Important question about Amp's
Feb 7, 2014 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Stanfoo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I am using a wireless headphone (RS180) to watch TV with. When I increase the volume to a high level via my headphones' built in volume adjuster, I can hear a white noise/static sound.

I cannot increase the volume from the sound source itself (TV) because the headphones' base transmitter is connected to the TV through the TV's optical out. Turning up the volume via the remote does not change the headphones' audio.

So the only way to increase my headphones' audio is with an amp. Now the question is, would using the amp to increase the audio make my headphones have the white noise/static sound? Or is using the amp to increase the volume the same as increasing the volume via the source, and thus would not produce the static sound?

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 4
Are you sure you are using an Sennheiser RS180? As far as I know, that model doesn't have a DAC inside nor can receive an optical signal. If it is RS180, then your TV's optical-out must have doubled as line-out as well.

Anyway, there is a loudness switch on the back of the transmitter, make sure it is on '0dB' instead of '-8dB'.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 4
  Are you sure you are using an Sennheiser RS180? As far as I know, that model doesn't have a DAC inside nor can receive an optical signal. If it is RS180, then your TV's optical-out must have doubled as line-out as well.

Anyway, there is a loudness switch on the back of the transmitter, make sure it is on '0dB' instead of '-8dB'.

Yes it is the Sennheiser RS180. I am also using an Audioengine D1 as the DAC.

I've the attenuator at 0dB but it is still not enough volume.

Do you happen to know the answer to my last question?

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 4

Yes it is the Sennheiser RS180. I am also using an Audioengine D1 as the DAC.

I've the attenuator at 0dB but it is still not enough volume.

Do you happen to know the answer to my last question?

I don't have RS180, but I know D1 outputs 2Vrms max so it should be plenty loud feeding into your RS180 transmitter (try adjusting the volume on D1 and see if it helps). So either it is the SPDIF signal from the TV is attenuated in the digital domain or the RS180 itself is the limiting factor. Either ways doesn't look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back