[Impression] Apple Nano 7G + Lightning-to-30pin adapter
Dec 15, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #151 of 167
  I have been using the iPod Nano w/ the Apple lightning to 30 adapter (DAC inside) to a 30 pin to RCA in w/o any issues. I am up to date on the latest firmware and still get even the "This Device is not compatable" dialog box. Doesn't seem to matter and palys OK.

If I wanted to add another DAC (other than the DAC built inside the Apple Lightning to 30 pin) would I then use a Lightning to 'X' connector at DAC then out of the DAC to a RCA R/L cable and into amp line level?

First, you need to use a MFi (*Made For iDevice) certified DAC that support the iPod Nano (*this is important as some MFi certified DAC only support iPhone / iTouch, but not iPod Nano or iPod Classic). Secondly, you only need a normal Lightning-to-USB cable - yes, the same kind of charge-and-sync cable that comes as stock cable with every iPod Nano. You can use the stock cable if you want, but I think most people will prefer a shorten one. The good news is, just about every MFi certified DAC should already comes with such a free shorten cable inside the box, thus you don't really need to buy a new cable.

In sum - there is no one magical cable that will let your iPod Nano works with every DAC. Only selected DAC that have MFi for iPod Nano will work, and they are usually not cheap. My recommendation, which I think will give you some of the best bang for your buck, is the OPPO HA-2 (and the newer HA-2SE). There are however much more expensive option out there for you to choose from.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #152 of 167
Thanks as always, ClieOS!

I was thinking of trying a cheap-o Dragonfly DAC but that will not work with the 7th gen Nano IOS only devices. I will stay with what I have for now. It really doesn't sound bad with the DAC in the Apple 30 pin to Lightning, just looking for a cheap upgrade and thought a $100-$200 DAC might be something to try.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #153 of 167
  Thanks as always, ClieOS!

I was thinking of trying a cheap-o Dragonfly DAC but that will not work with the 7th gen Nano IOS only devices. I will stay with what I have for now. It really doesn't sound bad with the DAC in the Apple 30 pin to Lightning, just looking for a cheap upgrade and thought a $100-$200 DAC might be something to try.

Absolutely, I've always found @ClieOS 's advice second to none especially with this device. IMO Apple dedicated DAP devices have excellent audio playback and like Clie I'm also always EQ off
wink_face.gif
As said one can use external DAC's with the 7G but for me it defeats the purpose if having the slim portable pocket DAP that really with good files sounds awesome but to each their own
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #154 of 167

First, you need to use a MFi (*Made For iDevice) certified DAC that support the iPod Nano (*this is important as some MFi certified DAC only support iPhone / iTouch, but not iPod Nano or iPod Classic). Secondly, you only need a normal Lightning-to-USB cable - yes, the same kind of charge-and-sync cable that comes as stock cable with every iPod Nano. You can use the stock cable if you want, but I think most people will prefer a shorten one. The good news is, just about every MFi certified DAC should already comes with such a free shorten cable inside the box, thus you don't really need to buy a new cable.

In sum - there is no one magical cable that will let your iPod Nano works with every DAC. Only selected DAC that have MFi for iPod Nano will work, and they are usually not cheap. My recommendation, which I think will give you some of the best bang for your buck, is the OPPO HA-2 (and the newer HA-2SE). There are however much more expensive option out there for you to choose from.

ClieOS:

So I could use the standard Lightning to USB cable from the iPod Nano......into the Oppo HA-2 (or other MFi DAC) then use this as a DAC / amp combo. Could I then take the line out from the HA-2 and go into my tube amp with RCA inputs if I want that tube sound while utilizing the better DAC from the Oppo HA-2?

What I think I am looking for is a better resolving DAC than the Wolfson in the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. The Oppo, with Sabre DAC is no slouch in detail!

Another option is an entirely different device, perhaps a DAP like the new Fiio X5 gen 3 you are playing with! It would have new 2, AK4490 DACs and better battery life but would not (???) be as easy to load my music from iTunes as the Ipod Nano...........I am enjoying following your posts on the X5iii.

I tend to keep devices longer than the average guy and want to go down the right road with either adding a DAC or going to a DAP.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #155 of 167

ClieOS:

So I could use the standard Lightning to USB cable from the iPod Nano......into the Oppo HA-2 (or other MFi DAC) then use this as a DAC / amp combo. Could I then take the line out from the HA-2 and go into my tube amp with RCA inputs if I want that tube sound while utilizing the better DAC from the Oppo HA-2?

What I think I am looking for is a better resolving DAC than the Wolfson in the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. The Oppo, with Sabre DAC is no slouch in detail!

Another option is an entirely different device, perhaps a DAP like the new Fiio X5 gen 3 you are playing with! It would have new 2, AK4490 DACs and better battery life but would not (???) be as easy to load my music from iTunes as the Ipod Nano...........I am enjoying following your posts on the X5iii.

I tend to keep devices longer than the average guy and want to go down the right road with either adding a DAC or going to a DAP.

Yes, you can.

Yep, I see your issue there - hence why I never invest heavily into the whole Apple ecosystem because I know I'll never stick to their stuff for very long.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #156 of 167

Yes, you can.

Yep, I see your issue there - hence why I never invest heavily into the whole Apple ecosystem because I know I'll never stick to their stuff for very long.

What,in your opinion ClieOS, is the better route sound wise and long term.:

A new Oppo HA-2ES for $300 to go with the modest iPod...... or the new $400 Fiio X5iii (assuming it lives up to it's hype) or another mid level DAP.

I do like the convenience of using iTunes to move music and art work over to the iPod Nano where a new DAP may not be as smooth a move.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #157 of 167

What,in your opinion ClieOS, is the better route sound wise and long term.:

A new Oppo HA-2ES for $300 to go with the modest iPod...... or the new $400 Fiio X5iii (assuming it lives up to it's hype) or another mid level DAP.

I do like the convenience of using iTunes to move music and art work over to the iPod Nano where a new DAP may not be as smooth a move.

I think an iPod digitally feeding a HA-2 can rival most upper mid level DAP. Sure, there will be difference in sound signature, but not so much in overall quality. That being said, I think an iPod + HA-2 can standup to X5III, not necessarily better or worst in absolute terms, but of the same level of quality in overall sound. To me, if I can only keep one, I'll probably go with X5III. It has more features that I'll like to have and I don't have to bring two pieces of hardware around. Besides, I already said that I am not that tied into the whole Apple ecosystem, so moving away from iPod is pretty easy. Google service on the hand is more useful for me, and thus X5III is going to serve me better.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #158 of 167
Woot, Woot let's hear it for the Pods
beerchug.gif

The HA-2 makes a lot of DAP's sound better really but IMO they do bring the iDevice to a new level
blink.gif
THX @ClieOS

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #159 of 167

I think an iPod digitally feeding a HA-2 can rival most upper mid level DAP. Sure, there will be difference in sound signature, but not so much in overall quality. That being said, I think an iPod + HA-2 can standup to X5III, not necessarily better or worst in absolute terms, but of the same level of quality in overall sound. To me, if I can only keep one, I'll probably go with X5III. It has more features that I'll like to have and I don't have to bring two pieces of hardware around. Besides, I already said that I am not that tied into the whole Apple ecosystem, so moving away from iPod is pretty easy. Google service on the hand is more useful for me, and thus X5III is going to serve me better.

I appreciate this advice as you have actually used the iPod Nano and Oppo HA-2 combination.

Thanks again, ClieOS, for your help!!!

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #160 of 167

I received the Oppo HA-2SE today and had a couple of hours tonight to listen. I found way more detail than the Wolfson DAC built into the Apple OEM 30 pin to lightning cable! I have had the feeling that I wasn't hearing all the detail that was available. The HA-2SE alone, or with line out to a tube amp, were both a very nice step up for me in SQ.

I am now very pleased with the sound of the modest iPod Nano / HA-2SE combo.

Again...........................many thanks to ClieOS for your review of the HA-2 and encouraging me to pair it with the iPod Nano!!!

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #161 of 167
I have 2 iPod Nano 7G's with almost the same amount of music and almost identical songs loaded. 1 is mine and the other belongs to my wife. I have 667 songs on my iPod she has 672.

Both have a listed capacity of 14.7GB. With the music loaded my iPod says I have only 2.5 GB available. My wife's iPod says she has 9.5 GB left. We bought her iPod new from Apple and I bought my used.

From the stated range of songs that should fit on a 16 GB iPod Nano (2-4,000) , her usable storage seem in line with 672 songs and my storage seems off with 667 songs loaded.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #162 of 167
  I have 2 iPod Nano 7G's with almost the same amount of music and almost identical songs loaded. 1 is mine and the other belongs to my wife. I have 667 songs on my iPod she has 672.

Both have a listed capacity of 14.7GB. With the music loaded my iPod says I have only 2.5 GB available. My wife's iPod says she has 9.5 GB left. We bought her iPod new from Apple and I bought my used.

From the stated range of songs that should fit on a 16 GB iPod Nano (2-4,000) , her usable storage seem in line with 672 songs and my storage seems off with 667 songs loaded.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

A  possibility is that there is corrupted memory section in your iPod. Try using iTune to wipe the iPod clean and reset it back to factory setting. If that doesn't help, likely the memory corruption is permanent.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #164 of 167

A  possibility is that there is corrupted memory section in your iPod. Try using iTune to wipe the iPod clean and reset it back to factory setting. If that doesn't help, likely the memory corruption is permanent.

Factory Reset and began adding music. I think it indeed is a permanent memory corruption issue.
If it doesn't get worse, I will continue using it but w/o much more room to add new music. All other functions seem to work normally at this point.

May 29, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #165 of 167
Would the Topping NX4 work with the iPod Nano as an external dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back