Impressions on the new Beats Solo HD 2.0 (Drenched in Color)
Mar 29, 2014 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Pass

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I never thought I'd do this in my life. This is my first (kind of) review of any headphones, and it has to be a Beats one! Please note that I was born and raised in French, so be indulgent with my English :wink:

First, let me say that I'm in no way an audiophile. I enjoy my KEF M500, and I just adore my B&O H3. I could say I prefer bright over warm.

The first ever Beats headphones I tried was the Solo HD. They sounded horrible. All that was previously said here about these is veridic. Too much of a bass-boost in a region that don't really need a boost, around 200 to 900 Hz or so. This upper bass fails through the mids, and for the highs, well, they just don't have. Cohesion of the entire frequency range was just a big mess. Lack of clarity and zero definition, even with a "HD" in their name. Et cetera… So, if a normal guy (me!) dislike them, then they must be very bad indeed.

Then, I needed (ok, I just wanted) a new pair of portable, light, easily carrying headphones. Not a Momentum-like portable, since I don't think these Senn are really portable, even if they claim to be. So, while at Futureshop, I passed by the headphones aisles, and I thought I had nothing to loose to give the new Solo HD 2.0 a try, between a lot of other offerings. I also took some time with the new Studio, which I found too piercing/harsh for my taste, even if I prefer bright headphones. They made me feel aggressive. Not for me.

But! When I tried the Solo HD 2.0, I was literally shocked. I still don't know if they sounded really good, or if they just sounded much better than their previous iteration and this is why I "think" that they sounded really good… maybe someone can confirmed this. One thing for sure, they are way better than the original HD. I don't know about burning, they just have less than 10 hours of play, but right out of the box, I was pleased with the sound. Could only be better with time. Bass is still very there, but less present than before, and better rendered. Keep in mind though, that I'm only comparing the old Solo HD with the new Solo HD 2.0. I will always prefer my M500 to them, and I'm sure almost anyone here possesses a pair better than these. But, man, Dr. Dre did make a major improvement with these new Solos. Like they are, soundstage in pretty thin, you have your songs pretty much right in your brain. Maybe a better job with the upper-mids/highs would have helped here. The highs may roll off a little early too. But since I wanted a pair of phones for commute, at work, on the go, I can live with this. The positive thing with this, is that they are non-fatiguing at all. I wore them for 2 or 3 hours now, listening to Cat Stevens and Dire Straits, and I feel as I can continue all night long!

The comfort is sublime. No joke. They are so lightweight, you barely feel them on your head. The ear-pads may be small, but the are like little pillows for your ears. The built quality, fit and finish are good. Far from the likes of M500 or P5 though. This is normal since they are way cheaper than those two (130 and 80$ cheaper respectively (all from their MSRP, here in Canada)). And I like my portable headphones to be lightweight, so yes, they are almost entirely made out of plastic. So I'm good with that too. If I'm not wrong, a lot of companies use plastic on their more-than-entry-level headphones (HD558?).

I always detested the glossy look of the first Solo HD, but now they are finished in matte colors. I've got the black ones, and yes, they look great. I actually understand how a headphones can be "sexy", 'cause they are indeed. This only detail made a huge difference. I don't pretend they are sturdier than before, but the in-hand feeling seems to be reassuring. I'm 32, and I'm sure that with minimal care, these can last a while. Ear-cups make some plasticky sounds (clack/clapping) inside the arms' holes when you manipulate them, but you hear nothing while they are on your ears. Cable is one of the best I've seen: really thick, just as robbery as it needs to be, not too much that it would stick to your clothes. The right-angled plug is perfect for iDevices usage (I can't use my P5 as a portable, since I'm always scared to break the plug when in pockets). Remote is flawless, give good feedback, and don't have any rough angles (again, the P5s' always tends to snag on my shirt). Nonetheless, and despite all I said about them, P5s is a very good home-use headphones :wink:

Finally, I want to note the price. I paid 190 (reg. 220). They are still not cheap. At all! But they fulfilled almost all of my needs. This is the most important thing I think. If someone want to buy them only for the fashion statement, go ahead! If you want them because they represents what you are looking for, go ahead (that's what I did). And if you think they are overpriced for what they are, and/or how they sound, don't go ahead. As simple as this! It's fun though how someone can't justified to pay 200$ on Beats, but are completely willing to spend out over a grand on an elite pair of headphones. Is a thousand dollar headphones worth it? Not for me. But if it is for you, go ahead!

All in all, I'm very happy with my buy. That's what counts. And please, before commenting anything negative, give them a try. Or at least, judge them for what they are : a simple pair of good-looking, and portable headphones.

Can't wait to read others' impressions about these!

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 41
A little update...

These are not that warm after all. They are warmer than, say, the M500 (used for first, direct comparison), but they still are brighter than, say, the P5.

And they're in no way as detailed and/or refined as the Momentum.

Ok, maybe I start to fall off of my cloud (but just a little bit).

ZZ Top is very fun through these: they deliver the impact and dynamics of "Viva Las Vegas" pretty well.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 41
Yes, they are the "Drenched in *color*", all in matte finish. Amazon.ca states the old ones as [Old Version].

Amazon.com offers them 20$ cheaper than Amazon.ca… why must I have to live in Canada?!

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 41
Excellent impressions - I love the beats HD solo monochromatic, drenched in colour range and indeed the new solo2 which is styled like a mini beats Studio 2.0.

Absolutely ideal portable light weight cans that have a great sound. I can't comment on the first beats solo as I've never heard them, though they seem to be where a lot of beats criticism originate from.

The comfort factor on the drenched in colour solo's I find more comfy than the new solo2's which have a more firm clamping force - nothing too excessive at all, just noticeable compared to the latter.

Drenched in colour is exactly as it states - whatever colour you go for it the colour covers every part of the headphone including the ear pads which on the likes of the red and pink colours are amazingly vibrant and live up to the monochromatic tag as does the entire colour range.

Nice choice on the black solo HD's - understated stealth cool
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 41
cb3723 wich would you reccomend for a basshead, the solo drenched or solo 2?

If these are your two choices then the drenched in colour monochromatic have a stronger bass response than the new solo2 which appears to have been purposely pulled back on the bass dept. to what I'd guess is intended for would be to open these cans up to a wider market.

Beats appear to have been fine tuning their new models starting with the new Studio 2.0 (2013 release) headphone by reducing the bass incrementally for this purpose of wider appeal, yet keeping their core bass fan customer base happy.

The new solo2 is probably beats most neutral sound signature out of their entire range to date.

If you get a chance - pop into your nearest Apple store and hear the difference for yourself between the drenched in colour and solo2's - personally I like and own both, but the drenched have the more bass edge :)

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 41
Beats appear to have been fine tuning their new models starting with the new Studio 2.0 (2013 release) headphone by reducing the bass incrementally for this purpose of wider appeal, yet keeping their core bass fan customer base happy.

It seems to me that the big, "monster" bass has left at the same time that Monster had left the partnership with Beats. If all the new models (Drenched, Solo2, Studio2) are better than their previous iterations… maybe the culprit about tuning the sound that horribly was Monster after all.

As for basshead4eva, maybe you should now look elsewhere to find a basshead headphones. Any of the Sony's Extra Bass series (XB) should do the job. Or, stuck with first generation Beats.

By the way, I'm so glad someone finally responded to this post. Thanks!

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 41
Do the solo drenched in color have muddy bass and also how do they stand up to regular wear and tear in the long run ?@cb3723

Bass to my ears is rich and present and not muddy IMO.

As far as regular wear and tear on the long run - I've had no issue with mine whatsoever - from what I can gather beats addressed build issues that were issue with the first incarnation of this model (built by Monster) by adding a steel band to reinforce the headband on the beats made drenched in colour model.

The drenched in colour don't feel as robust as the new solo2 cans but this comes at a price of the new solo2's being heavier and noticeably stronger clamping force which whilst improves passive noise isolation does make them less comfy as the drenched in colour model, so for portability, the drenched in colour model for me is preferred as they are light weight and incredibly comfortable and when not in use just sit around the neck nice and unobtrusively also.

But like I've said - both these models of solo are easily accessible at Apple stores to audition in person to evaluate for yourself personally, which ultimately is always the best way to decide whether or not a can sounds and stacks up for your requirements.

For me, these solo hd drenched in colour are light weight portable can with rich bottom end sound that sound great with most genres of music, particularly what I mostly listen to - EDM and occasional hip hop like Cypress Hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back