I listen to light rock, acoustic, classical, jazz, rap, R&B, and electronica. Should I return the HD595's and stick with my UE-5c's? My budget is $400.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 17
right now i'm crossing my fingers i win those 1k$ UE for portable use. In the meantime i still have my HD595's even though i purchased My Denons. i don't have more than 30 minutes using my HD595's with my Airhead, since the Senns worked pretty good unamped. but i'm gonna give it a try with my zune and let you know how it sounds. Can't really compare to a good set of IEM's though.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by almach1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right now i'm crossing my fingers i win those 1k$ UE for portable use. In the meantime i still have my HD595's even though i purchased My Denons. i don't have more than 30 minutes using my HD595's with my Airhead, since the Senns worked pretty good unamped. but i'm gonna give it a try with my zune and let you know how it sounds. Can't really compare to a good set of IEM's though.

So the HD595's won't sound as good as my UE-5c? :/.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 17
Well, I got the 595's today with the Total Bithead, and as of right now, I'm 100% unimpressed. First off, despite what other people think, I found the 595's to be very uncomfortable, and made my ears red after only a few minutes of listening. I do realize that it takes time to get used to them, so these are only initial impressions, but still, it is worrysome.

When it comes to sound quality, I'm also unimpressed. I've been listening for two hours (so I still have a long way to go in terms of burn-in), but so far, it sounds muddy, uninteresting, and very non-detailed. I expected better. I'll obviously give them the full 100 hour burn in, but as of right now, my UE-5c's sound significantly better. In fact, I'm listening to them now, over the 595's. They do cost 3x as much, so I suppose I should have expected this?

That said, I'm very impressed with the Total Bithead. Makes my UE-5c's SING, and really improved the 595's over just a iBook headphone out port.

I'll give them a few days of burn-in, but if things don't improve significantly, they're going back
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm not even slightly surprised by this result. Someone who knows what decent headphones sound like doesn't like the HD595? Join the club. So much for impulse buys. At least the bithead worked out.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 17
dude come on...dont we ALL love impulse buys??

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I got the 595's today with the Total Bithead, and as of right now, I'm 100% unimpressed. First off, despite what other people think, I found the 595's to be very uncomfortable, and made my ears red after only a few minutes of listening. I do realize that it takes time to get used to them, so these are only initial impressions, but still, it is worrysome.

When it comes to sound quality, I'm also unimpressed. I've been listening for two hours (so I still have a long way to go in terms of burn-in), but so far, it sounds muddy, uninteresting, and very non-detailed. I expected better. I'll obviously give them the full 100 hour burn in, but as of right now, my UE-5c's sound significantly better. In fact, I'm listening to them now, over the 595's. They do cost 3x as much, so I suppose I should have expected this?

That said, I'm very impressed with the Total Bithead. Makes my UE-5c's SING, and really improved the 595's over just a iBook headphone out port.

I'll give them a few days of burn-in, but if things don't improve significantly, they're going back
frown.gif

Seems like you are not Sennheiser person. Their laidback and veiled sound mismatches your ears quite a bit. You might get used to it though, so dont forget ear burnin too.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 17
Sennheisers took me a long time to get used to... I never really liked their sound sig compared to others that are more forward sounding.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 17
my 595's are my most listened to headphones. have the 50 Ohm for my portables and the 120 Ohm for my tube amps. Once burned in they both sounded just fantastic.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 17
My HD-595s sounded worse than my burned-in HD-280s out of the box but now they sound awesome. Give them some time.

In fact, for the first week or so I thought they were defective. Now I can't imagine giving them up.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

Your impulse buy was the same one I had a couple months ago. I ended up upgrading to the AKG 701s and HR Microstack. I did think the HD595 was a great set of cans for not needing an amp, but I wasn't satisfied with the sound. Hope you don't get major upgraditis like me
smily_headphones1.gif
. But if you do, the journey is very fun
gs1000.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 17
I've been listening a little more to my 595's, and things are starting to get better, but two things concern me that will not change with no amounts of burn in:

1). Comfort. People say these are the most comfortable can's on the market, but *******, they are fatiguing. Makes my ears warm, red, and uncomfortable, and is hard to listen to for more then just a few songs. Who knows if this will get better over time, but as of right now, I'm not liking it.

2). Leakage. These things literally act like speakers, and people from multiple feet away (in the same room or the next one) can clearly listen to what I'm playing, even at normal listening levels. Not cool. I guess I'm used to my UE-5c's with no leak to speak of.

Sound quality is improving, but still sounds as if there is a veil covering the music. I'm leaving them hooked up to my PC playing pink noise overnight while I enjoy my IEM's, hopefully after a few days they will be significantly better. If not, back to Headroom they go
frown.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 17
1. You have funny ears/head.

2. You can hardly blame the HD595s for that, all fullsize open headphones leak sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back