I'm so bummed that I hate my new Ultrasone HFI 780's.
Jun 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

uglysteve

Head-Fier
Hello all,

Sad story...I was out of town for work, and found a great price on some Ultrasone HFI 780's, so I had them shipped to the hotel in California.  I received them on Friday and immediately plugged them into my ipod/e7 combo where they stayed, burning in for the last 72 hrs.  I put them on my head today and wanted to cry.  

I purchased these after doing a bunch of reading here about "fun" headphones.  I read numerous posts about how the 780's were a great phone for rock, pop and similar genres.  I was willing to put up with a bit of discomfort for a good audio experience.  

These cans are NOT fun for my ears.  There is no mid range.  It's all punchy bass, very recessed mids and harsh tinny highs.  Again...i so wanted to love these.  

So I currently own some dt990's which i love, some dt770's which i like and these Ultrasones which i hate.  I also own a cheap $50 pair of sony MDR EX71-SLA IEMs which sound 10 times better than the ultrasones.  I've already printed the return label and will be shipping them out tomorrow :frowning2:.  

So can anyone here recommend something i will love based on my likes and dislikes so far?  I listen to a very wide variety of genres, ranging from bluegrass to classical to pop to metal and others.  I like bass when the song calls for it, but not boomy, beats or bose type bass.  I guess i'm done trying to find a great set of closed cans better than my 770's. 

Does grado or Sennheiser have anything that you think i may like?  My range is about $350 or less and i am amping with any one of 3 amps.  I have an e7/e9 combo, Bellari ha540 and a millet hybrid starving student.  

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 38
400 hours burn in for them Ultrasones.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 38

Quote:
Hello all,

These cans are NOT fun for my ears.  There is no mid range.  It's all punchy bass, very recessed mids and harsh tinny highs.  Again...i so wanted to love these.    

That sounds about right to me. Matches my experience. Many people here on Head-fi tout the 780 as neutral but I think the 580 actually has a more pleasant sound.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:
That seems excessive.  I will, however give them some more time, but they have a LONG way to go to get my approval sound quality wise.  

Give them two days. If you don't like it then, return them. There are many other headphones to choose from.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 38
I auditioned a well-worn set at my local dealer and I had virtually the same experience. I could not believe how they were both bloated and tinny. Try some HD-25s

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 38
If you prefer a neutral sound with that Ultrasone touch, maybe the HFI-680 will do you some justice. The HFI-780 is more treble based, which may explain the 'tinny' sound you're hearing. The HFI-580 is also another contender, but since you don't like basshead bass I guess that counts as a pass.

Of course, another option would be the M50. They're good, analytical yet fun all rounders.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 38
I fully recommend the FA-003s!  Especially when I hear your complaints.  It sounds like the annoyances I had with my M50s.

FA-003 is a really clear and neutral headphone that I very honestly find great for every genre I've heard.  No V-curve, very smooth and even response and tight bass that is always there when you need it.
I thought M50s were fun-sounding on a lot of pop and metal, but this neutrality is much more fun.  I really recommend these as a fun all-arounder.

If you don't want a closed phone, I think you should try the HD558s?  Especially if you listen to a lot of classical, acoustic bands/bluegrass/jazz/anything plainly miced, and well-mastered pop.  The bass is definitely there when it is called for but it's controlled and not overbearing.  There is a lush kind of warmth in the lower midrange that is flattering for many kinds of music.  For me heavy rock could be better on them, but they will handle it pretty well.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 38
If you eat 2 cherries, do a backflip, eat a bunch of broccoli dipped in cheeze wizz, say Humphrey Bogart 6 times and take a cold shower, the highs will mellow out and become organic like the kale in my backyard, the bass will blossom like a daisy in the French countryside and the mids will be ripe as a wrinkly cantaloupe. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 38

Quote:
If you eat 2 cherries, do a backflip, eat a bunch of broccoli dipped in cheeze wizz, say Humphrey Bogart 6 times and take a cold shower, the highs will mellow out and become organic like the kale in my backyard, the bass will blossom like a daisy in the French countryside and the mids will be ripe as a wrinkly cantaloupe. 

beerchug.gif

Also, don't forget you need an Apex Pinnacle at the very least to power those bad boys. Hell, grab eight just in case.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 38
Man that sounds bad.

I do like my Ultrasones Pro 750.

I know it might sound silly, but move them around while wearing them. Move them to the front of your head, to the back (as much as possible with your ears still in the cans though LOL).

It might dramatically change the sound (not so sure if this is a good thing). The sweet spot of mine is rather large but there is very noticable differenc when I wear them "wrong". 

This is all because of the off-center positioning of the drivers and how they are supposed to indirectly put soundwaves into your earcanals. 

Anyhow, if you tried wiggling them around your head and they still don't sound awesome (as they should), return them....You might have quite an aha-moment after finding the right position on your head. Also try to have them really straight on your head....

Let us know if that helped...

K

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 38
Sennheiser HD25-I II (<$200)

And yes, I know I keep recommending these to everyone and their dog but everyone (and their dog) that actually listened and bought them has been thanking me since. 

Oh, and for a really fun surprise: Superlux HD662F. Try them, they're only $40. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 38
I own the 780 also and the mids seem a little more recessed than my Zino and Edition 8's. 

I might throw in a can that I personally find to be a real diamond in the rough.  The Sony MDR XB700.  Don't let the XB fool you.  They are surprisingly balanced.  They will deliver some thump when needed.  Other than that they really do a good job across the spectrum.  Mids are tremendous.  If you enjoy hearing lyrics, these things are superb!  Plus they are truly 2 pillows resting on your head!!  And they can be had for 79 bucks.  So you can save some cash for a nice premium 6 pack of your favorite beverage while you enjoy your new find! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 38
I skipped the HFI-780 myself due to concerns over recessed mids. I ended up getting the HFI-680 as my first Ultrasone, followed by the Pro 650 and Pro 750, since I got great deals on them. The HFI-680 are still my favorite, and I think you'd enjoy them much more than the 780, based on what you're describing. I also just got the Fischer Audio FA-003, which may unseat my HFI-680 as my favorite sealed, mid-fi headphones. I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I'm impressed with how open and refined they sound. They're also fairly neutral and offer a great, forward midrange. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back