[Impression] Apple Nano 7G + Lightning-to-30pin adapter
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 167
You are not actually streaming FLAC though. It is not impossible to stream FLAC on BTv3 if '+HS' is supported, but I almost never see a device that support '+HS' profile.

The fact is, when you send you FLAC file over BT, it goes to the BT chip and it re-compressed the FLAC files with another codec - most commonly SBC, but it can be mp3 or wma up to 320kbps depends on the A2DP profile. Actually even SBC nowadays can do 320kbps as well. There are some misunderstanding that the apt-X used in BT (under A2DP as well) is lossless, which isn't the case. It is called Enhanced apt-X, and still a lossy codec, but it is much less lossy than SBC for sure. The actually lossless version of apt-X is used on pro-audio only as far as I know, but not on BT. While SBC might looks like it have a lot of drawback - a well implemented SBC can actually be good enough to match between mp3 and wma., and well above the listening threshold for compression artifact. Someone actually did some measurement awhile ago (here)

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #17 of 167
These are the specs I found,

Clip Zip:  2.25 by 1.42 by 0.58 inches =  1.8531

Nano 7  3.01  by 1,56 by 0,21 inches =  0.98 volume.

I don't have a Clip+ or Zip anymore but remember them being large players compared with the previous Nano.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #18 of 167
Yes, partially due to the big clip Clip+/Zip have. If you take out the clip (or get a clip case for Nano 7), they should be around the same size. Not exactly the same of course, but about 20% of each other. In any case, I am not complaining :D

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #19 of 167
Quote:
You are not actually streaming FLAC though. It is not impossible to stream FLAC on BTv3 if '+HS' is supported, but I almost never see a device that support '+HS' profile.
The fact is, when you send you FLAC file over BT, it goes to the BT chip and it re-compressed the FLAC files with another codec - most commonly SBC, but it can be mp3 or wma up to 320kbps depends on the A2DP profile. Actually even SBC nowadays can do 320kbps as well. There are some misunderstanding that the apt-X used in BT (under A2DP as well) is lossless, which isn't the case. It is called Enhanced apt-X, and still a lossy codec, but it is much less lossy than SBC for sure. The actually lossless version of apt-X is used on pro-audio only as far as I know, but not on BT. While SBC might looks like it have a lot of drawback - a well implemented SBC can actually be good enough to match between mp3 and wma., and well above the listening threshold for compression artifact. Someone actually did some measurement awhile ago (here)

Yep, also aware of that. Everything I've tried that wasn't Apt-X couldn't stream FLAC without very bad stuttering though. Perhaps the increased bandwidth in BT 3.0/4.0 is what accounts for the difference? The only BT 3.0+ devices I have heard are all also Apt-X, so I can't actually be sure!

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 167
Again, you don't actually stream FLAC, but whatever codec the BT unit re-encoding to. So my guess is the BT unit you are using isn't doing a good job at re-encoding, which isn't that uncommon on older generation of all purpose BT unit. They are not designed with SQ in mind.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 167
ClieOS, I recently bought a 7th gen Nano as well and while making the purchase I bought Apple Lightning to female 30 pin adapter however I have tried plugging both my ALO Bling Bling silver and Fio copper LOD's into the adapter and get zeron signal/volume. Is there a specific LOD being made that works on this adapter? I have read the thread and realize I could run double amp via mini to mini however I have always fond double amping presents unwanted noise in the signal path. Just wanting to know if I'm doing something wrong in my connections or if I require a different LOD or Lightning adapter! THX

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #22 of 167
First, there is no 'unwanted noise' when you double amp the Nano 7 - I have measured both LO and headphone-out with RMAA, the noise level is roughly equal on both.

Second, you need to make sure whatever LOD you are using is compatible to iPhone 3G or Nano 4G, or later (basically, any iDevice since 2008).

Third, as said, the Lightning adapter must be from Apple. fake or clone Lightning adapter won't work.

Forth, any compatible LOD will work with the real Lightning adapter.

Try this: Plug in your headphone to the Nano 7, then the Lightning adapter. If the music isn't playing, play it now - you shouldn't heard any sound from the headphone as the output is default to the Lightning adapter. If you still heard music on headphone, then the problem is likely on the Lightning adapter (*If you are using the dock adapter instead of the cable adapter, you need to make sure you are not using a case on Nano 7 as a case will prevent Lightning connector goes deep enough to make contact with the pins inside).

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 167

Appreciate your breaking this down for me ClieOS, I'm now thinking my current LOD"s are pre 2008 (older generation lod's)!

I'm going to purchase a later generation LOD today and seee if it works with my Apple Lightning/30 Pin adapter I bought from Apple when I purchased the Nano.

I have several mini to mini cables laying around so I'll try your double amped mini connection as well and see how it sounds. I have read so many blogs in the past that amping an amped signal just puts un-needed noise in the signal path but it sounds like you have debunked that notion.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #24 of 167
Hi ClieOS, is it good idea to pair iPod nano 7 directly with RE272 ? ... 
dt880smile.png

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #25 of 167
Hi ClieOS, is it good idea to pair iPod nano 7 directly with RE272 ? ... :dt880smile:

Why not.? RE272 isn't hard to drive at all.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #26 of 167
ClieOS, I did your test expeeriment with my Nano headphone out and once I placed the Apple Lightning/30 pin adapter into the Nano I lost headphone signal. I am going to order the FiiO L-3 from Head Direct to solve my signal problem, I'm pretty sure my older LOD's are pre 2008 and my problem with getting that signal through the lightning adapter. Appreciate your help and knowledge on this.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #27 of 167
Quote:
ClieOS, I did your test expeeriment with my Nano headphone out and once I placed the Apple Lightning/30 pin adapter into the Nano I lost headphone signal. I am going to order the FiiO L-3 from Head Direct to solve my signal problem, I'm pretty sure my older LOD's are pre 2008 and my problem with getting that signal through the lightning adapter. Appreciate your help and knowledge on this.

Yep, that means the Lightning adapter is doing its job, therefore the problem must lies in the LOD.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 167
ClieOS, just wanted to report back in and say the $9.99 FiiO L3 works perfect on the Apple Lightning to 30 Pin adapter and we are rockin'. Appreciate your help and knowledge on this
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back