Impressions on Shure SE115
Mar 6, 2010 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jjeremycai

100+ Head-Fier
After picking up a pair for $90 from Best Buy, I looked around the forums for a review of the Shure SE115's, but I couldn't find one. So here are my thoughts on them after a week's usage.
Build Quality
To start off, Shure's build quality is fantastic. The cable is solid and flexible and the solid ear tips that are included fit snugly and form a tight seal. You might have heard that the two cables that connect the SE115's together are a nuisance, but the connection is strong and the cables aren't really noticeable nor separable.
Accessories
A carrying bag, three "olive" tips, three gel tips, and an earwax cleaner are included in the package and are quite nice. The "olives" are comfortable, though I'd have to say the Klipsch gels are much more easy on the ears. At least in my case, there isn't really a true medium sized tip included in the package--the two small ones are too small, the medium ones are too big, and the large ones barely fit in my ears.
Noise Isolation
Isolation from the foam tips is amazing. The ambient noise in any room is immediately canceled out after a good seal is formed. Nothing else to add except that one must follow a specific procedure to form the seal. That is, one must pinch the tips together until they are "mushed" up and then stick them in the ears.

Because one is supposed to wear the SE115's over the ear, microphonics are low and the only occasional abrasion I can clearly hear is when the cable rubs against the zipper on my jacket.

And of course, one can't expect amazing sound quality from the bottom of Shure's IEM line, but I was surprised to find that it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Honestly speaking, after I burned them in for 50+ hours, the bass created by the new dynamic driver was quite strong and heavy. I found that listening to hip hop was a pleasant experience, and rock wasn't too bad either. The mids were clear, very analytical, precise, and even harsh at times. The only shortcoming I can find to these aspects is the lack of "life" in the sound. There isn't any inspiration or warmness in the sound, and the soundstage isn't remarkable either. Speaking of which, the soundstage is not as expansive as I would have liked, and while this may take away from the overall realism of the recording, I found that it didn't affect the type music that I listen to most. Regarding the high-range, this is where the SE115's really fall. In this case, the infamous "Shure high-range roll-off" is especially present, and heavily offsets the lopsided ratio of Bass:Mids:Highs to something along the lines of 2:3:1.

All in all, though one may expect to pay a premium for Shure's brand name, the SE115's were quite nice and I don't plan on returning them for a long while unless a situation arises which I would then include in future updates. If you listen to bass-heavy music like me and desire a clear and descriptive mid-range along with it, I'd highly recommend these as a sub-$100 choice. But if you're a classical guy and require a set of headphones that reproduce the highs of music accurately, I'd look elsewhere.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 13
Thanks for your impressions! I wonder how the SE115 compares to other sub-100 dollars, as in these years there are really loads of cheap yet high quality IEMs coming out.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Now this is just my opinion, but I actually prefer the sound of these over my older Klipsch Image S4's. But that's just my preference of the clearer and heavier bass of the SE115's over the muddier but more responsive bass of the S4's

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 13
^ I am not saying they are not good, but just wondering in which position will the SE115 stand if compared to others sub-100 dollars IEMs coming from China.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 13
Bad position. Probably. The bang for buck IEMs like the sound magic, eterna,silver bullet, and Re0 probably win it by a huge mile. I didn't quite like the se115 tbh, actually i also didnt like the se530 :p but thats just me :p

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 13
I had the misfortune of owning the shure se210's and it simply amazes me that in the UK you can pay £120.00 for them on the high street and have a sound that is far far inferior in my opinion to the soundmagic PL30's that can be had for less than £20.00.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkmoon1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the misfortune of owning the shure se210's and it simply amazes me that in the UK you can pay £120.00 for them on the high street and have a sound that is far far inferior in my opinion to the soundmagic PL30's that can be had for less than £20.00.

Is that £20 in the uk or from ordering over seas? To be fair the 210s can be had for around £75 online.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that £20 in the uk or from ordering over seas? To be fair the 210s can be had for around £75 online.

I got mine from an ebay seller for 18.90 delivered, but I've seen them range anywhere between 17.99 and 29.99.
I guess I just took a strong disliking to the shures, I was utterly underwhelmed by the sound and they were really uncomfortable to boot.

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions! I wonder how the SE115 compares to other sub-100 dollars, as in these years there are really loads of cheap yet high quality IEMs coming out.

I have owned the SE115's, and I think that in today's market there are FAR better values to be had in the 50 to 100 dollar range. With spectacular (IMO) IEM's like the RE0 retailing for 79.99 there seems little reason to shell out that much for the SE115's

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 13
I bought a pair of se115's just prior to a recent long vacation, both to use up a gift card I had laying around and to try something new on the trip.  After coming back home, I still like them.  The sound isolation is great (works well on the airplane) and I think the sound quality is fine.  They have a good full balance across the frequency range.  Yes, maybe a bit of a high frequency rolloff but it's not objectionable to me.  They are still pretty 'musical' and I found myself looking forward to using them and could easily listen for several hours.  I used a Sansa Clip player which was a good match to the se115s.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 13
I use them mainly on air and subway travel since they offers SUPERB isolation (even better than the Etymotics I used to own).

The SQ is kind of lacking but that's not what I bought them for
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back