I'm thinking of getting my Triple.Fis reshelled into customs, but I have a few questions.
Dec 30, 2009 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Daveed84

100+ Head-Fier
OK, so I snagged a couple pairs of Triple.Fi 10s when they were $99, just like most other people here. I'm a little disappointed with the fit, though, and I've been considering getting the earphones reshelled into custom molds. I honestly have no idea what this entails, however, and I wanted to ask a few questions about it before I went and had it done. Answer as few or as many as you want/can... any info at all would be much appreciated! Maybe one day this stuff can be turned into a FAQ or something
smily_headphones1.gif

1. How much does this sort of thing cost? My local audiologist will make molds for $30 for both ears, "just the molds". They also quoted me a price of $150 for both ears, but I'm not sure what this included. I think they would make the shells too but I don't know if they'd do the actual reshelling.

2. What are the pros/cons of getting this done?

3. Are there significant changes in sound? Will they sound different, for better or for worse? I noticed that if I use the included Comply foam tips, I get a lot of sibilance, but if I just use the silicone sleeves then it sounds fine. Is this normal, and can this sort of thing happen if I get them reshelled?

4. Is the process reversible? That is, can they be removed from the molds and placed back in the original shells, if for some reason I don't like them?

5. Are they easy to remove/insert? I have to remove my earphones literally dozens of times a day, sometimes only getting to wear them for a few minutes at a time -- they are my work 'phones.

6. Any tips or other general information I should know? Like about storing them, cleaning them, etc.

7. What's a good place to have these done?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it's a big decision for me to make, I think. Or maybe I'm just worrying too much
smily_headphones1.gif

So that's it! Thanks in advance!

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 5
1. You should be getting impressions, not molds - if you are planning to engage either Fisher Hearing or Unique Melody to do the reshell of ur Tf10s. I think the molds your audiologist is talking about might be similar to Westone's UM56, but that's my guess. Prices wise they differ most of the time, usually from $30 or $40 upwards from what I've been reading around here.

2. Pros: Excellent Seal (if your impressions are good), you might like the new sound but YMMV. Usually better build quality and cables are now replaceable.

Cons: You can't share your music. You might hate the new sound. You might feel uncomfortable wearing customs. Your impressions might turn out bad, thus requiring refits.

3. Somewhat touched about in the earlier 2 poins.

4. No

5. I don't find it an issue, not sure about you.

6. Just treat them like how you usually treat something really expensive.

7. Unique Melody and Fisher Hearing are the only 2 known ones around here I think. Should be safe with either.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveed84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5. Are they easy to remove/insert? I have to remove my earphones literally dozens of times a day, sometimes only getting to wear them for a few minutes at a time -- they are my work 'phones.

still waiting for my full customs so can't be for definate but when I had custom tips for my 530's I tried to keep them in my ears for as long as possible because taking them in and out was rather tedious as it did require a few seconds (think 15 per ear) to get the fit right..few seconds might seem trivial but if you're taking them in and out constantly its going to pee you off. If I was in a situation where they would be in and out of my ears I would use my S2's because they are a one second pop in the ear jobbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back