[Impression] SoundMAGIC A10 - Oriental Beauty
May 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #31 of 92

Quote:
They both run a little over 10hrs but neither can ran for very long. The difference is you can get a spare battery for E11, though it is just as easy to use a cellphone backup battery (like the Energizer Xpal) to double A10 battery life. I think E11 should be able to drive DT700 80ohm fine, but that is based on spec and I don't know how well it will be. Bass boost wise, E11 Lv2 is almost equal to A10 in sub-bass, but A10 get a little more mid bass and overall more volume.

I see. In your review you mentioned that the A10 can't compete with the E11 when it comes to output power. Yet on specs both of them are aimed at 16 - 300 ohm headphones. Could you with any certainty say if the soundmagic won't be able to power the dt770's?

Sorry for all the questions.

May 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 92

Quote:
I see. In your review you mentioned that the A10 can't compete with the E11 when it comes to output power. Yet on specs both of them are aimed at 16 - 300 ohm headphones. Could you with any certainty say if the soundmagic won't be able to power the dt770's?

Sorry for all the questions.

Just because they are both rated to be able to use with 16~300ohm headphone doesn't in anyway tell us how much power they compared to each other. I can't in any way tell you how well A10 can or can not drive DT770.

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #33 of 92
I think ClieOS nailed it in his description of the SoundMagic A10 (no surprise there!).  I've had the A10 for a couple of days now, and even tho' I don't have the iBasso T3 or T4 anymore for direct comparison, what I'm noticing is that it is definitely warmer and more "musical" than the T4.  It is a great combo with my HF5 because the main thing such an analytical IEM needs is warmth and musicality.  I can't tell that the additional wamth is taking away any of the HF5 details, but it has toned down the 4-5K hotness of the HF5 just a bit.  The T4 wasn't bad if you want to keep your Ety phones fully analytical -- but the A10 is making me smile more listening to the music!  I also notice a greater sense of space and imaging with the A10 -- I'm hearing space around instruments I hadn't noticed before.

In terms of size, it is the exact width of the Sanza Fuze, almost the same height, and about 1.5 times the thickness of the Fuze, so it is a perfect size match with the Fuze and both of them fit very comfortably together in your hand (I use a Nuforce clear band).

Now, waiting to hear back about a purchase of some Ety ER-4P phones to satisfy my curious itch of HF5 vs ER4!

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #34 of 92
Synergy
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #37 of 92

Quote:
Could you by any chance compare the power they put out? I'm wondering if the A10 can put out power anything close to what the E11 can.

I could not give you all the technical specs but the A10 isn't a power monster like the E11 but also it isn't a slouch. The most I probably take the A10 is 80%, where as for the E11 more like 45%.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #38 of 92

Quote:
I could not give you all the technical specs but the A10 isn't a power monster like the E11 but also it isn't a slouch. The most I probably take the A10 is 80%, where as for the E11 more like 45%.

Are you saying with the A10 you need 80% volume on your player to get a certain volume level, but only 45% volume to get the same volume with the E11?

I know we are talking about the iBasso T3/T4, but on my Fuze + A10 combo, I've had to increase the volume just a little to get the same volume level I was getting with the T4 (I keep the amp volume at about 9/10 and adjust volume on the player).  But the A10 is still 40-50% louder than the Fuze alone -- and WAY clearer and fuller.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #39 of 92
Remember that the max gain on A10 is 8dB, on T3 /T4 is 10dB, and on E11 is 12dB

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #41 of 92

Quote:
Remember that the max gain on A10 is 8dB, on T3 /T4 is 10dB, and on E11 is 12dB

OK -- so the E11 has a good bit more output level.  That's OK because the sound of the A10 is very attractive to me right now. 

But I'm sure that given the affordable price, I will probably pick up an E11 off the FS section of the forum in the next month or so, just to compare the two to see which one I like best.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #42 of 92

Quote:

OK -- so the E11 has a good bit more output level.  That's OK because the sound of the A10 is very attractive to me right now. 

But I'm sure that given the affordable price, I will probably pick up an E11 off the FS section of the forum in the next month or so, just to compare the two to see which one I like best.

They complement each other well. Great budget amps.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #43 of 92

The A10 is a very handy little unit, and much more desirable to pair with my Clip+ than the terribly overrated (yes I know, you get what you pay for) E5. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #45 of 92
Don't know much about HD555, and I am being quite generalized here - Sennheiser house sound (warm, slow, mid focus) won't be something I'll consider to have good synergy with A10. Grado house sound on the other hand is better with A10 synergy wise. However, Grado isn't really that kind of headphone that requires an amp. If there is improvement, it will be mostly from the synergy and bass boost rather than the actual need of amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back