I'm shopping for headphones/headsets and could really use some help
Mar 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kittyinabottle

New Head-Fier
I've been casually shopping on and off for a good pair of headphones/headsets for a few months and I've compiled together a list of all the headphones/headsets I found and have seen recommended quite often. My problem now is that I'm a bit overwhelmed and could use some help in the decision making process. My budget is around $100 - $130 and I plan to use them primarily for gaming, but I also do a lot of audio editing and compositing, so that needs to be considered as well. I'm not sure if that changes anything though. Anyway, here is my list:

HEADPHONES

Before, I hadn't considered headphones because I would like to have a microphone, but recently I was told about the antlion modmic which looks great, so I've decided to go ahead and add them to the list:

AKG Acoustics K-240 - $82

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - $100

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO - $96

Samson Technologies SR850 - $50

HEADSETS

Corsair Vengeance 1500 - $80

Corsair HS1A - $80

Steel Series Siberia V2 - $90

Logitech G35 - $90

So, what do you think? Which pair would work best and should I go for a gaming headset or the headphone + Antlion combo? Your help would be very much appreciated. Please feel free to suggest any other headphones/sets as well. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 10
audio technica ad700.. open headphones are good for gaming because of wider soundstage making it easier to hear location stuff

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 10
I've begun to lean towards the AD-700's as well. I've been doing a lot of research over different headphones for gaming and it seems these are the best for the price range I'm in. This process of buying headphones has been so difficult lol, I hope I make the right decision. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Hey, I'd like to throw the SRH840 into this lot. Good soundstage for a closed back. Easy to drive, and some of the best sq for the price. Relative neutrality with a touch of midrange emphasis, truly the shure house sound. Good for mastering. Maybe just a bit about your price at $150 but worth it in my opinion. Oh and did i mention...built like a tank.

And if you wanted a mic, they make some that clip to the cable and work that way, essentially making any pair of cans into a headset.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't know much at all about audio but as far as price range goes I found that purchasing used or refurbished is just as good as new.
Check out sites like buydig.com and pricegrabber.com and head-fi's for sale area.  You can find some really good deals from people who are legit.  And if you purchased used from Amazon, if you purchase from the sellers with the "fullfillment by amazon" picture, you are golden.  If anything is wrong with them Amazon takes it back no questions asked and gives a full refund.  Also, try ebay!
I know I know, when you think "pay lots of money for something" you also think "no way I'm going to ebay" but there's a lot of big name sellers that sell through ebay and nothing else, so you can also find really good deals there.

Good luck!

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I don't know much at all about audio but as far as price range goes I found that purchasing used or refurbished is just as good as new.
Check out sites like buydig.com and pricegrabber.com and head-fi's for sale area.  You can find some really good deals from people who are legit.  And if you purchased used from Amazon, if you purchase from the sellers with the "fullfillment by amazon" picture, you are golden.  If anything is wrong with them Amazon takes it back no questions asked and gives a full refund.  Also, try ebay!
I know I know, when you think "pay lots of money for something" you also think "no way I'm going to ebay" but there's a lot of big name sellers that sell through ebay and nothing else, so you can also find really good deals there.

Good luck!

I use ebay all the time for my stuff, great way to get deals. Also, check out this little company called massdrop. They're pretty awesome, they buy in bulk, kinda heading the group up if you will. Essentially you get a new product for a great price, and the run headphone related gear quite commonly. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I use ebay all the time for my stuff, great way to get deals. Also, check out this little company called massdrop. They're pretty awesome, they buy in bulk, kinda heading the group up if you will. Essentially you get a new product for a great price, and the run headphone related gear quite commonly. 

Ah good! I know too many people who steer clear of ebay.

And wow yeah that place looks nice, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back