[Impression] Apple Nano 7G + Lightning-to-30pin adapter
Apr 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #91 of 167
So, how does it sound? Not many reviews in here! :p 

I saw someone ask for a comparison between this and the clip+ (I have the sonically identical clip zip). Would you call the 7g audiophile quality?

I've seen that a lot of itouch's have a flat frequency response? That the same case here? 

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #92 of 167
  So, how does it sound? Not many reviews in here! :p 

I saw someone ask for a comparison between this and the clip+ (I have the sonically identical clip zip). Would you call the 7g audiophile quality?

I've seen that a lot of itouch's have a flat frequency response? That the same case here? 

If only you read the first post...

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #94 of 167
... Got a link to those measurements? :) Like, a frequency response graph for the 7g?

I can tell you that it is flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. I can't show you the FR graph anymore as I lost all my all old RMAA measurement result a few months back when my PC crashed, and I can't remeasure it now as it is on loan and I'll only get it back after 2 weeks. If you really want to see it, you'll have to wait till I get it back.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #95 of 167

I can tell you that it is flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. I can't show you the FR graph anymore as I lost all my all old RMAA measurement result a few months back when my PC crashed, and I can't remeasure it now as it is on loan and I'll only get it back after 2 weeks. If you really want to see it, you'll have to wait till I get it back.

I will take your word for it. Thanks! :)

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #96 of 167
Appreciate the update on the volume decrease ClieOS, I won't be changing out my original Nano 7th gen to the new firmware as I like the volume on the headphone out, it works great especially for IEM's and I have noticed when you amp the 7th gen off the lightning dock it sucks the juice out of the thing 3 times faster than if it were just driving medium efficiency phones:frowning2:  As I believe I stated some time back in this thread the 7th gen Nano has one of the best headphone outs of any of the iDevices I've ever owned. I'm also keeping all my iDevices away from iOS7 because I've heard nothing but this sucks and that sucks ever since my wife accidently loaded it up on her iPhone (she said it wreaks havoc on your cloud)!! 

Have you sought out any support from apple about the adapter draining battery?
I did and exchanged my iPod entirely & the single block adapter for the lined dock cable...

with no change whatsoever.

for the cost I might as well just buy an iBasso DX50 ($227 on amazon)
($149 for iPod nano, $49/$39 for adapter, $19 for Fiio adapter)

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #97 of 167
Well I may get myself a DX50 one day but for now I'm just using my 7G via the headphone out whether it's i/ciem's, can's or external speaker and it holds up well under it's own power. Not sure what you found out from Apple about the power drain using the Apple lightning adapter to 30 pin but I'm guessing it has something to do with the lightning connector not being big enough to handle a full on disconnect of the power supply from the device when coupling with an external power source (mind you this is purely speculation on my part as I've not spoken to anyone about facts)
blink.gif
 LOL

The 7G Nano is a very good DAP if you need a slim device which can drive quite a few headphones to nice volumes for a couple 8-10 hour days without a charge. As mentioned before I think the 7G has a nice strong headphone out for an iDevice but does seem to be limited in other areas. Mine has driven my FOXL speaker nicely for 36 holes before and it has also driven my JH13's for over a week on to and fro transit trips in the DC area. I guess what I'm saying is don't feel like it is a waste of money if you can find right applications for the device
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #98 of 167
Well I may get myself a DX50 one day but for now I'm just using my 7G via the headphone out whether it's i/ciem's, can's or external speaker and it holds up well under it's own power. Not sure what you found out from Apple about the power drain using the Apple lightning adapter to 30 pin but I'm guessing it has something to do with the lightning connector not being big enough to handle a full on disconnect of the power supply from the device when coupling with an external power source (mind you this is purely speculation on my part as I've not spoken to anyone about facts):blink:  LOL

The 7G Nano is a very good DAP if you need a slim device which can drive quite a few headphones to nice volumes for a couple 8-10 hour days without a charge. As mentioned before I think the 7G has a nice strong headphone out for an iDevice but does seem to be limited in other areas. Mine has driven my FOXL speaker nicely for 36 holes before and it has also driven my JH13's for over a week on to and fro transit trips in the DC area. I guess what I'm saying is don't feel like it is a waste of money if you can find right applications for the device:wink:  

After reading this I can not wait to get the nano, I checked it out today but held back from purchasing it. I think I will pick it up this weekend. All this from someone who also owns the DX50 which will be shipped back to them this weekend because it keeps freezing( I have owned it for about 7 months). The sound on the DX50 is amazing though so I can't wait for iBasso to send it back fixed.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #99 of 167
Hi, I'm trying to decide if I should keep my nano 7th generation or my cowon iaudio 9+ in terms of sound quality and output power, but I know nothing about technical stuff, what I know for sure is that the cowon iaudio 9+ output power is 30mw left and 30mw right with 16 ohms earphones, but I have no idea what is the output power on the nano 7th generation, can anyone please help on this?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #100 of 167
Hi, I'm trying to decide if I should keep my nano 7th generation or my cowon iaudio 9+ in terms of sound quality and output power, but I know nothing about technical stuff, what I know for sure is that the cowon iaudio 9+ output power is 30mw left and 30mw right with 16 ohms earphones, but I have no idea what is the output power on the nano 7th generation, can anyone please help on this?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Why are you wanting to get rid of one?

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #101 of 167
Thanks a lot in advance!

Why are you wanting to get rid of one?

Because I also have a cowon iaudio 9+ and I think it sounds better, but I'm not sure cause I need better headphones to make this test and the ones I want (Marshall monitor) have 42 ohms and I think that makes the output power on the cowon lower so the volume is also lower, so I need to know if the ipod nano output power is higher than the cowon, and I couldn't find any information about this on the Web.

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #102 of 167
If you read the the initial impressions he was trying out some power hungry headphones with no problems.

And you still Ave not answered why you want to get rid of one, most people here do have more than one dap.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #103 of 167
If you read the the initial impressions he was trying out some power hungry headphones with no problems.

And you still Ave not answered why you want to get rid of one, most people here do have more than one dap.

Yes I know what you mean, the problem is that I can't afford to have more than one dap, so I need to decide which one I will keep and sell the other one, but it's really hard to me... I've been thinking and trying them too much this past few days and I honestly don't know what to do. I believe my brain is burnt out at this point...

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #104 of 167
I've had two Cowon caps and they both had issues with reliability, so with that alone I would go with the apple. Are you just looking for power or sound. I know the BBE can be nice but true un-eq'ed sound is what I look for. I like the size of the Nano as well, I have the iPhone 5s and iPod classic and never have issues with them.

I know you will second guess yourself as soon as you get rid of one, keep which ever one makes you happier when you listen to it.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #105 of 167
I've had two Cowon caps and they both had issues with reliability, so with that alone I would go with the apple. Are you just looking for power or sound. I know the BBE can be nice but true un-eq'ed sound is what I look for. I like the size of the Nano as well, I have the iPhone 5s and iPod classic and never have issues with them.

I know you will second guess yourself as soon as you get rid of one, keep which ever one makes you happier when you listen to it.

I'm looking for sound quality mostly, I know a have a lot of eq settings on the cowon and almost none on the ipod, but I feel the nano is most comfortable and easy to use, while the cowon is less intuitive but almost the same size. It feels fragile compared to the nano but it sounds better to me, which makes my decision harder.
I know apple products are well made and usually they last, I also had ipod nano 4th and 6th generation and never had a problem with them... But I think the sound in this thing is just flat with no details at all, but maybe it's just me..
Thanks anyway with all your help and advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back