[Impression] Apple Nano 7G + Lightning-to-30pin adapter
Dec 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #32 of 167
Quote:
Hi, David here. 

Had long experimented using the lightning/30pins adapter.

iTouch (5th gen) > adapter > L3/L9 > E11 > SE535

The hiss is highly audible when compared with:

iTouch (4th gen) > L3/L9 > E11 > SE535

Have you got the same hiss with iTouch 5G headphone-out > E11 > SE535?

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #34 of 167
Then the hiss is likely from E11.

SE535, AFAIK is very hiss prone, just like SE530. If I have to guess, I'll say it is likely because iTouch 4G line-out is higher than iTouch 5G (with or w/o adapter), so you use lesser volume on E11 when paired with iTouch 4G and therefore making the hiss less pronounced. The other possibility includes iTouch 5G's wifi interfere much more on E11 or iTouch 5G having a lot more hiss, but both seems less likely than the first reason.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #35 of 167
@clieOS Could you post the RMAAs of the lightning adapter and the hpo used as line out?

I listen a lot of music on iPod speaker docks and I'm concerned that the sq in that scenario could degrade if i use a Touch 5 instead of my iPod Classic or iPhone 4S.

Thanks a lot

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #36 of 167
I don't want to post the RMAA result directly because they can be misleading for those who like to jump to conclusion using graph and don't understand RMAA limitation as a tool, especially the fact that you can't compare RMAA measured on different run / PC / gears.

Anyway, these are the result between two Lightning-to-30pins adapters (genuine, directly from Apple) and the headphone-out (match to line-level voltage).

Lightningcomparsion.jpg

From left: Lightning adapter cable version, Lightning adapter dock version and headphone-out

Note, you can't see the multitone FR because this measurement was done on an old version of RMAA and those result don't display on the new RMAA version I just installed. However, all three show the same flat 20Hz to 20kHz just so you know (as you can see on the swept sine result)

As you can see, the only significant difference is on the crosstalk and headphone-out is actually better.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #37 of 167
Thanks a lot for such a prompt answer.

It seems that the adapter line out is certainly weaker than previous idevices built in line out. It might be good enough though.

Check the iPod Classic 7G line out rmaa (Taken by an hydrogen audio nice folk on a EU 7G):

Frequency response +0.02, -0.01 Excellent
Noise level, dB (A) -92.6 Very good
Dynamic range, dB (A) 92.5 Very good
THD, % 0.0036 Very good
THD + Noise, dB (A) -83.3 Good
IMD + Noise, % 0.0086 Very good
Stereo crosstalk, dB -87.6 Excellent
IMD at 10 kHz, % 0.0081 Very good
General performance Very good

What's your subjective assessment of the adapter line out sound?

Thanks again

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #38 of 167
Quote:
Thanks a lot for such a prompt answer.

It seems that the adapter line out is certainly weaker than previous idevices built in line out. It might be good enough though.

The LO is actually better than the Nano 4G's LO. I really won't call it weak as it is pretty clean on its own. But then again, the headphone-out is really good as well. It might very well be one of the best sounding Nano yet. On hindsight it might seem not worth it for many - as I have said, it is about the same level as Fuze or Clip which can be obtained for much cheaper price. But there are some very attractive features on the Nano 7 such as touch screen and bluetooth which I do use and so it is all down to whether you'll use those features or not. For the most parts I don't feel like I overpaid for it. It is sleek, has good sound and all the little things I want. However, as far as the adapter goes - I don't feel like there is the need for one unless you have some old 30 pins dock accessories. If it is only intended for LO to an amp, I'll call it a waste.

RMAA from different source are uncompared because once the test condition changes, result will change as well.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #39 of 167
Just got the Lightning adapter for my new Touch 5G.

Subjective comparison adapter lo vs hpo double amping to follow both with a Logitech S715 speaker dock and with an iBasso T3 feeding a pair of Westone UM3x.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #40 of 167
Listening back and forth to my logitech S715 with the same files on an iPhone 4S and a Touch 5+adapter i failed to spot any serious audible difference.

Both setups sounded full and clear. I guess the own speaker mechanical shortcomings mask any difference between the adapter lo and the iphone 4A built in one.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #41 of 167
For iem amping the story has been different in my experience.

iPod Touch 5 + Lightning Adapter LO + iBasso T3 + UM3x sounded better than iPod Touch 5 HPO + iBasso T3 + UM3x

In the double amping scenario the clarity felt degraded to me. Spaces were a bit more blurred than when amping the Lightning LO. It still sounded very good tough.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #42 of 167
Guys...I have the Touch 5G (64GB), FiiO E11 and the V-MODA M-100. 90% of my music collection is AAC 256vbr and the rest is Lame 320 and WAV.

Do you think is really worth it to spend the $40+ on the 30-pin adaptor and LOD or just go HPO?

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #45 of 167
Quote:
how do you amp through line out? i tried the 30 pin adapter for itouch 5g but it doesnt work. No sound comes out

You will have to use the genuine Apple Lightning-to-30pins adapter to have line-out. Cheap LOD just doesn't have the required MFi chip or DAC inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back