iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #331 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of right now my im716's are listed in the FS forums, but I always wanted to get them modded. Sadly I have nothing in the way of experience to do this myself. Would anyone be interested in doing it for me for about $20?

There is another little issue with my phones as well, my cat partially bit through the cable above the y-split on the right side. The phones work intermittently, but I'd love to have this fixed as well. I don't know if it can be fixed with some soldering, but I have some extra iBuds that I could sacrifice for this purpose.

If anyone is up to the challenge, please PM me and we can work something out.

Thanks, CK

PM -=Germania=- and I'd bet she'd like a shot at making them work for you.

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #332 of 352
My im716's arrived today and I do prefer them to my ER6i's! Woo! And at only $55USD too which is cheaper than what I payed for the ER6i's
biggrin.gif

Anyway I think I'll be doing the podectomy. It all seems fairly simple except for one thing: Where does the resistor go? In the picture in the first post there's two resistors... Do I get two 47 ohms or what?

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #334 of 352
Ah right. I only got one 47 ohm lieing around so I'll need to go resistor shopping
wink.gif

Also, I don't have heatshrink so can I just use electrical tape instead?

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #336 of 352
Sorry to bump such an old thread..

I just did the podectomy and there's now a lot of hiss. I ordered 1/4w 47.5ohm resistors, will they fix it, or is the hiss caused by crappy soldering/wrapping? Will the resistors tone down the volume as well?

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #337 of 352
If you don't use any resistors you've got a 5 ohm impedance headphone and it WILL hiss. The podectomy is ONLY intended for putting in better resistors than the ones in the original pod. Yes, 47 ohm will tone down the hiss and the playback volume.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #338 of 352
The hiss is usually a result of really low impedances which cranks up sensitivity. I'm assuming you didn't add the resistors when you first did the mod? In which case, yes, those will reduce the hissing as well as volume. But that's the trade-off.

Edit: damn, I'm way too slow.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #339 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't use any resistors you've got a 5 ohm impedance headphone and it WILL hiss. The podectomy is ONLY intended for putting in better resistors than the ones in the original pod. Yes, 47 ohm will tone down the hiss and the playback volume.

Cool, thanks. I did the podectomy without planning ahead because I thought the phones were toasted and I wanted to see if it would fix them (turns out I'm an idiot and it was just a plugged filter...)

Oh well, I didn't like the pod anyway and I enjoy burning myself with a soldering iron, so it's not a total loss.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #340 of 352
Well I made an attempt at doing the podectomy with no resistors, since the cable was tearing at the pod region anyway.

Problem is I'm getting no sound. The soldering isn't great, but the channels are clearly isolated, and when I put pressure on the soldering for either the left/right channel red/green wires I can make out very quiet audio. Would that be a good indication the gold ground wires are soldered badly, or is it something else?

EDIT - Nevermind fixed it, both left and right were badly soldered. WOW it hisses a fair bit now but it sounds noticeably warmer, upfront, bassier, but probably marginally less articulate. Wait actually no scrap that, it sounds very similar to the bass switch on the original pod, maybe a bit better all around. One good thing it does is totally get rid of the need for an amp. Everything sounds upfront already.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #341 of 352
I am planning on doing the mod, but am unsure about what value resistors to use. I use a sansa express and plan on either buying a portable amp for it or buying a fuze or a D2.

I listen to a lot of talk radio as well as metal and alt/indie rock. I prefer mid and high clarity of thundering bass.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #342 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by transposon812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning on doing the mod, but am unsure about what value resistors to use. I use a sansa express and plan on either buying a portable amp for it or buying a fuze or a D2.

I listen to a lot of talk radio as well as metal and alt/indie rock. I prefer mid and high clarity of thundering bass.

Did you mean you "prefer mid and high clarity instead of thundering bass" ?

Then pick 47 ohm resistors.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #344 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by transposon812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah I meant I prefer mids and highs to bass. I thought the higher the resistance the better mids and highs. Wouldn't 68 Ohm resistors be better?

I think 47 is a good detailed balance, without being too hard to drive. I have heard 22, 33, 47, 55, 69, 80 and 102 and the higher you go the harder they are to properly drive as well. With anything above 33 ohm you will need an amp, IMHO.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #345 of 352
So I've tossed my iM716's cable entirely, and am in the process of replacing it with one from a generic pair of 'phones.

The connections at the earbuds are done, now I'm about to solder the wire to the jack, which is where I intend to put the resistors.

And here is my question: do the stock, podded iM716 have resistance in series in the non-bass-boosted setting?
Or, to put it in other words: does the audio quality change inbetween non-bass-boosted stock iM716 and no-added-resistors, direct-connection modified ones?

I'm trying to get the most neutral reproduction I can; all my players have equalizers built-in, so if I find I need more bass I can always do it from there instead of adding resistors. But if the 'phones actually lose high tones after the podectomy and with no resistors added, then I'll add them.

Hope that made sense. :p

Edit: well, I tried 47 ohm resistors as stated earlier in the thread, and the result can only be described as "yuck". Volume is way down, no bass to speak of.
Next I'll try direct connection. Then I'll go for something inbetween...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back