iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Oct 24, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #31 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
I'd be obliged to do so. I reposted it in the thread, with some revisions. I also added a few things that may improve on the method in my earlier post.

Thanks Bro!

I already took a look. Easy, logical ideas. A nice contribution to methodology.

Glad the new foamies are working for you.

I've got 3 pair of MAX plugs in the freezer at the moment. I'm gonna try your 'text-book' method on the next set.

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #32 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Thanks Bro!

I already took a look. Easy, logical ideas. A nice contribution to methodology.

Glad the new foamies are working for you.

I've got 3 pair of MAX plugs in the freezer at the moment. I'm gonna try your 'text-book' method on the next set.

No Problem. Let me know how it goes!

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #33 of 352
OK, I've had a few days with the 68-Ohm resistors in (total DC impedance ~72-Ohms).

I really liked the 47-Ohms in-line. They were a very nice compromise between, what I remember, the HD and Bass modes of the original podded version. Seemed to have the best of both worlds, and then some.

The old HD mode was problematic for me. Simple, well recorded music sounded very good. However, bass appeared compromised for the upper register presence. Importantly, complex music could get a bit congested, sometimes bordering on harsh, edgy, and fatiguing, especially if the recording was not up to snuff.

But hey, poorly recorded music shouldn’t sound good, should it? Besides, that’s what the Bass mode was for.

I was expecting the 68-Ohm resistors to mirror the sound of the HD mode of the pod, which was 68 Ohms. I was pleasantly surprised. Complex music was more refined than with the pod, and very surprisingly, the bass was not depleted, as I remember it was in the HD mode. It was still deep and full, even though the balance was shifted slightly to the upper registers, IMHO, with the higher impedance (72 vs 51 Ohms, ie, with the 68 vs 47 Ohm resistors, respectively). But as any card carrying Ety-olic will tell you, it is an addictive sound sig. Especially with some bottom-end bringing up the rear. Bootylicious as large cans? Well, no. But no one's gonna call these anemic by any means.

Bad recordings were more obvious than with the 47-Ohm resistors, but still more tolerable than with the HD mode of the pod. Remember, these are impressions from memory and a lot of listening, not side-by-side comparisons. But I feel them to be conservative.

Think I’m gonna keep these in a while longer.

Maybe 100-Ohms next?

Hmmmmmmmmm………….

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #34 of 352
Yes! Let's see what the iM716's sound like at the same impedance of the ER-4S's (pod removed, of course)!

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #35 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
Yes! Let's see what the iM716's sound like at the same impedance of the ER-4S's (pod removed, of course)!

Yup vYu, the thought has crossed my mind. Often.

However, I think, like the ER4S, 100 Ohms would be better suited to use with a real hi-fi setup, or at least with an amp. Being a poor ampless Head-Fi'er, and not wishing to carry my hi-fi wherever I roam, I may leave this for others. In fact, I would suggest if your primary use is with Hi-Fi, or amped, 100 Ohm resistors might be a very good starting point.

The bass deficient iPod as a stand alone should not be a particularly good match for these phones @ 104 Ohms total DC impedance.

But, then again, I haven't tried it yet.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #36 of 352
Quote:

Yup vYu, the thought has crossed my mind. Often.

However, I think, like the ER4S, 100 Ohms would be better suited to use with a real hi-fi setup, or at least with an amp. Being a poor ampless Head-Fi'er, and not wishing to carry my hi-fi wherever I roam, I may leave this for others. In fact, I would suggest if your primary use is with Hi-Fi, or amped, 100 Ohm resistors might be a very good starting point.

The bass deficient iPod as a stand alone should not be a particularly good match for these phones @ 104 Ohms total DC impedance.

But, then again, I haven't tried it yet.
wink.gif

Time to get an amp!
biggrin.gif
You know you're just itching to get one.

Maybe the next time you to to a head-fi meet, you can bring in your iM716's at the ER-4S's impedance, and test them out on the amps.

Nov 7, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #37 of 352
Thanks JSatch for pushing this one... I finally just got the heat shrink and the 33 and 47 ohm resisters and made it happen. No doubt, a BIG difference, I found the 33's to suit my taste so just wrapped it all up. Its much easier to handle the bundle now, that POD had to go, as I just want one signature and vol controlled from the IPOD. I think your right, this does improve the SQ by a great deal. Definitely worth ones time.

Sorry for the small pics, its just to give one a feeling for the final product, I can host the originals if needed.

One thing I noted was the 47 ohm resisters were making me push my IPOD vol back up to 75%, much like the Bass setting on the POD. The 33's seem to back that down to the 60% range, I liked the sound at 47, but found the 33 to be a compromise for SQ and Vol level just driving the 716's out of my IPOD. For 62.00 and now a few bucks to adjust them they are a great set of IEMs for the money. They are a nice addition to my others now that I have dialed them in for my preference.

Nov 8, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #38 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten
Thanks JSatch for pushing this one... I finally just got the heat shrink and the 33 and 47 ohm resisters and made it happen. No doubt, a BIG difference, I found the 33's to suit my taste so just wrapped it all up. Its much easier to handle the bundle now, that POD had to go, as I just want one signature and vol controlled from the IPOD. I think your right, this does improve the SQ by a great deal. Definitely worth ones time.

Sorry for the small pics, its just to give one a feeling for the final product, I can host the originals if needed.

One thing I noted was the 47 ohm resisters were making me push my IPOD vol back up to 75%, much like the Bass setting on the POD. The 33's seem to back that down to the 60% range, I liked the sound at 47, but found the 33 to be a compromise for SQ and Vol level just driving the 716's out of my IPOD. For 62.00 and now a few bucks to adjust them they are a great set of IEMs for the money. They are a nice addition to my others now that I have dialed them in for my preference.

CMasten,

Wonderful, I am glad you are enjoying the mod.

I also had the impression that this mod garners an improved SQ, freq extension and refinement. I really didn’t want to stress this as I didn’t still have a podded version to directly compare, only memory. So I was a little reserved in my comparisons as to how much of a difference it makes.

As for volume, make sure you have the 'Sound Check', in the Settings section, turned OFF. It decreases volume and negatively affects SQ.

I now have 68-Ohm resistors in, and my vol is back up to about 75% on the iPod. This is similar to the HD setting on the pod.

An interesting point about iPod volume; has anyone noticed that the iPod sounds better when put through a stereo at about 90% volume than at lower volumes?
confused.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your detailed comments and pictures of your Hot-Rodded phones.

Enjoy!

PS- Now that you have the DIY bug, have you thought of making foamies?
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=im716

Nov 8, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #39 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
I think I may leave it how it is and get a supermini 4 because you can adjust the impedance on that so I won't need resistors correct?

If by adjust you mean 0 or 75 ohms, then yes. I hope you didn't think it's a dial that you can adjust to your liking.

Doing what jSatch has done is finding the perfect sound for his situation. If I had your skills, I'd do exactly the same
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #40 of 352
Quote:

CMasten,

Wonderful, I am glad you are enjoying the mod.

I also had the impression that this mod garners an improved SQ, freq extension and refinement. I really didn’t want to stress this as I didn’t still have a podded version to directly compare, only memory. So I was a little reserved in my comparisons as to how much of a difference it makes.

As for volume, make sure you have the 'Sound Check', in the Settings section, turned OFF. It decreases volume and negatively affects SQ.

I now have 68-Ohm resistors in, and my vol is back up to about 75% on the iPod. This is similar to the HD setting on the pod.

An interesting point about iPod volume; has anyone noticed that the iPod sounds better when put through a stereo at about 90% volume than at lower volumes?
confused.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your detailed comments and pictures of your Hot-Rodded phones.

Enjoy!

PS- Now that you have the DIY bug, have you thought of making foamies?
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=im716

I found the perfect fitting tip for me, the Shure SoftFlex Sleeve (small) is just awesome. Comfortable, easy to get in and out of the ear and I would think last pretty much forever? They were recommended by a user up here and I sure find them an excellent addition to a great IEM.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #41 of 352
does the amount of mircrophonics increase after removing the pod?

I have had a pair of the 716's since the begining of this summer. Reciently if I waggle around the wire going from the Right ear piece near the pod, the sound cuts off. It has been getting worse and worse. Do you guys think that a removing the pod would fix this probem?

thanks

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #42 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by warmapplepie

I have had a pair of the 716's since the begining of this summer. Reciently if I waggle around the wire going from the Right ear piece near the pod, the sound cuts off. It has been getting worse and worse. Do you guys think that a removing the pod would fix this probem?

thanks

For me, the microphonics is completely gone. I used to have to wear the im716 ala sure style, but now I can wear them normally with no hint of microphonics what so ever. I do not think removing the pod will help that problem though because that seems like a connection issue with the cable and monitor.

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #43 of 352
for another perspective, I notice just as much m'phonics. I am not sure if the fast attacking nature of the armatures causes this or what.. but my SP5pros have none of it. I just re-did my podectomy as I was noticing one side cutting out, I used a LOT less shrink wrap the 2nd time around and cut the cable on the stereo miniplug side down, learning from the first attempt. I can say that with the 33 ohm resistance now, that my IPOD 5g doesnt need any EQ at all anymore with these IEMs and I am really getting used to the tight bass and fast attacking treble, its pretty addictive
smily_headphones1.gif
I could never find the right setting for my ears between the HD and the Bass setting on the POD... this DIY just rocks

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #44 of 352
Quote:

P to S connector. I will not be making a P to S connector, so, sorry, no pics. The process is the same as above- add varying resistance to the left and right channel leads to increase impedance. You can buy a plug (male end), receptor (female end), and a piece of wire to splice the resistors into, or just buy an extension cord and splice in the resistors.

This topic has inspired me a bit to make a tutorial for a DIY P-S connector. It should be extremely easy with a bit of patience and soldering skill.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #45 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by warmapplepie

thanks

I think the amount of microphonics remains the same, or theoretically it should, but, and a very BIG BUTT, is that you don't have the pod swinging around, or even if anchored down, the wires moving around, nearly as much. Although you still here microphonics if you tap on the upper wires, the far lighter weight on the cord makes a big difference in the 'apparent', or real world microphonics, which are markedly decreased. Or at least that's my take on it.

If you wiggle the right wire near the pod do you hear the static or disconnection, or near the earpiece? If near the pod, it could fix the problem, if near the earpiece, well, need I go on?

In either case, you may want to take advantage of the warrantee period before chopping anything off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back