[Impression] FiiO E7 (warning: lot of pics!!!)
Nov 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #182 of 195
Nov 29, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #184 of 195
Mine doesn't look like this

Of course not. The one I have is the easiest edition that use a different front panel design. Only a handful was made for review purpose. The inner is however the same though.

so basically if I get this for my iPod only the amp would work? and the DAC wouldn't work? even with LOD(why would they sell LOD cables for E7 then?)

Yes, only the amp will work.

LOD means 'line-out dock', meaning it is a dock cable that send the line-out signal (which already in analog form) from the iPod to the amp. To utilize external DAC function, you will need iPod to send the un-decoded digital signal to the portable DAC and it will require a special chip to enable that function. The two fully portable DAC that have that chip both cost over $500. So LOD =/= DAC, they are two different things.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #186 of 195

Quote:
Do you know where this can be bought in Switzerland?

Switzerland might not have an FiiO dealer, but you can find a few EU dealers that are will to ship it to Switzerland.

Here: http://www.fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #187 of 195
Received the E7 as a XMas gift.  Just plugged it in and started using it for the first time a couple minutes ago. 

redface.gif
Holy effin s***!  screw me!
redface.gif
  I am literally laughing like idiot right now, with tears of joy running down my face.  Ho-lee-c***!  Thank you to the members of this forum --- if not for you, I may have never found out about this product. 

This basically sums-up my feelings right now:

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #189 of 195
I'm very happy with my E7 though I'm pretty curious about this:
If I plug the E7 in my iPhone using the audio cable I don't seem to get more volume. I need to use the special iPhone cable to get some extra volume. Is that normal? It seems strange since the E7 is an amp and all...

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #190 of 195

Quote:
I'm very happy with my E7 though I'm pretty curious about this:
If I plug the E7 in my iPhone using the audio cable I don't seem to get more volume. I need to use the special iPhone cable to get some extra volume. Is that normal? It seems strange since the E7 is an amp and all...

What do you mean by 'audio cable' and 'special iPhone cable'? Do you mean 3.5mm interconnecting cable and line-out dock (LOD)? At max, E7 only increases the volume by around 4~5dB (3dB is double the Sound Pressure Level). However, it takes human roughly 10dB to perceive a double in listening volume (human hearing are not quite sensitive about SPL change). If you are using a 3.5mm interconnecting cable and do not find the volume to be enough, you need to increase the volume on the iPhone. For LOD, iPhone automatically set it to max so it is not a problem for E7 any more.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #191 of 195

Yes I mean those cables thanks :)

What I'm saying is basically that when I use the 3.5mm interconnecting cable and I max the volume on my iPhone, the volume with or without the E7 (also maxed) is the same. And that seems strange to me because then it doesn't amplify at all..

Quote:
What do you mean by 'audio cable' and 'special iPhone cable'? Do you mean 3.5mm interconnecting cable and line-out dock (LOD)? At max, E7 only increases the volume by around 4~5dB (3dB is double the Sound Pressure Level). However, it takes human roughly 10dB to perceive a double in listening volume (human hearing are not quite sensitive about SPL change). If you are using a 3.5mm interconnecting cable and do not find the volume to be enough, you need to increase the volume on the iPhone. For LOD, iPhone automatically set it to max so it is not a problem for E7 any more.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #192 of 195

Quote:
Yes I mean those cables thanks :)

What I'm saying is basically that when I use the 3.5mm interconnecting cable and I max the volume on my iPhone, the volume with or without the E7 (also maxed) is the same. And that seems strange to me because then it doesn't amplify at all..

You should get the 4~5dB gain in signal, though you might not notice it. In this case, I'll suggest you stick to the LOD. On a less related note, amplifier doesn't always amplify. In fact, a lot of the time they are used to reduce the volume from the source, like in the case when used with line level signal. The other benefits of using amp, such as better current reserve, damping, etc, have nothing to do with increasing the volume, but making the headphone sounds better by giving it more control.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #194 of 195
E17 also has SPDIF input, treble and bass EQ, channels balance adjustment and slightly better SQ. If you are only using it as a desktop DAC / amp like the E10 and none of the other features, then there isn't a lot of point to get the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back